Status of 'persistent' server mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of 'persistent' server mods

Hey all, I am crawling back into ArmA and am a little out of touch on the status of the TG servers. I've seen some postings about certain mods on certain nights but can't seem to find a specific schedule. I know we used to have one CoOp server and one Persistent server, but that's changed. Can anyone discuss the likes of Evolution and Domination and where they are in the server lineup? To me, these are nice ways of introducing newer players and re-aquainting players (like me) with the game. What is the status of these mods on the TG servers? Are they still around? Are there newer ones out there?

In order to get re-aquainted and also practice some, some other 10th members and I played on a public Evo server last night because the TG server was in the middle of a CoOp round. I'd rather play on a TG server, so am posting here to see what is up.

Re: Status of 'persistent' server mods

I believe both missions can be reserved for special events. However, switching missions and flying as a sea gull are less evil than a respawn despite the time saved. I think the 4th and/or 10th event run these missions.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

TG now has 2 servers (:)) and both play coop - one for large numbers and one for small. The days of Evo seem to have gone to be replaced with some great missions with some good organisation.
      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
        What is the status of these mods on the TG servers? Are they still around? Are there newer ones out there?
        Evolution is not played on the public servers here. It is played for reserved IHS events, but that is private.

If there was any question as to why they were removed was the simple fact it truly attracted a crowd we did not want here at TG, for the most part. By having it as a reserved event, the environment is much more controlled and the game play is far better resulting is a better overall experience. On top of all that, contrary to popular belief, the server never had any traffic when it was operational. It was more of a fad thing for players here and the popularity died off and it was rarely played.

But Jex just said it best:
        Originally posted by Jex;
        The days of Evo seem to have gone to be replaced with some great missions with some good organisation.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Lately (especially since the addition of the ShackTac missions), I've seen (& played) more and more TvT no-respawn missions on the "large" server. While coop has its appeal, just like in any game, human opponents are much more fun to play against :)
          The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
            Lately (especially since the addition of the ShackTac missions), I've seen (& played) more and more TvT no-respawn missions on the "large" server. While coop has its appeal, just like in any game, human opponents are much more fun to play against :)
            I think the two types offer different kinds of enjoyment. Playing against the AI is more of an RPG kind of game (the enemy don't know you're coming (yet), plot elements and story lines can be included) whereas TvT is more in your face and tactical. both types shouldn't have respawns imo.
            Jex.

Comment

I'm all for no-respawn missions and I personaly used to hate Evo, my comment was supposed to be a reply to your coop only servers comment, since I've seen TG running more and more TvT lately :)

As for the RPG element, you haven't played 'Dark Business' yet, have you? :D
              (although this mission would probably only work on a scheduled night)

Comment

My enjoyment from Evo, comes from the fact that it doesn't take as much time to play. Evo plays out like all other COOP missions should you have people step up and squad lead. Any mission without SL's turns to crap. Evo eliminates time briefing and playing as a sea gull all while allowing you to experience all of the features available without needing hours to do so. I usually game in short bursts between the rest of my life. If I have an hour or two to play it sucks to have to go else where because our servers are in the middle of missions that do not have join in progress. I'm not going to waste half of my gaming time as a sea gull or deciding which mission.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Evolution is nice specifically for training people new to the game. The ability to engage the enemy any way you choose and engaging all sorts of enemies gives them at least a taste of what's to come.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I'm all for no-respawn missions and I personaly used to hate Evo, my comment was supposed to be a reply to your coop only servers comment, since I've seen TG running more and more TvT lately :)

As for the RPG element, you haven't played 'Dark Business' yet, have you? :D
                    (although this mission would probably only work on a scheduled night)
                    Nope - haven't even heard of it - any good? :)
                    Jex.

Comment

http://dslyecxi.com/shackposts/wgl_darkbusiness.html ;)

Downside is it can't work without proper comms & sides separations. It's probably worn out for the Shack people though, but the mission was a blast back when I used to play with them.

If you follow Dslyecxi's videos, you could see more excelent role-playing missions (sometimes ending hilariously), although many of them really need the closed group they have.

Comment

If you follow Dslyecxi's videos, you could see more excelent role-playing missions (sometimes ending hilariously), although many of them really need the closed group they have.
                        There are quite a few missions we have that rely heavily upon our group composition, style, standards, etc, and Dark Business is a good example of one like that. Unfortunately, because of the requirements from the playerbase, it's not a mission we intend to share due to concerns that it would be mis-played by the general public.

Comment

I understand about Evo - some of you may recall that I was an admin then and had to police the Evo server (which was definitely populated at the time) - and that was with the publicly posted password. I saw the fires at the base, I banned people for abusing assets. Evo is definitely best used for training, with a known crowd, and therefore with a secret password. But Evo is only one of several persistent mods for ArmA.

That said, I'm still a little unclear about other persistent mods available and running at TG - by persistent I mean that players can come and go (assuming they can procure transport into battle). Personally, I can't adhere to specific join times for CoOp. I typically only have a couple of hours at night to game, so when I do I would rather not spend that time waiting for the next restart - nor do I enjoy hopping in a channel and bugging people as to when they might be restarting again. So, what are the options for me? I'd like to participate in TG's ArmA community, but am not finding the CoOp scene particularly inviting.

Back when there was one persistent and one CoOp ArmA server at TG, the persistent made for a good launchpad for CoOp games. Further, if six players in the persistent wanted to launch a side mission, they could (Evo, Domination). While not as complex as some of the dedicated missions, these side missions are great for practice and pickup games. If no one is scheduled to use the 2nd (private?) server, why not leave it in a persistent state with an SM-only password? If for no better reason, it would let TG SM's have a persistent 'home' in ArmA on most nights.

I'm certainly not trying to stir up trouble, just re-aquaint myself with where TG is at with the game currently.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                            If no one is scheduled to use the 2nd (private?) server, why not leave it in a persistent state with an SM-only password? If for no better reason, it would let TG SM's have a persistent 'home' in ArmA on most nights.
                            An interesting proposal and one I would really enjoy having come to light. As a SM I would really enjoy getting some more ArmA time.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Friday night I was reminded why I don't enjoy playing pick-up co-op missions on the TG server. 2 hours of waiting, dis-organization and mission disarray. I ended up playing on a public (non TG) server instead, something I seem to be doing a lot of lately.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X