Kill Indicators - Remove or keep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill Indicators - Remove or keep?

Well apparently its a very simple variable to change in the server config that removes the kill indicator. What I mean by kill indicator is the 'fuzzhead was killed by donkey' text that comes up whenever someone dies/gets killed.

I think this takes away a huge portion of immersion, as you know exactly who is getting killed (and often by what by just hearing the sound of the gunfire when the message pops up).

I think I dont need to remind you that even PR has had this removed for a loooong time now and goes a long way to increasing immersion and interesting gameplay developements.

The only downside is I dont know if there is a way to see teamkill messages only, so that could be a potential problem.

Please discuss.

Re: Kill Indicators - Remove or keep?

Get rid of the messages. If you can't confirm the kill it adds to the game imo. Coop also needs this for "Jex spots a tank 500m away that he didn't actually see.." messages, enemy positions on map (little red moving triangles, vehicles) and respawns.
    Jex.

Comment

I agree that a lot of these things should go. The kill messages, tracers for every weapon (sniper rifles too!), and the "auto-spot".

I also think that the VonID flag should be turned ON for veteran, it simply makes things needlessly complicated, the other things being removed from veteran are welcome (for me at least).

For info on what the names are of the various flags and what they do, here's the wiki for it.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Comment

The kill messages should leave in veteran mode at the very least.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Another vote for turning them off, in both modes (although I hope this won't make removing troublemakers harder)
          The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

I'd be fine with removing them. I also wouldn't mind if the 'crosshairs' went away too. Just keep friendly tags on or else its too hard to know who is who. I feel that it makes up for name tags and recognizing squad mate faces in the real world. I would also like to keep the VON speaker display thing on too because I can't recognize each person's voice independently. I play on the server a lot but I don't play THAT much.

"If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?"

Yeah that would be nice.
            Last edited by Jakerod; 04-21-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Yea I vote for turning crosshairs off too.

Too bad there isnt a way to just reduce the range that the nametags are drawn, and dont have them draw out past 50-75 meters

Comment

i agree...get rid of kill messages, and the autospot, but keep friendly tags and von tags.

i think is a sniper on overwatch spots enemys, that a map marker is ok...after all, in real life a trained sniper would be able to relay exact enemy positions to his mates as well.

Comment

oh yeah...turn off x-hairs too...

Comment

I'm up for turning of kill message..but tags cross hairs etc should only be removed in vet mode this allows any new person to the server a chance to get used to play before taking away everything and making it harder

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

IMHO, removing the kill messages is a no-brainer. Take out the scoreboard too.

Comment

I agree about the kill messages, but the crosshairs should stay. They're as good a representation of point shooting as any for a computer game, and actually quite important in the "everybody has an ACOG" missions.

Comment

i agree with last, i have no issues removing all. only thing to consider are attracting new players.
                          along with this however, point shooting in 2D (computer game) requires certain things which may seem unrealistic. obviously cross-hairs don't exist (even though they are working on an immersive eye system within the advanced warfighter trials), but given the lack of hand-eye/depth perception, it's neccesary unless you're going to full blown sighting.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post

Too bad there isnt a way to just reduce the range that the nametags are drawn, and dont have them draw out past 50-75 meters
                            i think spooner has a script for this, the script enables name tags at a certain distance (cant remember how far it was now aprox. 20m)

Comment

Originally posted by *spacecadett* View Post
                              i think spooner has a script for this, the script enables name tags at a certain distance (cant remember how far it was now aprox. 20m)
                              AFAIK that script depended on a "user action" in the action menu and required you to be facing the player. IMO, it was more hassle than it was worth.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X