Question on squad(s) movements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on squad(s) movements

I am still relatively new, and still green, but my experience so far playing ArmA is that i understand there specialized tactics involved, but sometimes the lack of VON makes it very annoying and slows everything down.

For example last night on a SF. Navy Seals COOP mission I feel there could have been more VON chatter, especially when someone needed a medic..there were several times that a player would say "i need a medic, i'm bleeding", thats great and all, and it was my first time playing a medic, but its dark out, i have night vision on, and if u say you need a medic, give a point of reference so i just don't start running all over the place, and once a medic starts going to the area, either say ill try and meet you in the middle, or stay at your location, nothing is more frustrating when you go to where the player says they are, and they leave, only to die and say "i'm dead now."

Also with covering fire.... give it...pop off three shot bursts if u can....it helps..

I don't know and i apologize for rambling, i just found it frustrating I enjoy playing on the COOP server a lot, but i find that sometimes with players who don't have mic's it slows down the game play.....

Also with squads moving up, maybe i just need to get used to it more, but i would like to see the gameplay move a bit faster (maybe its bc before getting arma i played PR all the time).

Anyways though great work last night grunt70 you did a good job calling out targets and directing fire when there were players who would give covering fire rather than being a sniper....also vanity it was fun covering that one boulder.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Question on squad(s) movements

You're right, communication is absolutely key to effective combat and miscommunication is an enormous problem when it's encountered. Unfortunately, we don't have a rule on the server requiring microphones. Maybe we should require it for Server 2.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

People should mark their positions on the map after determining there is a medic out there to help them.

It's useless radio chatter trying to relay a position. Just mark it on the map and the medic will find you. Very quick and easy solution, I wish more people would do it

Comment

Also if you are a medic you need to look for markers on the map and pay attention for when someone calls for a medic. One time I had been hit in the legs and I called for a medic and marked my position on the map and to make sure the medic knew where I was I even said what grid I was in. I had been shot in the legs and couldn't stand to move so I waited. I saw the medic run by me 5 times as it was a mission with respawn I ended up laying there for quite awhile while the rest of the group finished the objectives and the mission.
        "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Originally posted by JRCOBRA View Post
          Also if you are a medic you need to look for markers on the map and pay attention for when someone calls for a medic. One time I had been hit in the legs and I called for a medic and marked my position on the map and to make sure the medic knew where I was I even said what grid I was in. I had been shot in the legs and couldn't stand to move so I waited. I saw the medic run by me 5 times as it was a mission with respawn I ended up laying there for quite awhile while the rest of the group finished the objectives and the mission.
          I think i did eventually find you, and i was looking on the map.....but i didn't hear you say on VON that i ran by you....thats the part of of communication that is important......in regards to a medic....the map only does so much.

All in all i am getting used to using the compass more and the map, so maybe the next time ill be better at multi-tasking, ha.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

i was calling ur name all day at the server randy :(

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid.Watcher View Post
              i was calling ur name all day at the server randy :(
              ha, liquid ill try and help you out tomorrow night if u have any questions though im still very green, ill be playing pr tonight, bc if i start playing arma its a known fact ill be on till 1am........but tomorrow is friday..and we can both be medics with our heads cut off running passed injured players, 5, 6, maybe even ten times in the dark or day.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Players without mics are cumbersome and detract from the experience. I have a much better time when I can speak to people. My first MP FPS was Delta Force and I remember the frustration of trying to type to someone to "watch out" knowing my word of warning would be lost in a thousand death messages. "If only we could talk to each other" I thought. Well 13 years later and I'm amazed at people who still cannot go out and buy a mic for $5.

As for movement and cover fire, i suggest you read dyslexci's Arma Guide over at shacktactical.com. That has practically everything you'll need to get yourself going with arma and makes for some good reading.

As for speed of movement, well Arma is a slower game than BF2 and a lot of missions don't have respawn. With only one life, as a SL/FTL your responsibility is to try and get your squad through the mission with as little casualties as possible. Things could speed up a bit if people had mics and could organise themselves a little better from the start. As for moving squads - most players on the server cannot hold a simple wedge formation (some can't even follow simple orders) and that's the unfortunate consequence of a public server. All the above slow down the game play and if that could be eliminated, we'd see a much smoother method of play.
                Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                  I think i did eventually find you, and i was looking on the map.....but i didn't hear you say on VON that i ran by you....thats the part of of communication that is important......in regards to a medic....the map only does so much.

All in all i am getting used to using the compass more and the map, so maybe the next time ill be better at multi-tasking, ha.
                  Actually wasn't talking about you just an experiance I had awhile back unless that was you. This was before VON was working properly as well I think
                  "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

I find that the times i have played arma again at TG it has been on vet mod, and you couldnt see any body on your map or see any name tags, its essential that you can see who's next to you and where they are.

Since we are now running a public server, i think that leaving vet mode turned off will ease things up a little, and people will be more organized.

We did a TvT a few weeks back with, fuzzhead who was doing a great job commanding commanding and trying to keep things organized, how ever pubbies were getting lost, mixed up in the wrong squads, had no idea what was actualy happening or what apc to get into or if their squad was the one on the left or right and all kinds of hell were breaking loose. Even though seeing each other on a map is not really realistic, It makes up for the situation awareness that you have in real life and not in game :), goes for name tags too, since you cant really see faces in the game very well either.

Also VON is crucial for communication, AND teamspeak, i dont understand why people dont use it any more, its good to talk between squad leaders, so SL/FT leaders, dont inturupt squad coms in game. I find it too often that, im talking to my squad on direct and then i hear some one say ENEMY ENEMY, and im looking around, and then i find out its some one shouting that out 1 mile away on side chat, we need a new SOP for arma and some kinda messege ingame to tell people to check it out.

Hopefuly something along the lines, of ' stay of side and global chat' ise direct and team coms, Use TS to forward orders between Squad leaders :)
                    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Vet mode should only be used by players that are comfortable using it. I simply wouldn't want to even imagine how you'd organise a 30 player coop game without name tags on

There is an SOP for comms use. only command elements should be in global or side. Grunts are group or direct.
                      Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X