Fire Team Leaders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Team Leaders

It seems that since we've gained a few regular players willing to be FTL'ers, it's had a positive effect on game play. This is no coincidence. I've noticed that games that have FTL'ers who are talking to the Sl'er and managing their fireteams play out so much better than those that lack full FTL support. I also think that our regular squaddies are probably enjoying the games more now that we have good organisation. Fire Team Leaders make the games we play today! :)
    Jex.

Re: Fire Team Leaders

Can fireteams be assigned to chat just amongst themselves by the squad leader assigning them a colour using backspace? Do you udnerstand what im talking about or am i gibbering?
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

If the mission is based on fireteams, where a FTL is the "owner" of the fireteam then you can use GROUP chat or DIRECT chat just to talk to your teammates who are near you, (and a fireteam should always be together)...

The SL and FTL should talk using SIDE chat, while the fireteam leaders and members should talk using GROUP.

Now on the missions that are made with a SL in charge of the whole SQUAD, the SL can break the squad down into fireteams by "assigning" colors, but the GROUP talk will still be via the whole squad... if I understand this and your question correctly.

BTW, I've joined in a few games lately, and got to admit been some fantastic fun, good tactics and good team... been a pleasure.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I'm hoping we get some more FTLs and SLs as players gain experience. It's actually quite a bit of fun and now it's weird to me to play and NOT lead a fire team. It's like I'm running around naked or something if I don't have a handful of guys under me.

Well...that sounds a bit weird..... But you know what I mean. I hope.

Only drawback is that now everytime I join, people ask me to lead something. Kinda flattering that they trust me to lead but if it's a weekend and I'm boozing while playing, it's super hard to concentrate on that many things at once.

Comment

Guys the SOP for comms is posted and should be followed by all players on the TG server. It can be found here:
          http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...comms-sop.html

Comment

Originally posted by vanity11 View Post
            Only drawback is that now everytime I join, people ask me to lead something.
            This is the draw back and it gets tiring after a while. Fortunately we seem to have some people prepared to step up to the plate which means we can now usually field proper SL/FTL.

It still amazes me that people are still not confident to take on SL. The only time you'll have a problem is when people won't follow orders. You can't make people do things (but you can shoot them :))

One concern seems to be that people are afraid to mess it up. All I can say to this is so what? It's only a game - we play 5-50 arma missions a week. That's only 260 a year (at the low end) so who gives a stuff if one of those doesn't go according to plan. Still not comfortable? Take a FTL slot and just follow the orders set by the SL (if it goes wrong, blame him).

By stepping up and taking the reins, you'll find it's a worthwhile experience most of the time.
            Jex.

Comment

On my way.
              But will need a few over the top missions to polish up on my ArmA know-how.
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                This is the draw back and it gets tiring after a while. Fortunately we seem to have some people prepared to step up to the plate which means we can now usually field proper SL/FTL.

It still amazes me that people are still not confident to take on SL. The only time you'll have a problem is when people won't follow orders. You can't make people do things (but you can shoot them :))

One concern seems to be that people are afraid to mess it up. All I can say to this is so what? It's only a game - we play 5-50 arma missions a week. That's only 260 a year (at the low end) so who gives a stuff if one of those doesn't go according to plan. Still not comfortable? Take a FTL slot and just follow the orders set by the SL (if it goes wrong, blame him).

By stepping up and taking the reins, you'll find it's a worthwhile experience most of the time.
                The only reason I don't like SL, is that I think in it's form now it involves too much micromanaging and is becomes overly difficult.

For instance:

I don't see why I need to move to the battlefield with you. I'm too valuable as a SL to engage in combat. If I get taken out most likely no one else is going to take over then it's all pandemonium. And I'm only one man with my medic anyway. I'm not turning any tides in battle that way.

Also, telling people which vehicles to take. If you're in Alpha squad and you see you're moving into open terrain, take whatever vehicle you think you need to survive. I'm not going to hold you back from an asset for no reason. Whether it's the M2 or .50 Stryker, I couldnt care less. Here's your objective, there's the tools, take what you need to complete it.

As far as spotting/observing, if we can't take a helo to over watch positions, then I can watch on a map and direct forces, relying on FTL feedback for info on what's going on. I wish it had a more top-down "Commander" approach like in BF2. Watch from a satellite or recon drone...something like that.

Those are my thoughts. Maybe I'm completely wrong, correct me if i am.

Comment

I don't see why I need to move to the battlefield with you. I'm too valuable as a SL to engage in combat. If I get taken out most likely no one else is going to take over then it's all pandemonium. And I'm only one man with my medic anyway. I'm not turning any tides in battle that way.
                  A squad leader is not "too important" to fight. Squad leaders direct the maneuver of fireteams - you can't do that from a kilometer away. You have to be down there with them, on the ground, getting shot at the same as them. You can be a bit more cautious in how you move and take measures to preserve yourself and your medic, but you simply cannot sit back in an office elsewhere on Sahrani and direct your guys over the radio. The only role that even gets remotely close to that is the Platoon Commander, who typically is more removed from the frontline fighting than the squad leaders. By "more removed" I mean maybe 200-300 meters off of the front most of the time, if not closer.

From a personal standpoint, I would not let myself be led by a squad leader who felt he was "too important" to fight it out with my team leaders and grunts. That's a really bad sign and will lead to a lot of heartache.

Comment

Then maybe I'm not sure exactly what my duties are in that role. Everything is kinda vague that I've read.

Comment

Then maybe I'm not sure exactly what my duties are in that role. Everything is kinda vague that I've read.
                      Have you read this? It breaks it down from PltCo to SL to FTL to FTM.
                      http://dslyecxi.com/armattp2.html#or...dership_squads

Comment

thankyou!

Comment

I think a big reason the SL is treated as such is that in the SimHQ missions (usually where the SL is used most) you are basically in command of a minature "platoon". You have LOTS of assets, so your fireteams move on their own, often not in visual contact. They are essentially a squad for all intensive purposes.

On the maps with more slots, where you have multiple squads, THEN SLs tend to stick with their fireteams as there usually aren't as many vehicles to go around, so a squad might only get 1 or 2 vehicles to pile in.

Comment

yea from what i seen of the simhq missions, they tend to put ALOT more vehicles on the map than necesary... kinda overkill really.

So it turns into a more vehicle centric shoot em up with a few scattered infantry, mostly sniping or observing, rather than the vehicles SUPPORTING the infantry, which I think is far more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                              yea from what i seen of the simhq missions, they tend to put ALOT more vehicles on the map than necesary... kinda overkill really.

So it turns into a more vehicle centric shoot em up with a few scattered infantry, mostly sniping or observing, rather than the vehicles SUPPORTING the infantry, which I think is far more interesting.
                              You can salvage these missions simply by showing self-control* and avoiding the other vehicles.

* "Self control" in this context on a public server usually means taking the biggest cannon you can find and blowing up every vehicle that you do not want to be used

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X