This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sniper Operations Article

The sniper has special abilities, training and equipment. His job is to deliver discriminatory highly accurate rifle fire against enemy targets, which cannot be engaged successfully by a basic rifleman because of range, size, location, fleeting nature, or visibility. Sniping requires the development of basic infantry skills to a high degree of perfection.

A sniper's training incorporates a wide variety of subjects designed to increase his value as a force multiplier and to ensure his survival on the battlefield. The art of sniping requires learning and repetitiously practicing these skills until mastered. A sniper must have advanced knowledge and know the pros and cons of sniping in ArmA.

Objective
    - The primary mission of a sniper in combat is to support combat operations by delivering precise long-range fire on selected targets. By this, the sniper creates casualties among enemy troops, slows enemy movement, frightens enemy soldiers, lowers morale, and adds confusion to their operations.

- The secondary mission of the sniper is collecting and reporting battlefield information (aka reconnaissance) A well-trained sniper, combined with the inherent accuracy of his rifle and ammunition, is a versatile supporting arm available to an infantry commander. The importance of the sniper cannot be measured simply by the number of kills he gets in Arma.

- A sniper enhances a unitís firepower and augments the varied means for destruction of the enemy. Whether a sniper is organic or attached, he will provide that unit with extra supporting fire. The sniperís role is unique in that it is the sole means by which a unit can engage point targets at distances beyond the effective range of an ordinary assault rifle. This role becomes more significant when the target is entrenched or positioned among civilians or obstacles and a squad needs that extra surgical precision

- Snipers should be employed in all levels of conflict. This includes conventional and unconventional offensive and defensive combat in which precision fire is needed at long ranges. It also includes combat patrols, ambushes, countersniper operations, forward observation elements, military operations in urbanized terrain, and retrograde operations in which snipers are part of forces left in contact or as stay-behind forces

(1) Marksmanship. A sniper operating in ArmA must be an expert marksman

(2) Vision. Eyesight is the sniperís prime tool. A sniper must have good eyesight and I would reccomend any sniper to use this wonderful tool for Arma http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2597 This will greatly increase your view distance and does not really hurt your performance as would going in your options and adjusting the viewdistnace from there

(3) Intelligence. A sniperís duties require a wide variety of skills. He must learn the following: Ballistics, Ammunition types and capabilities, Adjustment of optical devices, Radio operation and procedures, Land navigation skills, Military intelligence collecting and reporting, Identification of threat uniforms and equipment. In sniper team operations involving prolonged independent employment, the sniper must be self-reliant, display good judgment and common sense(the most important thing nowadays in the Arma world LOL)

Each member of the sniper team has specific responsibilities. Only through repeated practice can the team begin to function properly. Responsibilities of team members areas follows:

Duties and Responsibillites
    The sniper
    - Builds a steady, comfortable position

- Locates and identifies the designated target

- Estimates the range to the target

- Dials in the proper elevation and windage to engage the target
    (I would suggest using this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1648)

- Notifies the observer of readiness to fire

- Takes aim at the designated target

- Controls breathing at natural respiratory pause which means I highly suggest going prone at all costs. Even if grass gets in your way you should not let it be a hinderance to you cause you will have to get used to it

- Executes proper trigger control,which means you should not run and gun/ no scope in ArmA especially with a sniper(trust me I see it alot and it bothers me) or fire on a target without properly lining up your shot

- Follows through

- Makes an accurate and timely shot call. Prepares to fire subsequent shots, if necessary.

The observer
    - Properly positions himself

- Selects an appropriate target

- Assists in range estimation

- Calculates the effect of existing weather conditions on ballistics. Reports sight adjustment data to the sniper

- Uses the Critiques performance

- An Observer aka Spotter should never engage targets at long range as most guns in Arma that are not snipers have a effective range of up to 700m, I think

- A spotter should be prepared and heavily eqipped to defend the sniper once if and when enemy forces start to move on to their position until calvary or extration helo arrives

TEAM FIRING TECHNIQUES
    A sniper team must be able to move and survive in a combat environment. The sniper teamís mission is to deliver precision fire. This calls for a coordinated team effort. Together, the sniper and spotter must:

- Determine the effects of weather on ballistics

- Calculate the range to the target

- Make necessary sight changes

- Observe bullet impact

- Critique performance before any subsequent shots

CAMOUFLAGE
    Camouflage is one of the basic weapons of war. It can mean the difference between a successful or unsuccessful mission. To the sniper team, it can mean the difference between life and death. Camouflage measures are important since a sniper team cannot afford to be detected during certain ArmA missions while moving alone, as part of another element, or while operating from a firing position. Marksmanship training teaches the sniper to hit a target, and a knowledge of camouflage teaches him how to avoid becoming a target. Paying attention to your surroundings and enviroment is the mark of a well-trained sniper

TARGET INDICATORS
    - Sound. Most noticeable during hours of darkness. Caused by movement, equipment rattling, or talking. Small noises may be dismissed as natural, but talking will not

- Movement. Most noticeable during hours of daylight. The human eye is attracted to movement. Quick or jerky movement will be detected faster than slow movement

- Improper camouflage. Shine. Outline. Contrast with the background

RULES OF MOVEMENT
    - Always assume the area is under enemy observation.

- Move slowly. A sniper counts his movement progress by feet and inches cause in ArmA you will get tired very quickly which will effect your shot so make sure you rest before engaging a target

- Do not cause overhead movement of trees, bushes, or tall grasses by rubbing against them.

- Plan every movement and move in segments of the route at a time.

- Stop, look, and listen often.

- Move during disturbances such as gunfire, explosions, aircraft noise, wind, or anything that will distract the enemyís attention or conceal the teamís movement(this one is very important)

SNIPER TEAM MOVEMENT AND NAVIGATION

Due to lack of personnel and firepower, the sniper team cannot afford detection by the enemy nor can it successfully fight the enemy in sustained engagements

When possible, the sniper team should be attached to a security element (squad/platoon) The security element allows the team to reach its area of operations quicker and safer than the team operating alone. Plus, the security element provides the team a reaction force should the team be detected. Snipers use the following guidelines when attached to a security element:
    - The security element leader is in charge of the team while it is attached to the element

- The sniper team always appears as an integral part of the element

- The sniper team maintains proper intends and positions in all formations
    Once in the area of operation, the sniper team separates from the security element and operates alone

- The observer is the point man; the sniper follows

- The observer's sector of security is 3 oíclock to 9 oíclock,
    the sniperís sector of security is 9 oíclock to 3 oíclock (overlapping)

- Visual contact must be maintained even when lying on the ground

- An interval of no more than 20 meters is maintained

- The sniper reacts to the point manís actions

- The team leader designates the movement techniques and routes used

- The team leader designates rally points

Immediate action
    Visual contact
    If the sniper team sees the enemy and the enemy does not see the team, it freezes. If the team has time, it will do the following
    - Assume the best covered and concealed position

- Remain in position until the enemy has passed

- The team will not initiate contact

Ambush
    In an ambush, the sniper teamís objective is to break contact immediately. This involves performing the following:
    - The observer delivers rapid fire on the enemy

- The sniper throws smoke grenades between the observer and the enemy

- The sniper delivers well-aimed shots at the most threatening targets until smoke covers the area

- The observer then throws fragmentation grenades and withdraws toward the sniper, ensuring he does not mask the sniperís fire

- The team moves to a location where the enemy cannot observe or place direct fire on it

- If contact cannot be broken, the sniper calls for a security element (if attached)

- If team members get separated, they should return to the next-to-last designated en route rally point

Air attack(this is not really important but it comes in handy)- Team members assume the best available covered and concealed positions.
    - Between passes of aircraft, team members move to positions that offer better cover and concealment.

- The team does not engage the aircraft

- Team members remain in positions until attacking aircraft depart

- If team members get separated, they return to the next-to-last designated en route rally point

- To aid the sniper team in navigation, the team should memorize the route by studying maps. The team notes distinctive features (hills, streams, roads) and its location in relation to the route. It plans an alternate route in case the primary route cannot be used. It plans offsets to circumvent known obstacles to movement. The team uses terrain countdown, which involves memorizing terrain features from the start point to the objective, to maintain the route. During the mission, the sniper team mentally counts each terrain feature, thus ensuring it maintains the proper route.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    - If your good with ArmA editing I suggest you make your own single player missions with pop up targets located at different ranges to get a feel for it and also get some practice.

- I also suggest using moving targets whether theyre pop ups or men

- Get to know each sniper rifle in the game and their ups and downs

Re: My Sniper Operations Article

i've got a few maps like those suggested at the bottom. The pop up E target (i think it's called) works fairly well for varying distances and holds the impact mark for target inspection at a later time.
    Good article, a lot of valid points. the one thing you may want to look into are the varying roles/inherant differences between the sniper, scout/sniper and designated marksmen

Comment

Twiggy,

This reads like you've taken bits and pieces of an actual sniper manual and have cut it up in an attempt to make it apply to ArmA, without consideration for many things that are not simulated in ArmA.

Some examples are as follows, many of them lifted straight from here:
      - References to weather affecting ballistics - this does not occur in ArmA
      - References to "natural respiritory pause" - something which is not modeled in ArmA.
      - Speaking of building a "steady, comfortable position" - terminology which does not apply to ArmA
      - References to "follow through" without any indication as to what you believe that entails in ArmA. The reality of this and the ArmA version are distinctly different.
      - Vague reference to camouflage, which is mostly out of the control of a shooter in ArmA, without referencing the more appropriate reality of the game - concealment.
      - References to "sound" being a target indicator that is "most noticeable during hours of darkness" and includes "equipment rattling". Sound is not a target indicator in ArmA at that level to a sniper - gunshots, yes, movement, no. Sound is not "most noticeable during hours of darkness" in ArmA, either, as the things that factor into that are not modeled in ArmA.
      - Reference to "improper camoflauge", which, again, is beyond the realm of the ArmA player.
      - Reference to brushing against trees/bushes/etc and causes them to move - this does not happen in ArmA, period.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I do not think that your writeup is really tailored for ArmA. You've copied (in many areas verbatim) a sniper manual and have inserted "ArmA-isms" in some places, but the overall content is only partially applicable to the game, there are many references to things that are not modeled, and a lot of "military fluff" is included.

I would like to see someone who has 'trained' themselves off of this kind of material take a sniper role in a serious, no-respawn, player-vs-player environment. I think a sniper trained more specifically towards the realities of ArmA would dominate them.

Comment

I agree with

- The primary mission of a sniper in combat is to support combat operations by delivering precise long-range fire on selected targets. By this, the sniper creates casualties among enemy troops, slows enemy movement, frightens enemy soldiers, lowers morale, and adds confusion to their operations.

In TG the server the other day I got 25 kills with M107 before I was found.

Comment

And yes some of this stuff was taken from a sniper tactics article. I thought this was a good sniper tactics article so I said let me use it and change some stuff to make it ArmA. I know I should of written this from my own ideas but this article had alot of good points. But this does not mean I am not a good sniper. Many people that know me have found that I have a passion for snipers and sniper operation.
          Im sorry if you think I plagurized

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
            And yes some of this stuff was taken from a sniper tactics article. I thought this was a good sniper tactics article so I said let me use it and change some stuff to make it ArmA.
            This isn't generally a problem so long as you cite the source and don't simply copy-paste it without reference.

I know I should of written this from my own ideas but this article had alot of good points.
            Yes, you probably should have. The article is about real-world sniping - some things apply, many do not, and there are many additional and alternative considerations that must be made in ArmA. Your editing of the article did not take that into account, and that is my issue with it primarily.

But this does not mean I am not a good sniper.
            No, it doesn't. However, it does say (in my eyes) that you are not knowledgeable enough about 'snipercraft' in ArmA to write up your own ideas and your own take on how things work on it. You have missed opportunities to cover many things that are extremely relevant to ArmA (ie: considerations for sniping in adversarial missions where there is a true threat of counter-sniper tactics, unlike with AI) and have not really done much more than reiterate what a real-world manual says, frequently (as mentioned previously) verbatim.

Many people that know me have found that I have a passion for snipers and sniper operation.
            Having a passion for something, and being competent at it as both a participant and an instructor, are wildly different things. I think that the way the article was written shows that you have that passion, but it does not convey true knowledge of the subject (in large part due to it being regurgitation of a manual without consideration for things that do not apply), and it does not inspire confidence in the instructor's capacity. I have never personally written an article on sniping in ArmA (though I have covered some key points regarding it in my tactical guide, including counter-sniper/reaction to sniper/basic sniper-spotter coordination), but if I were to do so, it would be written based off of experience in ArmA sniping both in intense adversarial gaming as well as versus AI (which is much more 'relaxed'), and it would include ArmA-specific tips, tactics, et cetera, and not just regurgitation of a sniper field manual.

What you've done here is a pet peeve of mine. To quote the intro to my guide:
            Originally posted by dslyecxi's ArmA TTP
            One common pitfall I have noticed in other "tactical guides" for realistic games is that many people tend to recite military publications and field manuals verbatim without trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are a great many things that can be learned from such field manuals, but at the same time, the fidelity of our simulations is nowhere near high enough to make it all relevant. Even when something is relevant, it typically must be modified and adapted for use in even a highly realistic combat simulation. I believe that recognizing this and working with it as the most basic guideline is essential to producing useful tactical material.
            Im sorry if you think I plagurized
            Perhaps you should instead be sorry that you didn't cite your sources, and cite them in the root post + cite future sources if you ever decide to do another 'article' like this?

Your enthusiasm is good, though. Hopefully you can take a few lessons away from all of this.

Comment

Many gamers seem enthralled with sniping. Most of that same group understands the intended role. However, the limitations of the games or simulations means that a sniper truly can tip the balance when not facing a living adversary. This does not only apply to "sniper" rifles. Any rifle with magnification optics in a game can upset balance in coop situations. For example, take a standard coop and give people the option to choose their weapons and many opt for ACOG fitted rifles or actual sniper rifles, but the default gear was iron sights or open sights. By choosing the longer range weapons, the team of players often increases the range they engage the enemy beyond the mission design and decreases the necessity of team based directional fire. The team goes from a cohesive infantry unit to a gaggle of designated marksmen.

I'm not suggesting wanting to play as a sniper is a bad thing, just that some times it is over used and eliminates the need for a full squad in missions. On the flipside, choosing a sniper can even the odds when a full squad is unavailable. Also, this is not just ArmA specific. I guess it's part of gaming to want to be the specialized since many would rather play a Pilot, Sniper, or Rambo than Assistant Automatic Rifleman.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Plagiarism bad.

The rest is from here:
                http://home.swipnet.se/sniper/sniper/sniper.htm

:(

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                  Plagiarism bad.

The rest is from here:
                  http://home.swipnet.se/sniper/sniper/sniper.htm

:(
                  You know, I suspected that most of it was plagiarism, but I didn't want to rake him over the coals for it. However, upon further reflection - yeah, that's pretty bad. Almost nothing in that writeup is actually his content - it's 95% plagiarism.

:( indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                    Many gamers seem enthralled with sniping. Most of that same group understands the intended role. However, the limitations of the games or simulations means that a sniper truly can tip the balance when not facing a living adversary.

I'm not suggesting wanting to play as a sniper is a bad thing, just that some times it is over used and eliminates the need for a full squad in missions. On the flipside, choosing a sniper can even the odds when a full squad is unavailable. Also, this is not just ArmA specific. I guess it's part of gaming to want to be the specialized since many would rather play a Pilot, Sniper, or Rambo than Assistant Automatic Rifleman.
                    I would agree that many people gravitate towards the role of sniper or DM in most games. In ArmA, especially against the huge amount of AI faced, snipers are very effective. However the problem is that many people choose the role to simply be able to kill the most people possible with minimal threat. I don't think most people have a "passion" for true sniper roles i.e. only engaging critical targets and more importantly relaying information. It's the nature of the game I guess because it isn't %100 reality and doesn't reward a true sniper.

The problem is when to many individuals all try to fill this type of role. You then have only a handfull of players willing to go down into the streets, clear the town, taking the risks and accomplishing the critical objectives.

I like to play the DM role once in a while but I just can't sit still for that long to be a good sniper. I need to be kicking in doors and planting satchels :row__593:

Comment

Sniping isn't the be-all, end-all of soldier skills. In the real world, snipers spend most of their time lying on their bellies in a concealed position providing overwatch on a very limited target area (for various intelligence reasons or area denial roles). If a sniper in the real world operated the way most ArmA players do, he'd recieve artillery fire in his suspected area and even an Apache hunting him through their FLIR camera. He'd be hunted down and killed if he didn't egress the area immediately. Snipers in Iraq engaging US troops take one shot and then disappear into a neighborhood; if they stick around, they either get lit up with 120mm from a tank or a Hellfire from an Apache.

The lesson to take from this: if you're choosing to play sniper in ArmA, are you doing it to support your team with selective fire and intelligence reports on enemy movement, or are you doing it to play Vasili the Soviet Sniper and rack up point-and-shoot kills on mindless AI with the least possible chance of dying?

In any case, Dyslexci is correct: most of this article (and a lot of articles based on ArmA) don't really apply to the game.

Duties of an ArmA sniper:

1. Intelligence/Spot Reports. Tell your squad leader where the bad guys are, how many they are, and what they're doing. In my opinion, the ability to gather intel surreptiously and from a large stand-off is the ArmA sniper's most valuable skill. The overwatch he provides is invaluable in assisting the squad leader and keeping the leader updated on enemy movements. ISR assets (UAVs and the sort) are almost nil to an ArmA leader. The map sometimes updates, and sometimes doesn't.

2. Support fire. Enemy soldiers in ArmA do not feel fear, do not have morale, so engaging a squad with the purpose of disrupting their activities and creating confusion doesn't really apply. In fact, engaging them in this purpose simply alerts the enemy in the target area that the players are ingressing. The AI isn't human and shouldn't be treated as such.

Comment

It may just be me ... but when I see someone with a M107, M24, or even an ACOG or some such, I am disinclined to work together with them as opposed to someone with iron sights, or a red dot.

I don't know what it is about optics, BUT once a player gets some on their weapon, they seem to lose all interest in advancing and accomplishing objectives, or clearing an area. They are solely concerned with finding a "good hiding place" and obliviously shooting at AI (who have some pretty terrible contact drills). This inevitably ends with their demise ... yet they brag that "I killed 20 of them before I died!", when the other guy with the M4 Aimpoint killed 5 enemy, cleared half the town, and managed to stay alive for the whole 2 hours.

The closest thing I have seen to a "sniper" in ArmA was on a TvT attack and defend mission, our objective was to destroy a bridge in Obregan. We had a two man group in the hills above the town, there they sat, not firing a shot, simply relaying information on what the enemy was doing, what positions they were building/occupying, and giving sit reps on what in the hell our friendly troops were taking so long for :)

The interesting part was ... neither of these people had a sniper rifle. Neither of them had OPTICS on their weapons. They had the wonderful tool called binoculars.

My contribution to what an ArmA "sniper" should do would be this:

Refrain from engaging unless necessary, be able to provide quick, accurate, and reliable intelligence on an area designated by the mission leader. Sniper rifle optional.

In general, there are not many missions that involve snipers and regular infantry combined where the snipers could fulfill a role the regular infantry could not.

In my mind, the only exception would be a counter-sniper role, and, to be honest, I think a tank/APC/crew-served weapon would be more effective. Snipers are highly-specialized roles, you can't use a sniper to kill an enemy APC, you can't use a sniper to level that building you took fire from. But you CAN use a tank to find, and blow up that enemy sniper, as an example.

In pure PvP (absolutely no AI), sniping would become more effective (especially no-respawn PvP) since players will have a greater fear of death.

But, all in all, my NUMBER ONE reason why I dislike snipers in ArmA ... why the hell do I need 6 snipers when I don't have enough people for a freakin' rifle section?! Half of the team DOES NOT need to be snipers. Once that happens ALL hope for a coordinated mission is gone, and that is usually the time I resign my command and hide in the nearest bush.

Comment

I hate to see a hand full of snipers per team when the objectives are not being met. I enjoy playing around with the sniper rifles if I'm the only one on the server. This is what I did last night and after a while others joined. Since I never died over the two hours of play I kept my M107. Once the initial ducks in a barrel and key targets were down I pretty much spent most of the time following others around as I was useless for much else. Once we hit a new base I was useful again but after that I was back to tagging along.

I still think a designated marksman role is important and necessary in ArmA. Due to the huge amount of AI faced I think having some players with optics to pick away at a town is necessary. However once the first shot is fired the whole idea of a sniper kind of goes out the window with the super observant AI. If weapons are not limited I usually like to have an ACOG and then drop it in favor of an AK74 once in town. I just cant seem to hit much at range with iron sights but an ACOG in town is brutal.

Comment

Too many snipers can drastically change the focus of a team’s tactical engagement on a mission. But having some bias towards people with scoped weapons is ridiculous. Using iron sights is a waste of resources that is available to you in game. You are actually now hampering your team, should you choose iron sights when you have the ability to use an ACOG, MK12, AimPoint, or G36. Those weapons are all effective tools when supporting any mission. They increase the engagement distance and accuracy, resulting in more effective contact and less death on your team. They also allow for things like satchels, rockets and other secondary weapons to be carried which also make the user more of a force multiplier. Personally, I can clear any building just as good, if not better with one of the above listed weapons than most can with an iron sight. It all takes practice and understanding the capabilities of each gun.

As for something like the M107 or M24, yes they are predominantly a sniper exclusive weapon they is used for distant engagements. They serve their purposes from long distances 500+ meters. If afforded the opportunity to use them to keep me out of range from the enemy to soften up the enemy, I will choose them first. That makes sense. Now, if the role requires us to move into a city and clear, I will of course use a more short range weapon that be fired faster and is easier to acquire targets at shorter distances.

One thing people forget is to properly plan any assault and prepare for it. I ALWAYS load out vehicles I am going in with to have a sniper rifle and an in-close weapon with the appropriate ammo. This way when the distance is closed I can simple grab the gun I need.

As for the use of binos, well I never use them because I have a gun with glass. I so hate how long it takes to transition from them to your primary rifle when you end up seeing a target. Using glass to spot a target saves me several seconds in target to lead on target.
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                              In pure PvP (absolutely no AI), sniping would become more effective (especially no-respawn PvP) since players will have a greater fear of death.......
                              With the right group, good mission design (which include balanced load-outs), snipers are terrifying and can crank up the intensity of a mission.

However, IMO, just the availability of sniper rifles and optics is one of the reasons adversarial (PvP) missions in ArmA fail hard on a public server, as it always degrades into the inevitable snipe fest. Co-op just turns into lone wolfing, or the very least a slap fight on comms over who gets the sniper slot.

But, all in all, my NUMBER ONE reason why I dislike snipers in ArmA ... why the hell do I need 6 snipers when I don't have enough people for a freakin' rifle section?! Half of the team DOES NOT need to be snipers. Once that happens ALL hope for a coordinated mission is gone, and that is usually the time I resign my command and hide in the nearest bush.
                              Couldn't agree more. Far better and rewarding experiences are possible in this game than playing a sniper.

Too many snipers can drastically change the focus of a team’s tactical engagement on a mission. But having some bias towards people with scoped weapons is ridiculous. Those weapons are all effective tools when supporting any mission. They increase the engagement distance and accuracy, resulting in more effective contact and less death on your team.
                              They are also the "easy" button. Scoped weapons against AI is like shooting fish in a barrel, but if it's the typical ArmA mission that pits 10 super soldiers against a 1000 AI then it's an acceptable equalizer. But like other overpowered assets in ArmA (i.e. cobras, etc.) they are often limited by mission design.

I still contend that optics and sniper equipment should play a very limited role, if any at all, in adversarial missions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X