Wait a minute...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait a minute...

OK, well I've looked for a few FAQs and guides to ArmA, not a lot, but a little bit, mainly because I'm going through an exam period right now, so I didn't want to spend too much time reading and searching.

Anywhooo, is ArmA mainly a game where it's us guys co-operating against computer controlled characters to get an objective (other than the new warfare mode)? I actually didn't know that if that is the case, I got a feeling that this was the case when the Warfare mode came out, and some of the posts seemed to be indirectly suggesting that Warfare was player Vs. Player, which is not usual for ArmA. Dunno why I've waited till now to ask, stuff (exams+forgetfulness) just kept getting in the way. Anyway, is that the case? Anyone mind giving a short run-down of how ArmA actually works? Because the only thing I realised about it was that it's more tactical, precise, slow-paced and realistic than other FPS'es, but the actual content of the gameplay, I had pretty much no clue about.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: Wait a minute...

Arma caters for all game types. Warfare can be played either coop or TvT. Things like Evo and Domination are Coop and then there are individual missions that are coop - plus the usual DM - TDM - KOTH, etc

Most of our games are coop against the AI though there are some TvT games that crop up occasionally.
    Jex.

Comment

Ah, I see.

Comment

In my experience on TG, 90% of the time your playing it will be coop (humans versus AI)

Comment

Any reason why this is preferred? Guessing this is related to how TG plays ArmA. Is it hard to play with that depth and realism with Team Vs. Team?

Comment

It's a break from the BF series I guess ;)
            Jex.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can do TvT with AI on the teams as well right?

Comment

TvT in Arma doesn't work that well b/c of the realism and stand-off ranges. Since one bad move can have you sitting out a round, people are pretty cautious regarding engagement. That means if you're defending an objective, you're doing a LOT of sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for bad guys to show up.

Once the firefight finally starts, it's pretty awesome. But it could be 15-20 minutes before the teams make contact. As an assualt team, your whole objective is to get in and neutralize the enemy as fast as possible. The shorter the fight the better. So that involves planning, strategic movement, observation, and finally engagement.

In the meantime, everyone else is bored outta their minds looking for you to show up. It works much better with some AI thrown in there.

Comment

So when you guys do Co-op against AI, do you guys just like have a mission objective like just getting to a certain area? Or eliminating all AI soldiers? How does it work?

Comment

Depends what the mission is. It can be as simple as eliminating AI or more needed like destroying a building rescue missions or killing a single target.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

As Arma has it's on scripting/programming language built in as the mission editor on top of a GUI, you can almost make any mission you want. Wanna go steal magic yoghurt from the fairies? I'm sure somebody out there can do it...
                      Jex.

Comment

Sweet. I'm looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by vanity11 View Post
                          TvT in Arma doesn't work that well b/c of the realism and stand-off ranges. Since one bad move can have you sitting out a round, people are pretty cautious regarding engagement. That means if you're defending an objective, you're doing a LOT of sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for bad guys to show up.

Once the firefight finally starts, it's pretty awesome. But it could be 15-20 minutes before the teams make contact. As an assualt team, your whole objective is to get in and neutralize the enemy as fast as possible. The shorter the fight the better. So that involves planning, strategic movement, observation, and finally engagement.

In the meantime, everyone else is bored outta their minds looking for you to show up. It works much better with some AI thrown in there.
                          It's all in who you play with and what missions you're using. I find TvT to be just as compelling (if not moreso) than coop, and playing against humans offers a type of challenge that the AI cannot replicate. In addition to that, the variety of mission types, objectives, etc, are pretty much limitless, and "go kill the other guy" is only the most basic of those. The devil's in the details.

Comment

I suppose you could do "go sneak in and blow up the other guys stuff before he does the same to you" could work just as well...

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                              I suppose you could do "go sneak in and blow up the other guys stuff before he does the same to you" could work just as well...
                              Yh that would give a lot of possibilities. Splitting up into defence and offence. You would have to keep a good lookout wherever you were on the map all the time, as opposed to (as vanity described it) just waltzing up to a fortified position and then the shooting stuff starts.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X