Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to ARMA

Hi guys

First post here so I'd just like to say a big hello.

I've just ordered this game based on what I've read here and Dyslexsia's (SP) guide. I really like the look of it and the tactical elements really appeal to me. My only worry is that it looks difficult to get into. I just wondered if this was an accurate perception or not? The number of key binds alone appears daunting. Being one of your more mature (46) mature gamers I just hope I can adapt to it quite quickly. I've been playing COD4 alot recently but this looks a step way up and beyond that.

On a related note I've read a good few posts here on the forum about getting started and I'm a bit confused. Once I've installed what are the main patches and/or mods I will need to get online? I assume I will need to ground myself with the single player initially but it's the Co-op elements that really appeal. I have a good mic and headset and I'm used to TS and Vent but again the in game VOIP channels also seems a bit daunting.

Am I just being an old fart? (Don't answer that) Any hints and tips for getting started would be greatly appreciated

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Re: New to ARMA

Patch your game up to 1.08 first and then find the 1.12 beta. That is current version of the server.

Do not try to bother too much with the single player, except the tutorials. That should at least get you started as a grunt. As time goes on you can ask your fellow players will get you caught up.

Comment

You'll need the 1.12 beta patch to play on TG, so depending on where you buy it from I think you'll have to use up to three patches (1.05, 1.08 & 1.12 beta) to get set.
      No mods needed.

Nah it's not hard to play, you'll just have to get used to it. It's a rather slow paced game.
      You don't need a lot of key binds to get going, but you'll probably memorize a few as you go. At first you'll just need the basic movement and weapons keys. Start off playing an infantry role and hang on to your squad and listen to your leader and you'll be fine.

When it comes to training, I recommend that you utilize the mission editor as it allowes you to quickly enter your mission to preview it.
      So you can just place a sniper set as the player on top of a hill and place some enemies below, pop into action and train your marksmanship. Same thing with flying, just place a helo on a random spot in the mission editor and click preview to get some free flying without enemies to shoot you down.

So welcome aboard and I'll see you in game :)
      Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
        Patch your game up to 1.08 first and then find the 1.12 beta. That is current version of the server.

Do not try to bother too much with the single player, except the tutorials. That should at least get you started as a grunt. As time goes on you can ask your fellow players will get you caught up.
        Thanks for that, much appreciated. I seem to think I've read that the Gold Edition of the game is already patched to 1.08, does anyone know if this is correct? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the Gold Edition?

On a separate note is it ok for new players to jump on TS to ask questions or is this not a good idea (obviously I don't mean during a game).

Thx for help and sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Yes, I have the gold edition and it came with 1.08.

Here is the link to what you need to know about the 1.12 beta patch you will need.
          http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_Beta_Patch_1.12

Make sure you read most of the page, because it tells you how to start the game with the beta patch (you won't use the desktop shortcut), as well as how to uninstall it when th final comes out. (the uninstaller is actually in the patch folder you download, so make sure you save it somewhere safe for later use.)

Don't get too hung up on the single player. It is really buggy and people don't buy the game for the single player (just like for BF2).

See you in the server.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
            Thanks for that, much appreciated. I seem to think I've read that the Gold Edition of the game is already patched to 1.08, does anyone know if this is correct? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the Gold Edition?

On a separate note is it ok for new players to jump on TS to ask questions or is this not a good idea (obviously I don't mean during a game).

Thx for help and sorry for all the questions.
            Most people in the TG community are really helpful over teamspeak. Don't feel worried about not knowing answers and wanting to ask. The sooner we get you up to speed, the better our gameplay becomes. It's a win-win to help you and guide you through the game. You'll add to our experience and entertainment as well as your own.

As far as your age, my dad is a huge gamer and he's in his early 50s. The COD series is a favorite of his and he too has problems with all the keys. I've been hesitant to introduce him to ArmA b/c it's so much more complex....but look at it this way;

You only need to know a few select, very basic commands to get started. As you become comfortable with those and build the hand-mind coordination, you can introduce other keys. Would you turn down an amazing new job just b/c it'd require learning a new product or systems? Probably not. You go in, ask your way through, and do the best you can. It's just like any other learning process and it's fantastically rewarding. It's a challenge and it's a game, all in one.

Comment

Thx again for the helpful replies. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but where do I find the TS server information?

Comment

Here you go..

Schedule
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                  Hi guys

First post here so I'd just like to say a big hello.

I've just ordered this game based on what I've read here and Dyslexsia's (SP) guide. I really like the look of it and the tactical elements really appeal to me. My only worry is that it looks difficult to get into. I just wondered if this was an accurate perception or not? The number of key binds alone appears daunting. Being one of your more mature (46) mature gamers I just hope I can adapt to it quite quickly. I've been playing COD4 alot recently but this looks a step way up and beyond that.

On a related note I've read a good few posts here on the forum about getting started and I'm a bit confused. Once I've installed what are the main patches and/or mods I will need to get online? I assume I will need to ground myself with the single player initially but it's the Co-op elements that really appeal. I have a good mic and headset and I'm used to TS and Vent but again the in game VOIP channels also seems a bit daunting.

Am I just being an old fart? (Don't answer that) Any hints and tips for getting started would be greatly appreciated
                  Welcome Sabre !!...You'll find quite a few of us fuddies around to balance out the younger members on the server..I'm 42 myself and many of the guys are in their 30's ...You'll fit in just fine...welcome to TG...
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well I've got the game, it's now installed and patched up. I've worked through the tutorial basics and tried one of the missions where basically I did manage to blow up a couple of vehicles but I can't hit a barn door from 2 feet lol. I'm going to set up some things in the mission editor as recommended to see if I can hit something that's shooting at me.

I got the TS details and logged in last night. Got to be honest I bottled it when I saw how many people were in the channel. I didn't want to spoil the pre-arranged game by bothering someone to try and guide me through. I was wondering are there better days than others where someone may have time to give me some tips for multiplayer. It's the Co-op and multiplayer that really appeals to me, particularly the tactical interaction but I don't want to spoil anyones gaming.

I'm UK based and normally my gaming starts 9:00 pm GMT until 12:00 weekdays, weekends well 8:00 pm until I fall asleep!! Holidays could be any time plus I can get on earlier with a bit of notice.

Alternatively should I stop messing around and just jump in regardless?

While I'm hear I've noticed alot of posts regarding setting up keybinds particularly for voice channels. Has anyone got any specific recommendations for this. Also do most players use the default keybinds or is there a better system?

While I'm on the question trail are there any mods worthwhile insatlling to enhance the gameplay at all? If there are is there an idiots guide to obtaing and installing them and I do mean idiots guide :-)

Sorry for the long post - I'm really looking forward to getting into this game and I'm really keen.

Comment

Can't answer about the mods, as I have not gotten around to that yet.

As far as when it is best to jump in, Sun. is a very busy day. Tonight should be good and if I am on I don't mind helping explain things a bit better. If I am free we can even jump in something like an EVO server so you can get to try a lot of different aspects of the game in a short time. That is what I did with most of my squad mates that just started playing, and they seemed to get the hang of things very quickly.
                      There are lots of posts here about the keybinds, but mainly I just deleted some like the salute and site down.
                      For comms, what I did was put them on my mouse. I have 2 thumb buttons, and 1 of them changes the channel (global, side, group, etc) and the other is the push to talk button. I also put one button on the mouse for TeamSpeak.
                      I use the Logitech Mx510, which has a bunch of extra buttons to play with, yours might be different.
                      I use the awesome program I mentioned here a few times called Uberoptions
                      http://www.mstar.net/users/rlowens/
                      to customize my mouse. There is actually a great video tutorial in the tech forums if you search for it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thx Bamboo. I've got a Logitech G9 mouse so I've had a bit play around with the settings.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry for bump, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations about the key binds used in game. I realise it's a personal thing but I would like to tap into the experience you guys have.

Comment

Like you said, it's a personal thing, but try to bind the following to easily accessible keys:

1. Lean left and right: Leave these to their defaults - Q and E.
                            2. Compass, GPS and their respective toggles: I use T for compass, Y for GPS. Double tap to toggle.
                            3. Push-to-Talk: Default is Capslock. I use J, K, L to talk in Group, Side and Vehilcle channels.
                            4. Zoom in/hold breath: I use the space bar and RMB for a combination Zoom in and Hold breath.
                            5. Exit/Eject: U for exit, Ux2 for eject.

Comment

Welcome M8, You will soon get the hang of it! Get ready for dark circles under the eyes, nights without sleep and an addiction that makes "Crack" look like Candy!

;-)

Glad to see ya flying the sword!

I am West Coast based in the US so early mornings in the UK you will often find us on and many a strange time over weeends!

Enjoy!

Best
                              BD1
                              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse