Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Guru

Ok, who is the Helicopter guru for TG?
    Is there a mission already made for learning how to fly helicopters?
    I have a Saitek x45 controls, does anyone else use it and how do you set the controls? Or does everyone use the mouse and keyboard?

JohnO
    Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Re: Helicopter Guru

Theirs the SP training mission but I think thats it besides the cobra mission which doesnt really teach you anything,

I personally just use the keyboard for flying, no mouse at all unless looking around the cockpit which sometimes I still just use the keypad for.. (Im only one Ive ever heard of about only using keyboard so I guess I wouldnt reccomend it although I myself do fine and sometimes better than others)
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Thanks, seems trying to use my joysticks don't seem to work. So I've been flying just using the keyboard and its not bad. Too bad I can't get the joystick to work, oh well.

There is one thing that I'm trying to learn is to pick up speed. I pitch my nose down to try to get some speed but it don't seem to be doing much.

I also fly with the auto-hover on, does others do that?

Come on theres got to be a helicopter ace out there for a newbie to ask allot of questions?

JohnO

Comment

Auto-hover is great for hovering, but it does everything in its power to prevent you from moving. To pick up speed, you'll probably have to tilt forward more than you'd expect. Also, don't forget to throttle up when you're trying to speed up.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

So do you turn off the auto-hover once your in flight? You said to throttle-up How is it done? The only way I can tell is if you tilt the nose down to pick up speed.

I made a mission for just flying helicopters. I'm getting good on popping up to fire and drop down and move to either left or right then pop up again to engage enemy tanks, pretty cool so far.

Comment

I think your thinking of auto hover as being a use as if it was implemented into BF2 or something.. Auto Hover in ArmA is simply that you will hover gaining no speed no altitude, just sitting there, waiting for a RPG to hit you. Its mainly used just for vertical landings and to help yourself straighten out your helicopter if need be.

When you fly unless your in very friendly skys and dont care how long you take I suppose you could use auto hover.. Otherwise I would never fly with it on at all, With it off he means nose down to pick up speed then giving yourself and heli enough time to be able to pick it back up (so you dont smash into the ground) keeping in mind that you are gonna drop a few extra meters because of the heli weight while straightening the bird out again to gain that momentum..

(My bad if that didnt make sense, been zoning out for some reason lately)
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

If you're using the keyboard, hold Q to throttle up. Press W (or E if you're feeling brave) to tilt quite a bit.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Ehh I use W for throttle, S for descreasing?, A for rotor left, D for rotor right, Z and V for tilting sides, E for tilting forwards (default i think), then froget what Q does, also just use the arrow keys for tilting and thats basiclly it, keypad for views

Comment

if you're on at any point and see me just give me a shout and we can hop into a different channel. while i'm not amazing as some of the guys here, i can get you through the basics and a few drills you can work on offline.
                  as for the X45, i have one myself, but it didn't seem to work for me either. try using your saitek control setup or whatever it's called. other than that, pick up a new joystick. i love the 45 throttle, hate the loose control in the stick. i use the throttle with a microsoft FFB2...amazing

Comment

Ok, I think I understand what is going on with me. I'm leaving the auto-hover on instead of turning it off.

The keys are no problem :) So what I have to do is then and correct me if I'm wrong, use auto-hover to get off the ground then turn it off and fly the helicopter, is that correct? I can test this theory out here at work, we have VBS2 to play with.

Comment

I have an X45 and it works flawlessly. So well in fact that flying 5m off the deck between trees is relatively easy. I don't use a profile, I just set the buttons on the stick through the game options...

Make sure you set the controllers (throttle and rudder)

I then set the following

Throttle D = menu down
                      Throttle mouse button = action menu option
                      Stick B = weapon select
                      Stick A = Target vehicle
                      Stick Fire C = Look closer
                      Stick pinky = move menu option up
                      Stick Fire = Eject
                      Stick Trigger = Fire

Once you have your stick set up the way you want it, take it for a test flight. Set your speed to what you want (say 120kmh) and then leave it near the horizon to keep that speed.

Now use just the throttle to control your height and you see how well you can keep it low.

For landing bottom the collective and pull back on the stick - trying not to gain or loose any height. Once under 50kmh you can land though you'll slide a little forward.

Paraiso Airfield is a good place to practice. :)
                      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnO View Post
                        Ok, I think I understand what is going on with me. I'm leaving the auto-hover on instead of turning it off.

The keys are no problem :) So what I have to do is then and correct me if I'm wrong, use auto-hover to get off the ground then turn it off and fly the helicopter, is that correct? I can test this theory out here at work, we have VBS2 to play with.
                        If you try flying with AH on, you'll just be battling the aircraft because it wants to stop you. Leave it off unless you do want to hover.
                        Jex.

Comment

Thanks jex and everyone else. Will setup my X45 tonight after work. Will let you know tonight how it went. Keep this up there will be one more pilot for TG.

Comment

Hey JohnO, this should prove to be a great help. Koala is one of the best pilots I have ever seen, and this is a TGU module he wrote up!! Very helpful!

ArmA Rotary Wing Module
                            Dizlor

Comment

Thanks Gogeta I just finished printing it out. Will read later. So I take it there is a flight school so to speak where a new pilot can learn and take a flight test to get his wings or ribbon in TG? Do I have to get in touch with the flight instructor?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...