ArmA Squad Leadership - current and future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA Squad Leadership - current and future

Hey there figured Id make a thread here about leading in ArmA. Currently there is a distinct lack of anyone wanting to lead Fire Teams or Squads, and I think its more of the case that players dont know how to go about it than they dont want to do it entirely.

So Im offering to help players who are interested in the leadership aspects but afraid to just do it. I myself am new to leading in Armed Assault but have a history of leading squads in the BF2 mod project reality, some of which the same skills can be applied to both games.

As for organisation and procedures, I think its important for every potential leader to familiarize themselves with dsylexi's guide to organised squads, as its a great source for understanding why its important to lead players in game and how to go about doing it.
    Tactics Techniques and procedures Guide: http://dslyecxi.com/armattp2.html

My main wish for this thread is to make a list of all current players who are interested or comfortable in leading a squad/fireteam in TG. Since its such a small community, a list like this would not be hard to make. I'll start the list off with 2 players who I know are comfortable leading squads:

TG Platoon Leaders (Experienced):
    • Switch

TG Squad Leaders (Experienced):
    • beita
    • AtlantaFalcons
    • Switch
    • Shafik

TG Fire Team Leaders (Experienced):
    • beita
    • AtlantaFalcons
    • Switch
    • Shafik
    • Krako
    • Vic
    • B

TG Fire Team Leaders (In Training):
    • vanity11
    • Jeepo_SAS

TG Squad Leaders (In Training):
    • B
    • Vic

TG Platoon Leaders (In Training):

So if your interested in contributing to in-game squad leadership, please post your thoughts, and if you want to learn please post a time when youd like to do it! Any other comments/discussion welcome.
    Last edited by fuzzhead; 04-19-2008, 06:32 AM.

Re: ArmA Squad Leadership - current and future

Great idea there, Fuzz. I'll be happy to have my name up on that list.

Comment

I'm comfortable with leading a fire team. As long as we have a solid squad leader who's not affraid to delegate.

Comment

I'm fine with any command position... had a good time as a CO months back when we were trying the large scale TvT, FTL and SL is good too.
        (while my mic and headphones are broken now, they will be replaced in short order)
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I like leading Fire Teams in co-op but not yet in TvT.

Comment

While I do have a strange playing schedule, I find myself leading a Fireteam whenever possible.

I'm not that comfortable with a Squad Leader role yet, but I'm going to take that position (despite my non-native English and limited experience in this role) if nobody else steps up.
            The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

I will lead a fireteam quite often, I would prefer to only lead a squad if I have competent FTLs (or at least FTLs with mics), and I've lead a platoon-ish force a few times now .. with mixed results, again, it depends greatly on the squad leaders.

I would definately be interested in leading a full platoon if there were FTLs and SLs that were willing to give it a try. TvT or Coop ... I treat them the same, so I am comfortable with both.

TvT just tends to go to hell faster :)

Comment

Just came back into Arma since playing from 1.06... Still new and lot of tricks I learned like the how to mark the map with all different colors and different markers have been forgotten.

But since I came back I am finding myself on FTL a lot. I enjoy it as well. I would like to go up to Platoon leader or squad leader. But gotta relearn this game first.

I used to squad lead a lot in BF2 in TG and command as well.

Comment

I would love to move up the chain a bit, to fire team leader at least, but im afraid i dont really know where to start, i will read dyslexcis manual on the dutys he posted, but training is where its really at. I am very vocal during play, as most can agree with ;) but when it comes to stepping up, im not, i have to learn to make decisions that may go wrong! So starting as a FTL may be the first step?!

Comment

Occasionally I take up the FTL role. Main problems I have are:

1. Often I don't understand what people are saying and have to ask multiple times what they said. When things get rough you don't really can afford for communication to take that long. I really wish I could manipulate the VON volume separately so I can better understand what people are saying. Might not be realistic but I think the teamwork aspect is more important.

2. Not really good at doing to many things at the same time. So being under fire, having to direct your FT and trying to filter the comms relevant to you within all the other comm traffic can be pretty tough for me.

3. In general I'm not a leading kind off person, I will do it (and often enjoy it) if there is one needed, but it is not my natural inclination to do so.

So in short I'm available, but would not call myself experienced or fully proficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                      i will read dyslexcis manual
                      It's the best resource you can find for this, unless you want to read hundreds of pages of actual tactical manuals and distill it to what would be appropriate in game.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I'm more than happy to lead a fireteam and sometimes I'm in the mood to lead a squad. I don't like leading an entire operation unless I've prepared for it, though.
                        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I like to lead FTs, i just feel i need more experience and more tutoring in that area. i guess watching from the sidelines (rifleman) can help with that tho.

Comment

I lead a few fire teams last night and am willing to do so in the future.
                            "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

Well apparently you can only edit your posts so many times on this forum, so I wont be able to continue to update the list the way I was doing it, but keep posting please maybe a moderator can sort things out

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X