Pubbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pubbies

We really need to start getting these guys onto the forums here. ArmA has taken HUGE leaps as all of you may have noticed. As far as recruiting goes though, we haven't done much, and therefore the ArmA community hasn't grown a whole lot. It'd be nice to see some fresh faces in here. Also, on another note, we need to start teaching these guys the TG way of play. I've only been in the server a few times lately, and there hasn't been a whole lot of organization. Just yesterday ednos and I were running around aimlessly because nobody would comply to our requests of, "What in the hell are we supposed to be doing?" Just a rambling thought.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Re: Pubbies

Well, "aimlessly" meant "completing the objective by our damn selves because no one would step up to command or listen to instructions".
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I think both servers should be titled with the "Get PW on website" and passworded. It's a pretty simple task that would shake off some of the lone wolves looking for population.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
        I think both servers should be titled with the "Get PW on website" and passworded. It's a pretty simple task that would shake off some of the lone wolves looking for population.
        I know I'm quite new here but I agree. Last night early evening GMT was just so NOT the TG way.

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

i agree with the PW.

lately i have had very little gaing time (so little that i dont even have 1.14 installed yet), and it sux to have what little time i get, ruined by people who cant be bothered to comunicate (with or with out a mic...but come on, they are so cheap that there is no excuse to NOT have one), listen to orders, try and get organized, or use some team work.

Comment

Frustrating isn't it? lol

I think what we need to bear in mind is that we are taking on board new members - Sabre is an example of that. The thing is that we are not going to see masses of people join up because we don't play the way that the vast majority of gamers do. We are in a minority and so will, unfortunately, have to suffer the consequence of that.

As for coordinating on the pubby server I feel your pain. However, as I've said before if you can't get enough FTL's on the same page as the SL then you're going to find it difficult to play.

It seems to me that we have 2 choices - either we allow that behaviour to continue or we start doing something about it and I see no reason why we aren't kicking non-cooperating players. If players want to goof around there are all the other arma servers to go play on. I would hazard a guess that ALL the other servers that require teamwork at all times are passworded. That makes us the only server in the list that requires tactical, team-orientated gameplay and yet we have pubbies running amok.

So I say kick em. If they can't play by the rules, you won't be hurting their feelings because they don't play the TG way anyway. On top of that, you'll be doing players that do want to play the TG way a favour.

Oh and if you can't kick em - shoot em ;)
            Jex.

Comment

So server 2 password is working? Having the server password in open like that will not make them sign up.

Usually in BF2 we put it in a text file and only TG members who sign up for forums can download and read read them. As for now anybody can come to the website and read the password and join the server. Also sometimes the password used to be hidden in a SOP. You had to read at least half or more of the SOP to find the password in the text.

Yesterday on warfare after we get a little population going a flood of unfamiliar names popped up. Some started to curse on the microphone. If the password is in the open I am not sure if we are successfully attracting the right kind of players into the server.

Comment

we could do like the PR password nites, and make people watch a video to get the pass...

Comment

I think a vid like this might work out well: Tactical Etiquette 101
                  | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                    I think a vid like this might work out well: Tactical Etiquette 101
                    Aaaahhh!! You dog, Dog. LOL

Actually a TG Arma video that new guys have to watch wouldn't be a bad idea. Anyone remember the days when you actually had to send in an application email to join TG?
                    Jex.

Comment

Even though I'm not an ArmA player and don't even understand the game properly, I'd say PW is not the way to go for the main server.

Remember, most people, even if they are perhaps looking for a disciplined, teamwork and objective orientated experience, will still probably be joining random servers. Even if they are looking for that experience, what makes you think they'll be bothered to leave their game, go to TG, and find the password, just so they can join, what they think is, just another random server.

If they haven't played here and seen what we have to offer, why wouldn't they think of this server as just another one? just maybe an exclusive one, and that exclusivity doesn't promote a "hey, come over here and join us if you want to play the game like this" message.

What I would say is to have PW nights in the week, or organise more scrims or other events, so that everyone on TG ArmA could have a fully TG experience for those great nights more often, but I'm not sure how you can attract new guys if the server's passworded. Most people will join the server, see teamplay they like, hopefully then a TG guy will talk to him (Edit: or her) about joining TG and the site (not an essay, just telling frankly we enjoy and strive for mature and immersive teamplay, and they should see the site if they want to join up) and then they join the forums and then find out what TG is all about; most people aren't just going to go out of their way to see what you offer if they don't know what you're about and you don't give them a taster and show them what we're about first.

But what I will say is that jex is right about needing to crackdown on clowns. One of the many reasons BF2142 runs without too many rulebreakers is the admins are extremely tough on guys. Having a banhammer like Eroak around does help to keep guys straight. I even heard of a time where most of a team was baseraping, and Eroak froze the game and sent up messages threatening to ban the entire server if they didn't stop.

The power that admins have to kick and ban is one of their greatest, and they should use it whenever they feel the need to without hesitation. If someone is kicked or banned for a reason they shouldn't have or maybe they didn't know they were breaking the rules, they will come back and ask to have their bans lifted if they truly enjoyed the experience. However, as much power as the admins have to ban, the other TG guys on the ground need to be their eyes, as the admins can't see everything and can't be everywhere 24/7. The guys playing are the spotters, but the admins are the snipers that will take the kill, which is why a reporting system should also be made (see 2142 general discussion "REPORTING INFRACTIONS" sticky for ideas).

Just the 2 cents from a BF2142 player, migrating over and browsing around.
                      Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM. Reason: Political correctness.
                      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
                        Even though I'm not an ArmA player and don't even understand the game properly,
                        In this game, one player making one ill informed or blatantly stupid move can ruin hours of effort in certain missions. It is one of the worst pub games. While it is not impossible to have a good game on an open server, it is amazing the increase in quality with a PW. You would have to play the game in order to appreciate what makes it different than most multiplayer games.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Agreed, I dont think putting a password on the server is a good solution, it will only further decrease the player population and interest in this game (which is already at a very low number due to the slew of other problems in arma)

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                            Agreed, I dont think putting a password on the server is a good solution, it will only further decrease the player population and interest in this game (which is already at a very low number due to the slew of other problems in arma)
                            Unfortunately Fuzz, I disagree. You don't buy ArmA for a quick 5 minute blast. The majority of ArmA players have migrated from OFP, and therefore know what is involved in planning/executing a mission. They are also well aware of the problems and limitations of the game and work around or accept them. Hell, all those early-adapters who started playing the game here on the TG Servers from v1.0 have overcome, and adapted to the indiosyncrasies of the game. A passworded server keeps the casual troublemaker (read assest stealer, team killer) out. It doesn't however, keep a determined trouble maker out. It only takes a couple of minutes to browse to the TG ArmA forum, and find the password. You can't stop them from joining the server and causing mayhem for a few minutes, but it should stop the Mongs and Smacktards from joining in.
                            sigpic
                            | |
                            TG ArmA Pathfinder
                            One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

By passwording the server, you're basically saying "sorry, it's us only", and I think that's the opposite of recruiting.

Idiots need to be dealt with by admins with the power to kick and ban, while still keeping the server pub friendly so that those pubs who have the right mindset, but have not been lucky enough to find TG thus far, can still join and become part of this community, while the smacktards are kicked and banned. How can you recruit with a PWed server?

Unless of course, TG become legends in the ArmA universe and recruit through guys applying or us actively recruiting, except we're not an elitest bunch (a community not a clan), so this won't happen.

Like I said Khan, having loads of TG only nights would solve the problem of having every night ruined by stupid pubs. Also, ArmA is not a game that is brimming with smacktards and ADH prone teens like games like C0D and BF, it's just not a game that attracts those kinds of players. This is where the kick and ban comes in. I would think it's more a few guys per night as opposed to entire teams, right? Which gives you guys a huge advantage, there's much less to police, and it's easier spotting a smacktard in a game like this when you guys are moving slowly and trying to remain situationally aware, and some guy on your team is running around like a headless crackhead.

Bring the boot down on that sucker and tell him he can shove his jerking hand towards his copy of C0D.

P.S. A few extra admins would perhaps help...just a thought.
                              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X