Domination Coop Sunday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domination Coop Sunday?

Since the 1.14 release, I have been somewhat disappointed with the Warfare option, It makes me feel that Atari & Bohemia Interactive Studio (thank you Khan on clarifying) are trying to become more like Electronic Arts, and feels that they have designed an inadequate video game, due to the popularity of the Battlefield genre of games.

The warfare option of gameplay has me scratching my head more than actually playing, due also in large part to the massive amount of AI player's that spawn when players choose to use them (i'm not a fan of AI) or the lag that occurs when players join/the amount of time it takes to join a game. I think it might have been rushed and not all that thought out, though thats just my opinion, and should only be taken with a grain of salt.

But I would like to suggest maybe next sunday on the ArmA coop even that Domination One Team be played. This is an excellent form of Teamwork and coordination. Whether it be securing towns, or also completing side missions as a team. We can get everyone together and act as a real platoon/company, while utilizing skilled pilots to help move the respawns/extracting/bringing soldiers to the battle.

Another cool thing is every playing can sling his primary weapon to their back and get a secondary weapon which can be used in the game. So if you choose the M249 SAW (which I usually do) you can also use a M136 with 6 rockets, a javellin, cqb gun etc...and do not have to worry about the amount of ammo that is limited.

Just thought I would suggest something, I was unable to make the coop event yesterday, I hope it went well.

See you all on the ArmA Battlefield.
    Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM. Reason: Tha_Khan clarified
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Domination Coop Sunday?

I would be up for domination but can only play in the evenings (as in, after 8PM eastern).

I think there is more hope for Warfare - it's got its drawbacks, but it's the closest I've seen to a functioning 32-player TvT use of ArmA to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
      It makes me feel that Atari is trying to become more like Electronic Arts, and feels that they have designed an inadequate video game, due to the popularity of the Battlefield genre of games.
      Atari is just the US publisher. Bohemia Interactive Studio is the software maker. ArmA is also more of a simulation framework than a military themed FPS.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

These are just my impressions, but Randy has a point about Warfare. Having no option of joining a human player's squad, no way of interacting effectively (different Comm channels) with other human players, is - to say the least - odd. It's as if this mode is geared towards individual players, and not very team oriented.

When I mentioned this to Khan, he suggested a way to play: Each player recruits a squad of AI and is assigned a town to capture or defend. This was fun for a while; building defenses and placing AI, but in the end there was very little communication going on (or needed) between towns, leaving the server pretty quiet.

If someone managed to find a way of joining squads, it could be interesting, but the mode as a whole would still not be very team-oriented. I remember reading that this mode is completely customizable, and if the talented folks here at TG can change some code around, give us better control of funds, control of AI and how they are recruited, and other fixes - we may just have something persistent that is enjoyable, balanced and geared for playing with other HUMANS. Till then, I find the whole RTS command aspect and sixty infantry running around quite distracting, and frankly, this mode seemed to me like Evolution with missing features.

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik View Post
          These are just my impressions, but Randy has a point about Warfare. Having no option of joining a human player's squad, no way of interacting effectively (different Comm channels) with other human players, is - to say the least - odd. It's as if this mode is geared towards individual players, and not very team oriented.
          I call shenanigans. It's not as smooth a comms system as some other games have, but it id still quite easy to coordinate if you have a team that is able to make intelligent use of the communication systems available. The major fail point seems to be that most people don't identify themselves, their location, and their target when they communicate. 'Oh crap, there is a BMP-2 over there!' is spectacularly unhelpful. 'BMP-2 spotted at Gc-65, due west of the barn' is a bit more useful.

Comment

I honestly don't like Warfare mode at all which is why I haven't been playing much. RTS in OFP or ArmA never seemed to fit in and always felt awkward. Every time I join a game it seems like the same situation over and over where one city is enemy and for some reason the side I'm on has the HQ set up right next to enemy town. A few players go take another town then clear it then after a little while it starts getting attacked by one guy lone wolfing mainly just capturing a camp and hiding in a spot so he can get kills. Or the server is set to 16 players and usually full.

I'd rather do some kinda Coop again but the majority of the servers are doing warfare.
            "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

I remember Domination as being pretty fun so if it was played on Sunday COOP events I'd be there if some others showed up.

Comment

Haven't played domination.. So, I'm in if it happens.

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                Another cool thing is every playing can sling his primary weapon to their back and get a secondary weapon which can be used in the game. So if you choose the M249 SAW (which I usually do) you can also use a M136 with 6 rockets, a javellin, cqb gun etc...and do not have to worry about the amount of ammo that is limited.
                Reminds me of the M60 + LAW in BF Vietnam.. Doesn't this prevent teamwork if everyone has a squad load of ammo strapped on their back?

I think warfare has good potential for TvT. Due to its popularity I bet it will be the main game mode in ARMA2 (Not sure if this is a good thing). The thing that wrinkles my pants about Warfare is people who solo without AI, and go directly for the HQ.

I think it would be an epic game mode if everyone hired squads and tried to play it tactically rather than "Conquest" style. The AI is soo frustrating I see why most people don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                  Haven't played domination.. So, I'm in if it happens.

Reminds me of the M60 + LAW in BF Vietnam.. Doesn't this prevent teamwork if everyone has a squad load of ammo strapped on their back?

I think warfare has good potential for TvT. Due to its popularity I bet it will be the main game mode in ARMA2 (Not sure if this is a good thing). The thing that wrinkles my pants about Warfare is people who solo without AI, and go directly for the HQ.

I think it would be an epic game mode if everyone hired squads and tried to play it tactically rather than "Conquest" style. The AI is soo frustrating I see why most people don't bother.
                  Exactly thats why I have been avoiding it is too many people solo and there is a real lack of communication.
                  "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Here is what we have done with Warfare several times on the server and it worked perfectly:

Pick a side and fill it only with Human players
                    Let the opposing side fill all their team up with AI
                    Each human gets to have a full 12-13 man squad, depending on what they buy (for some reason the number fluctuates depending if they are in a vehicle or not)
                    Designate a base commander and a field commander. This dramatically improves comms and support all around
                    Lock the server from late joining players

Once all the conditions are met, we run the game and go from there. You would be surprised how hard it is to compete against the AI, it is hard. The RACS are a joke, but the opposing AI will kick your butt if you are not tactically sound. Even with several solid players and excellent tactics, it still will take 2-3 hours of non-stop, hardcore game play.

Now as for the Sunday events, I am more than willing to set this up and run it as in the past. But I will not waste anyone's time again when only 2 people sign up. Plus all the late comers only disrupt the server and cause confusion when they are late. There is a reason why there was no event this past week!!!
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I have found using the AI a bit easier each time I play. It is certainly something that takes getting used to and the vehicle AI is not always the smartest but the more you use it, the more comfortable you get issuing commands the more you get out of the AI.

As for comms, I have had no problem coordinating assaults using the chat text. Also, while somewhat archaic, you and whoever you are working with can also meet face to face and use the local channel before heading out and set a plan that way.

Yes, there are some limitations and problems with Warfare but I would recommend trying to work some of the issues out before signing off on something. If a player is not playing correctly, suggest that they fix themselves. If that does not work get an admin. We do have rules on our server and people who play here are expected to follow them whether they are forum members or not.

I think warfare would benefit greatly with an organized event. Get the teams set and give them a few days to a week to draw up some battle plans and go from there. Even if it was just an 8 on 8 (that might actually be better), a structured campaign would give us a chance to see if warfare can really work as a team oriented game mode.

Comment

I miss the small coop events where all I had to do is worry about myself and a couple of teammates.

managing an army of AI isn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
                          I miss the small coop events where all I had to do is worry about myself and a couple of teammates.

managing an army of AI isn't for me.
                          Bingo. Any chance of getting together this Sunday and running some coop?

Comment

I won't be available this weekend... maybe next week

Comment

Dislike warfare aswell...it lacks depth. I mean yeah the whole strategy plan sounds good on paper but I think its poorly executed. Most of the time people just scatter north, south, east, west and in the end there is no teamplay at all. Plus, If i want to play project reality, ill just pop in my BF2 CD.

Domination is great, its a good alternative to EVO (getting tired of EVO xD). Plus I think (you guys might or might not agree) that ArmA multiplayer is based around coop. How you move on this town and how you plan to take it. How you approach that objective and how you plan to take it out. I've seen nothing of this in warfare...nothing but a large scale battlefiel 2.

So in a few words...

...Im up for some domination.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                              The BigC

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X