Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your computer is running slow after/during the use of ArmA, Defrag your computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your computer is running slow after/during the use of ArmA, Defrag your computer

I noticed after playing ArmA on wed on the TG server that my computer started to run very slow the next day, even loading up ArmA took forever, and I had to disconnect after it took more than 10minutes to receive the map info etc.

I was frustrated, and confused at the same time until I analyzed my computer using the Defragmentation option in the control panel.

I was amazed at what came up
    over 700 mbs of defragmented files in the common files folder in my arma folder in the my documents folder, in ArmA.

So i Defragged my computer and in under an hour it was back to normal.
    Example when running ArmA in under a month my cpu usage was up to over 50%, after defragging, it was at 2%.

It is quite amazing with the addon's/config files that load/do not load/when other people connect with add-ons/mods what happens to your computer....

I suggest this to all who might see that their computer is not running as fast, and or might encountered slow FPS and other slow movements.

I almost deleted ArmA in its entirety, though I am glad I didn't but I will now have to defrag on a bi weekly basis.....
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: If your computer is running slow after/during the use of ArmA, Defrag your comput

thanks!

Comment

Re: If your computer is running slow after/during the use of ArmA, Defrag your comput

I also found out that I think i have a trojan virus or something because the defragging helped but the svchost.exe is making my comp run at 50% or more each time i go into ArmA (hence why you guys haven't seen me online recently) and also when i go onto the internet let alone trying to open up control panel etc.....but the defragging does help...and once my comp is fixed or if i throw it out the window, you will see me back in game.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I think theirs some website that you can check if those types of properties or w\e a svhost would be is real or a fake named virus.. Used it a long time ago so not sure if its gone or not.

Also when was the last time you defragged your comp from before? Think I got mine a month ago, just wondering when you should defrag it though (once a year, twice a year, etc.)
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

defrag almost anytime a big file is installed or uninstalled. I did find that most of the red zones were from Arma last time I defragged and it does help smooth things up.

Comment

Wait so whats defragging do then to the computer? You dont have to reinstall anything like mods or maps right?
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Under Windows a hard disk is nothing more than a collection of information buckets called "clusters". Each cluster is a fixed size, typically 512 bytes or characters. When you create a file on disk, Windows assigns enough clusters to the file to hold it. So if your file is one byte long, it gets one 512 byte cluster. If your file is 600 bytes, it gets two - one 512 bytes full, and one with 88 bytes of data, and 424 bytes unused.

Clusters aren't required to be next to each other on the disk. In fact, that's part of what the "Random" in "Random Access Storage" means; data can be accessed and stored on the disk in random places. So when Windows creates a file, it keeps track of which clusters make up the file, wherever on the disk they might be, and in which order they should go. Kind of like numbering the pages in a book.

Now, imagine if you had the pages of a book randomly distributed around your house. You know where they are and in what order to read them, but you have to run all over the house as you get each successive page.

That's a fragmented file. The clusters that make up the file are scattered throughout the disk. The result is that when you access the file, Windows has to race all over the hard disk to retrieve the whole thing. That takes time.

If instead the pages of your book were all next to each other, in order, then they'd be much easier to read. No need to run all over. That's a defragmented file: all the clusters allocated to the file are in order and physically next to each other on the hard disk.

Files become fragmented because of the way clusters are re-used and allocated on a hard disk. If you delete a file that takes up two clusters, and then write a file that takes four then the new file might be split - two clusters where the old file was, and two clusters somewhere else entirely. Multiply that scenario by thousands of file operations and deletions on your disk every day, with much larger files, and you can see that fragmentation can add up very quickly. The result is your machine gradually slowing down.

And to answer your question Fen, no you will not loose any of your data. Mods or otherwise.
              sigpic
              | |
              TG ArmA Pathfinder
              One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

Ah thank you, clears it up a lot actually,

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X