Debating on getting ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating on getting ArmA

Hello, dropping by after the lastest news post on the front page. I'm now considering delving into the ArmA world. Though I have a few questions. Little background I come from the CS:S part of TG (Names just Doc in game) and as wondering how ArmA compared to CS:S in both regular and TG style. I've noticed some regulars from CS:S are playing ArmA so I'm intrested.

Re: Debating on getting ArmA

It's hard to compare ArmA to a game like CSS. ArmA is a military simulation as where CSS is a tactical shooter.

Where CSS is restricted to the boundaries of any given map, ArmA is 400 sq km of land mass called Sahrani. Missions in ArmA can take take place anywhere on Sahrani and the versatility of terrain usage is vastly different to anything you've experienced in CSS.

TG-wise...the playerbase at ArmA is top notch and the gameplay tends to be highly tactical and methodical. Communication in game is done through several in-game voip channels to allow for high levels of organization and planning to execute any given mission.

So in short...it's really apples and oranges. Take a peek through our AARs to get a good feel of what goes on here at TG.
    | | |

Comment

CS:S could be construed as a small, small portion of ArmA. You could design a close-quarters combat mission and restrict players from leaving a puny area, and it would resemble CS:S in some ways. It still won't be an arcade game, but you could get a similar feel of scale.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

This vid that Tigger posted in the PR forum is probably the best argument for buying ArmA that I have ever seen. Really captures the scale and action:

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/807574[/media]

Comment

Here is another video expressing the scale and badassness of ArmA ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcusZr4wX2A&mode=related&search=[/media]
          Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
            This vid that Tigger posted in the PR forum is probably the best argument for buying ArmA that I have ever seen. Really captures the scale and action:

God I wish I had a computer that could run that resolution!! WOW!!

Not sure if you remember these, Doc, but comparing CS:S and ArmA is like comparing Jetfighter II and Falcon 3.0. One is a shooter and one is a simulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post

Thats got to be one of the best ARMA vids I've seen.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

My word, what an epic video! They should make it a trailer.
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Cool video, now i want ARMA too. :D

Comment

Good good, apparently I didnt realise the scale of ArmA. So when Dog mentioned missions are these mission humans vs computers or humans vs humans, from the one vid it seemed like it would almost have to be one team is computers.

One more somewhat related question how taxing is this game on a computer I have a rig thats probably underaverage nowadays. Radian X1900,gig of ram(2 in about a month), 2.1 proccesser. Woud i even be worth getting the game?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Minimum specs are as follows:

Windows 2000/XP
                      2.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
                      512 MB RAM
                      8 GB free hard disk space
                      128 MB video card with Hardware Pixel/Vertex Shader Model 2.0 support
                      DirectX 9.0c (included) and OpenAL (included) compatible sound card
                      Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick peripheral
                      Broadband Internet connection required for online mutilplayer

With that said, I run a 3.0 P4, 2G of RAM, and a 7800 GS and I have everything set to "Normal" graphics and only occasionally get lag.

Comment

Originally posted by DocOpt View Post
                        Good good, apparently I didnt realise the scale of ArmA. So when Dog mentioned missions are these mission humans vs computers or humans vs humans, from the one vid it seemed like it would almost have to be one team is computers.
                        Actually, you have both flavors of gameplay within ArmA. You have Coop missions which are generally Humans vs. AI and TvT missions where it's Humans vs. Humans.

Now don't make the mistake of thinking these AI are just mindless and unskilled bots like you'd see in other games. The versatility of the ArmA Mission Editor allows mission creators to script the behavior and reactions of AI in a mission to the point where you often times can barely tell you're fighting a computer in the midst of an intense battle.
                        | | |

Comment

Well, you'll be able to tell when your sniper is eliminated by a soldier with an AK47. I'm pretty sure they made the AI a lot more fun in 1.11, though.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

i too was once debating on buying it for about 2 monthes, finally noticed it was cheap on Steam so I got it... I wish I bought this in the first place instead of DODS and all the other stupid games like that..
                            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                              i too was once debating on buying it for about 2 monthes, finally noticed it was cheap on Steam so I got it... I wish I bought this in the first place instead of DODS and all the other stupid games like that..
                              I dropped $50 on COD4 cause my ArmA wouldn't work online. After 5 days of determination and Gogetas moral support, I got it to work again!

Now I'm stuck with COD4 which sucks. Balls!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X