Futureweapons - Javelin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futureweapons - Javelin

I'm watching this episode on Futureweapons about the Javelin. They're citing that in Iraq, a group of special forces armed with Javelins engaged an entire Iraqi armor column and destroyed 19 tanks.

Has anyone else heard about that? That's a lot of armor to start engaging with only troops...seems to me like something you'd call in air-power for or avoid altogether. Another unlikely story on Futureweapons?

Re: Futureweapons - Javelin

It's possible that either they didn't expect armor but happened to have a lot of stuff with them or that they knew the armor wouldn't be able to effectively engage them where they were.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

the story is true but with a caveat. The team needed to be resupplied and in the Entire engagement the total number of tanks taken out was 19. But it didn't happen all at once.
      Ill find the documentation here in a bit, but I read about it after watching that same episode of future weapons.

Comment

The tanks never figured out where all these rockets were coming from?

Comment

The range on iraqi tanks is not that great, and either is their thermal imaging system...
          Main Cannon: [media]http://budgie555.tripod.com/MXL.JPG[/media]
          Optics: [media]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/415000/images/_416729_glasses_300.jpg[/media]

its possible that they were up in hills/mountains and the tanks just could not get a sighting.
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
          That noob who crashed the chopper.
          That noob who ran over the mine.
          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Got a stream of that episode?

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
            The BigC

Comment

By the way, yesterday they showed a FutureWeapons episode in cold climate training. It was pretty interesting. Wonder why ArmA doesn't have any cold climate islands...or equipment for cold climates for that matter.

But the really awesome part was that 105mm MGS Stryker. That thing is really...a beast. It's like a M1A1 tank in terms of weapons, yet it is very nimble and manueverable. I do, however, have to wonder if the Stryker MGS is safe to fire on hillsides considering the immense amount of recoil it experiences at 90-degree firing positions. (It actually causes the Stryker to 'dance" slightly due to the rubber tires)

They also demonstrated a very effective smokescreen machine mounted on a Humvee chassis that also produces a load of false radar signatures in the smoke cloud. :D Man, if we get all these eventually modded into ArmA 2, I'll be a happy camper.
              Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

I cant find that story that talked about that engagment. If anyone can find it please post it up its a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by NKato View Post
                  By the way, yesterday they showed a FutureWeapons episode in cold climate training. It was pretty interesting. Wonder why ArmA doesn't have any cold climate islands...or equipment for cold climates for that matter.

But the really awesome part was that 105mm MGS Stryker. That thing is really...a beast. It's like a M1A1 tank in terms of weapons, yet it is very nimble and manueverable. I do, however, have to wonder if the Stryker MGS is safe to fire on hillsides considering the immense amount of recoil it experiences at 90-degree firing positions. (It actually causes the Stryker to 'dance" slightly due to the rubber tires)

They also demonstrated a very effective smokescreen machine mounted on a Humvee chassis that also produces a load of false radar signatures in the smoke cloud. :D Man, if we get all these eventually modded into ArmA 2, I'll be a happy camper.

Yea my friends dad does freelancing videography for random people/news networks that hires him and he got the chance to go to a base somewhere in Eastern Texas (I think it was) and they let him drive the stryker a little bit and all of that.. He said the controls were crazy, like being in a video game that was real. The stryker will probably be in service for quite awhile...

Whats the thing with the Humvee smoke screen? Ive never heard of anything like that or anything that can create false radar signals anyways...
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

here's the real story

[media]http://www.veoh.com/videos/v7067979SRkCTdtk[/media]

Comment

nice

Comment

you have to remember that the javelin in real life pops up and gains some altitude before coming in for final approach. with it's relatively long range, actually locating the position would be difficult unless you could see the initial flash

Comment

Originally posted by mikeman View Post
                          you have to remember that the javelin in real life pops up and gains some altitude before coming in for final approach. with it's relatively long range, actually locating the position would be difficult unless you could see the initial flash
                          You probably would still be able to see somewhat of a smoke trail though Id be guessing.
                          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

without reading/watching the report, i was under the impression that (as most aren't suicidal) a group of specops would be attacking a bunch of armoured units under the cover of darkness. flash and direction of sound may allow for location of units...smoke trail would be unobserved

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                              Yea my friends dad does freelancing videography for random people/news networks that hires him and he got the chance to go to a base somewhere in Eastern Texas (I think it was) and they let him drive the stryker a little bit and all of that.. He said the controls were crazy, like being in a video game that was real. The stryker will probably be in service for quite awhile...

Whats the thing with the Humvee smoke screen? Ive never heard of anything like that or anything that can create false radar signals anyways...
                              They used what appears to be shredded downy feathers in a blower directly above the smoke emitter - they use engine turbines to make the smoke, and when it gets into the smoke, it'll stay in the smoke. So a blanket of this can easily scramble radar signals.
                              Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X