Server 1 (Vanilla)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 1 (Vanilla)

For the next week we are going to run server 1 (2302) as a "vanilla" server. There have been too many complaints community wide of performance issues that are hampering smooth game play. Believe it or not, it is the MODs that all of you are running as clients. Some people insist that they need to run 10+ MODs and wonder why the game is taking a hit. You might be surprised to finally take off some of these MODs and see how well the game has improved and you simply may not need them. Some of the MODs were written to overcome shortfalls in pre 1.14 release. Things like vegetation and sounds have been improved to acceptable levels. But you all knew that from reading all the detailed fixes and change logs.

You WILL NOT be able to connect to server one if you are running any MODs. The server will not even show up as a available server in your browser window if you are running anything. That being said, you will notice a drastic improvement in your connection times as well as others not affecting the server when they join.

The best way to setup a ICON for running this is simply copy and paste you current start ICON on your desktop. Then right click on properties and remove any MODs that are in the line. If you are unclear it should look something as simple as this "C:\ArmA\arma.exe -nosplash".

Server 2 (passworded) will run a trial like this for a day or so as well.

Make sure you all report back and talk about how it is running in Vanilla mode.
    Last edited by TheBigC; 05-26-2008, 02:52 PM.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Server 1 (Vanilla)

I think we could allow a few simple ones, like sound mods. I find those improve the gameplay significantly without much added. A lot of visual stuff has been greatly improved, though; I'm running almost vanilla myself these days. (I depend on my sound mod to recognize weapons, because I've forgotten what the vanilla ones sound like. This will take some getting used to.)
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

We have tested a bunch of them already. FDF Sounds was one of the least obtrusive of MODs. Some of the more crushing ones were like ArmAeffect, tracers and other visual things.

Post up what you want tested and we can look at it and see how a server runs with specific MOD..
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
        Post up what you want tested and we can look at it and see how a server runs with specific MOD..
        I run truemods, armaeffects and BPA real sound.... If I had to pick only one, TrueMods no doubt. I just really like the hud and the free look on truemods... and the cool loading pics ;)
        Dizlor

Comment

FDF Sounds (1.3), TrueMods, ArmAEffects and SIX_Pack1 running here.

TrueMods, ArmAEffects and Six_Pack1 (for the tracers) - I always thought they were TG recommended Mods that most (TG) players used when playing on the server. Out of all of them, I think the Tracers should have been part of the game since v1.0!
          sigpic
          | |
          TG ArmA Pathfinder
          One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

I believe there are tracers in the vanilla version now.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
              I believe there are tracers in the vanilla version now.
              Thanks for pointing that out aculle01 - Cheers.
              sigpic
              | |
              TG ArmA Pathfinder
              One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

Good choice. Server stability is more important than running custom mods.

Comment

I saw no significant performance improvement. The only improvement was new players joining, the effect was not as severe as before, but other servers do not seem to have that issue.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                    I saw no significant performance improvement. The only improvement was new players joining, the effect was not as severe as before, but other servers do not seem to have that issue.
                    I agree with tHa_KhAn, i didnt see any improvement in gameplay. I dont know if im wrong, but can a client side mod afect the server?

What i can see is a increase in dysinc as more people try to join, and there are more units in the game, most at warfare.
                    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Well, I say it's worth a shot to see if there in any improvement in how smooth the gameplay is.
                      "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

You will not see a FPS improvement, that is not the issue. This is a "lag" issue. People connecting with lots of MODs brings the server to a halt, causing 31 other players to pause...

I agree the sounds are good, but not what they can be. We will probably enable certain sound mods as we scale up server 2 to see a "point" where issues are caused.

Comment

can someone post a list of the original files in their ArmA/Addons folder. I have removed the weapons pack I had, but still can't see the server in the browser window. Any help?

Comment

Which mod lets you turn your head left and right when you are turned up in a tank? I think that one is a must have.

Comment

Server 2 is back to normal and this weekend I will switch back server 1 as well. There is a drastic improvement in performance when the server has no MODs, most should have seen that by now. I think we need to investigate really what MODs will go on the server a bit more over the next couple weeks , so bear with us. I will post any restrictions that we may be trying out at any given time. Server 2 will remain as is until we figure this out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X