Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please know how to fly the Cobra .........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please know how to fly the Cobra .........

I had a great time tonight doing all those missions. Beta was an AWESOME commander and everyone else fell in line well. But I know how everyone wants to fly the Cobra and LB. But more often than not (nearly %95) the Cobra pilot takes off into the frey only to get PWNED in 30 seconds. happened about 4 missions in a row.

Later we did a mission where (ezek3)? and I manned the cobra. Only going in for sure kills and requested ground support, we were able to turn a mission in no time, with NO blufor Casualties. Not that I am patting myself on the back, but Im just saying the commander needs to designate someone who can actually fly and knows how to not get killed, to fly that cobra. cause when it is up and used right, its deadly and it saves blufor lives.

Just my $.02

Re: Please know how to fly the Cobra .........

please enlighten me.

Sunday night, me and JR cobra took off in the cobra. I can't remember the name of the map (there isn't that many with cobras anyway). Were flying low and very slowly. JRcobra kept it steady so that I could scan the horizon at full zoom. Then BAM! out of nowhere we got hit by "WTF hit us?". we ran back to base to get a repair and a fuel truck while the infantry was clearing the area in front of us (probably killing the missile launcher that got us). So we take off again. We strafe to help out the guys on the ground and we kill 1 UAZ(MG) and 1 BRDM-2 that cobra spotter but that I only saw at the last second. At the end of our first we get shot down by MG fire. It didn't seem as intense as shilka fire and was pretty far.

What could have we done? It seems the only way to attack safely with the cobra is get someone on the ground to designate targets and fire hellfires. Forget about chaingun and rockets.

Just trying to learn a thing or two here :icon_cool

Comment

I agree with JumpArtist..The large majority of people who jump in a cobra cant fly and end up getting shot down before the mission has really kicked off..but saying that the AI seems to be able to take down a cobra from anywhere with anything and with no CM cobra flying is one of the hardest things ingame to truly master..Restricting cobra use to people who can fly and have proven that would help but then how can anyone learn to fly with TG if they are banned from flying...

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

the overall commander should be in charge of the cobra too, he orders surgical strikes with it, you dont need to be especially good but simply to listen and only do what your told to do and nothing more

simply put the squad leader request air support from the commander,
        the commander evaluates the request and orders the cobra and/or other aircraft at his disposal to move to the desired location if he deems it necessary
        the cobra returns to base after it has completed its mission

whether the cobra is shot down is immaterial, that really comes down to the skill of the pilots and the troops on the ground but by following orders it keeps everything nice and organised

Comment

Shafik and I were in the cobra the other night. I was flying and we were called in for air support. It wasn't clear where we were to attack (and a point to remember - if you call in air support, mark on the map where the target is) so we moved into position and hovering.

The radar was clear and we couldn't see any targets when boom! I think we got hit by an RPG. Somehow I managed to land it but when I jumped out the pit, poor Shafik was slumped over the controls dead. I think it must've hit right in the front of the chopper.

2 lessons learned - don't rely on red dots on the radar and make sure you get the traget marked clearly on the map.

And as Predator points out, don't go mopping everything up. One cobra with access to a fuel/ammo/refuel truck can easily take out and entire map and doing so pisses off everyone on the ground
          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
            please enlighten me.

Sunday night, me and JR cobra took off in the cobra. I can't remember the name of the map (there isn't that many with cobras anyway). Were flying low and very slowly. JRcobra kept it steady so that I could scan the horizon at full zoom. Then BAM! out of nowhere we got hit by "WTF hit us?". we ran back to base to get a repair and a fuel truck while the infantry was clearing the area in front of us (probably killing the missile launcher that got us). So we take off again. We strafe to help out the guys on the ground and we kill 1 UAZ(MG) and 1 BRDM-2 that cobra spotter but that I only saw at the last second. At the end of our first we get shot down by MG fire. It didn't seem as intense as shilka fire and was pretty far.

What could have we done? It seems the only way to attack safely with the cobra is get someone on the ground to designate targets and fire hellfires. Forget about chaingun and rockets.

Just trying to learn a thing or two here :icon_cool
            Yeah on both of the fraps videos I got you can hear a boom just before the engine dies although the first time I did get hit pretty good by machine gun fire. The 3rd time Sunday JumpArtist took it close to 500 feet I don't think at that height all the machine gunners can even target you we were able to take out quite a few armored targets then.
            "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

My thoughts...

Reserving helo's for the "chosen few" will create animosity among those who want to learn how to employ it. Having a whopping few hours in the game I understand my limitations but I will want to fly the helo sooner or later. Teling us new guys we can't fly will just result in loss of players. The point is to gain players.

I agree that experience should fly but let a n00b gun and be patient with them. Nothing teaches like experience.

Play the training missions for helos. Then, play them again and... play them again. Then, play them some more. Get practice.

See previous point
              LawnDart

The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

You can always practice in single player or map editor... That's for the flying part.

To practice combat, I don't see how it could be done other than on a MP server.

Comment

Practice practice practice with helos before you start using them in team multiplayer. You're a huge asset to the team and we need you able to fly. Not up there trying to learn how to fly and blindly firing rockets. That's a liability that doesn't help the team.

There are SP helo missions available to download if you search. There are also a TON of empty Evo servers out there. I learned to fly mostly on those 'slop' servers. There's some that'll respawn just about everything and have no ranking required. Hop in, get familiar with some assets and train yourself for a while.

I'd be careful about ditching assets all over the map b/c some maps don't respawn them. But if there is a respawn and you're the only one on there, I don't see the problem in going wild. Just beware that you might need to clean-up your mess before you quit.

Comment

Yep, thats how I trained myself with the A10 and now I can hit a nickel from about 1500meters away.. :p
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Big part is the AA launchers the AI is brutal with them. I played a little of the mission we did Sunday and took out all the tanks, apc, UAZs and got through with no problems. Then I went back to base and got shot down by a missile I went and fetched the repair truck cause it was close and took the cobra back to base refueled and rearmed and took off and not more then 10 feet off the ground and WHAM I got hit by another and downed again. I don't see what you can do if you get shot at by AA soldiers the AI can't seem to avoid them either.

Comment

Yea I noticed a huge difference with the newest patch and AA kings,

Two things I truely hate about ArmA are:

*Theirs no flares to ward off heat seeking rockets
                        *Performance can change the entire course of a mission (view distance and if someone had really bad specs, mostly view distance though)
                        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                          Yea I noticed a huge difference with the newest patch and AA kings,

Two things I truely hate about ArmA are:

*Theirs no flares to ward off heat seeking rockets
                          *Performance can change the entire course of a mission (view distance and if someone had really bad specs, mostly view distance though)
                          100% agree about no flares as it stands if you get shot at with a missile by somone on the ground you are gonna get hit and if your a chopper you are gonna go down.

Also I noticed it doesn't take much damage to bring down a chopper you don't even have to hit the rotors with a MG.

Comment

Well ArmA does have the specific cause and effect areas well done in their engine.. a Rocket to the fuel tank of a chopper means boom, MG bullets generally means the choppers gonna start leaking fuel which means you need to get into friendly territory ASAP. And it is possible to dodge incoming missiles and all that but its usually only done by luck and on accident (good type of accident).

Comment

I didnt mean to piss in anyones wheaties. If one would like to fly the chopper, All you really need to do is say "dibs on chopper next round!" or just ask nicely if anyone would mind. I mean really its You (the chopper pilot) that pays for being a crappy pilot, as a trip over the AO usually results in a long wait to play again. Really all one needs to do is be patient and listen to orders, and DONT FLY OVER THE TARGET. Tonight HUND and I never got withing 500 Meters of a target and we were still getting shot at. But we ended up really helping out the team. As a commander be directive about what the cobra is to do. and as far as specifics, there is a military Procedure called a 9-line that we use to pass all pertinent ifo for a target run in.
                              Here it is, for anyone wanting to be truly serious take a look:

Do not transmit line numbers. Units of measure are standard unless otherwise
                              specified. Lines 4, 6, 8 and any restrictions are mandatory read-back items. JTAC
                              may request read-back of additional items as required.
                              “JTAC:_______________, this is__________________
                              Type______________Control_______” (either type 1 type 2 or type 3, In arma we should only use type 3)
                              1. IP/BP: “_______________________(not needed in ARMA)
                              2. Heading: “____________________(which way would you like the attack to come from in degrees)
                              3. Distance: “___________________(how far away is the target from a given point)”
                              4. Target elevation: “____________” (Meters for (ArmA)
                              5. Target description: “___________” (what is the target)
                              6. Target location: (this would be a Grid and keypad)
                              7. Type mark: “__________________ (not needed for ArmA)
                              8. Location of friendlies: (where are the good guys so we dont hit em)
                              Position marked by: “______________” (could be smoke or gunfire in ARMA)
                              9. “Egress: ______________________(direction of which you will fly exit the run in)
                              Remarks (As appropriate): “___________” (any restrictions or notes you wanna give the pilot)
                              Time-to-Target (TTT): (let ground commander know when targets will be hit)

After this you will get a Cleared hot for type 1 and 2 control and a cleared to engage in type 3.
                              type 1 is the JTAC can see you and the target: "Cleared Hot"
                              type 2 the JTAC can see you or the target : "Cleared Hot"
                              type 3 the JTAC can see neither you or the target : "Cleared to Engage"

For any one of the lines in the 9-line an N/A can be substituted for non pertinent info

The pilot will read back 4,6,8 and restrictions.

If anyone would liek to practice being a JTAC, I would be more than happy to assist either during a mission or in practice.
                              Last edited by JumpArtist; 04-10-2008, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X