transport Helo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transport Helo

I'd like to start by saying sorry to the 5 guys I killed when I landed my chopper right in the middle of a hot zone! I kinda got lost and didn't want to look at the map and crash.

Good news is I did learn something from that mistake. I need to plan my approach BEFORE I take off.

Anyways, I had fun flying, so I'll be glad to be on transport duty next game... unless, of course, you guys are too scared of my l33t flying skills ROFL!

Re: transport Helo

ahahahahahaha...no worries man. It happens to every new pilot at least once.
    | | |

Comment

Yeah, you probably missed my two white knuckle flights out to the NW FARP. First one ended in a crash because I didn't wait for the rotor to slow down enough after powering down and I drifted off the hillside. The next ride I took back out there someone (Sorry, I already forgot the name, I was concentrating on the MH6, lol) had the poor judgement to hop in with me. After getting a little lost in the air, I managed to find the NW FARP again and attempt a landing. When I put the auto hover on the first time it jerked us up short and all I saw was sky and I thought sure we were going to either flip or just slip into the ground backwards, so I freaked and turned it off and about hit the hillside again before getting it under control. The second time I put on the auto hover, I was ready for it and got us down safely and out of the helo. Then the server crashed, lol.

I think I will dig out my Joystick and practice flying a bit on my own before I risk anyone else's life, lol.

Comment

I havent reconfigured my keys yet since getting this Saitek gaming control...but here's how I used to land little birds...

When you're coming in for your approach, use mouselook to turn your head just enough down and to the left (or right if you sit on the right). You should see out both the left window and front windshield. This will be the view we use to land properly.

Switch back to mouse-move and pull your mouse back to nose up and slow your airspeed. Use the left window to montior how much pitch you have. This way you don't go too crazy and end up flying backwards. You should have a visual on the ground during this procedure.

Once it appears that you've slowed enough or your forward motion has stopped, level out and start using the E key to decrease your lift. As you near the ground, nose up a little more if necessary and ease up on the E key to slow your decent for a safe landing.

You can easily fly the little birds w/o any instrumentation. Just do the little head turn trick so you can visualize your angle of attack and relative airspeed. If you're only looking straight ahead, it's very, very tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
          Yeah, you probably missed my two white knuckle flights out to the NW FARP. First one ended in a crash because I didn't wait for the rotor to slow down enough after powering down and I drifted off the hillside. The next ride I took back out there someone (Sorry, I already forgot the name, I was concentrating on the MH6, lol) had the poor judgement to hop in with me. After getting a little lost in the air, I managed to find the NW FARP again and attempt a landing. When I put the auto hover on the first time it jerked us up short and all I saw was sky and I thought sure we were going to either flip or just slip into the ground backwards, so I freaked and turned it off and about hit the hillside again before getting it under control. The second time I put on the auto hover, I was ready for it and got us down safely and out of the helo. Then the server crashed, lol.

I think I will dig out my Joystick and practice flying a bit on my own before I risk anyone else's life, lol.
          hehehe saw that :D Next time we get the reserved server up, and we can get Evo up and running again (preferably Red) Ill be glad to run thru some tips and tricks that I use. One tip that I can add here is, learn to fly LOW!! Zooming up to 250 meters is gonna be tough to figure out what your landing on... Practice flying low that way you can get a much better feel for the terrain. Also, never move head on towards your LZ unless you have a clear clear view of it, if you're unsure, do a fly-by 180 and check it out first then land it. I love the LB.. my definite favorite chopper in ArmA by far (second being the Cobra). You should see SloppyJoe and I do our chase run out of Paraiso airport :P Now thats a wild ride for someone who has never been on it with us.. Slop is a great rotary pilot and he is FUN to chase around :icon20:
          Dizlor

Comment

Had alot of fun last night even though within 1st 10 mins. I was down like -35 points, and still came back to +25 by the time I went to bed. Hope we can do that again soon. We will all know more what to expect next time as well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

When planning your flight, switch to vehicle chat and start marking waypoints on the map. Make sure your approach is using cover (hills, valleys) and don't fly too fast. You want to get your troops there but you also want to make sure you don't over shoot. If you deem the area to be too hot, land at the nearest safe distance. If the troops have to tab it for a bit, so be it. You're the one responsible for both the airframe and the lives attached to it so don't feel pressured if you land pretty far away.

After you've checked out the area and marked your waypoints, bring up the mini map so you can see where to go (the waypoints you put in will also be visible).

When landing, remember that you can touch done when your under 50 kts. Just make sure you have enough time to roll to a stop ;)
              Jex.

Comment

Don't forget that ArmA has an auto-hover feature for the helicopters.
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed