Cheaters on the server TG last night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaters on the server TG last night

So there was a couple incidents last night where random artillery started killing people, in missions where there is clearly no such artillery.

the operation human shield mission had bombs going off and missles(!) coming from the sky.

beta's new map at one point had everyone shooting rockets from their guns(!)

i think we can reasonably assume that this is someone cheating/hacking because we have played human shield many times without that happening before, and betas map played with no incidents with smaller amounts of players.

This stuff is only happening when the server starts filling up, at one point I believe we had more than 40 players and thats when it was happening.

I cant place the exact time when it was happening but was around 10-12pm EST.

Does anyone have any more information on how cheats work on ArmA and how to detect/prevent/ban players from using such things?

Re: Cheaters on the server TG last night

I've heard it stated by a wise Arma leader that quality is better than quantity. This is a example of that. The time investment required to accomplish objectives and coordinate troops/teams makes it very frustrating when folks haven't done thier homework or just haven't matured to be here for the right reasons. I believe having the servers password protected was not such a bad idea. Also making the reading of required SOP's mandatory to gain access to the password (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...comms-sop.html) Making TS madatory again as a last resort incase someone has technical questions or having probs with VON would deter any idiot that wants to disrupt folks that are playing at TG. Obviously VON is the choice but when it's not working comms are still necessary for accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
      So there was a couple incidents last night where random artillery started killing people, in missions where there is clearly no such artillery.

the operation human shield mission had bombs going off and missles(!) coming from the sky.

beta's new map at one point had everyone shooting rockets from their guns(!)

i think we can reasonably assume that this is someone cheating/hacking because we have played human shield many times without that happening before, and betas map played with no incidents with smaller amounts of players.

This stuff is only happening when the server starts filling up, at one point I believe we had more than 40 players and thats when it was happening.

I cant place the exact time when it was happening but was around 10-12pm EST.

Does anyone have any more information on how cheats work on ArmA and how to detect/prevent/ban players from using such things?

Unfortunately, there are the occasional clowns that pass through that will do something that ruins everyone's experience. The best thing to do if this ever happens again, is either grab a admin and/or take a quick screen shot of the player listing with player IDs.

As with any game, kiddies will find a way to exploit games by cheating just so they can gt their kicks out of ruining a perfectly good game.

I have a fix for that specific incident you talked about and it will be implemented the next time the server is restarted.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

They basocally make their own mods that allow for missiles as bullets/bombs falling/ spawning 1000 civvies and crap like that. Battle Eye may stop it. If we know who did it they can be permanently banned from the server.
        Jex.

Comment

Was always wondering why our servers dont run battle eye, what is reason?
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Performance, performance, performance.... Throw a little bit of mature gaming in there and it should not be needed.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

thanks big c hopefully it wont be a problem in the future.

take a quick screen shot of the player listing with player IDs
              how do i take a screen with a player listing AND their player IDs?

Comment

Don't jump on me if I am wrong, but hitting your "p" button brings up a player listing of who is ingame. Than simply click on the player in question and their details are displayed. As for a screen shot, that one is dependent on what key you setup.

I believe you should be able to type:
                #userlist

That should work.
                Last edited by TheBigC; 04-19-2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

You could probably just do a printscreen, and how much does BE throw off the servers performance?

and yea, ive noticed alot less cheaters from the new updates of the game but their still are a handful of basement dwellers.
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

so we would have to save every players ID screen (40+) then send all them to you?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                      so we would have to save every players ID screen (40+) then send all them to you?
                      If I remember correctly, just take a pic of the main page. That is all I need....

Comment

Why does it tell you what mods they are running?

Comment

No it gives their Arma Number I think, each player has a unique number then you can just ban them from the server. If you use PrintScreen, remember that it only copies the image to your clip board - you'll need to paste it into MS paint or something.
                          Jex.

Comment

yea, but that wont tell you the person thats using the hacks and from my experience it is pretty difficult to make sure on who the hacker is in arma.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                              yea, but that wont tell you the person thats using the hacks and from my experience it is pretty difficult to make sure on who the hacker is in arma.
                              No, of course it won't and there is no way of telling unless they give themselves away.
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X