ArmA - Some Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA - Some Questions

I was thinking of buying the game, and was actually convinced. But, when I went to Wal-Mart, it was closed, along with every other store in Canada. I forgot, it was Canada Day. well now I was just thinking about some aspects of the game that I would like to know about before spending 20$ - 30$. If anyone could answer these questions it would be great.:)

1. Since the game is mostly Co-op, can you actually have teamwork with bots? Could you get a squad going that works the same as if you were playing with humans? If you can, how hard is it to do?

2. I've heard people saying they have to do qualifications such as Anti-Tank training? Must you do this to play online?

3. How hard is the game to learn in comparison to games such as ProjectReality? How long would it take a newbie to become experienced enough to play the game without being looked at as a dumby?

Thanks for the help and I think even if these questions aren't answered I'll still purchase the game. It looks really good.

I hope to see you guys around in the near future.
    |TG|
    ||||

Re: ArmA - Some Questions

Originally posted by =Sonic_Striker= View Post
    I was thinking of buying the game, and was actually convinced. But, when I went to Wal-Mart, it was closed, along with every other store in Canada. I forgot, it was Canada Day. well now I was just thinking about some aspects of the game that I would like to know about before spending 20$ - 30$. If anyone could answer these questions it would be great.:)

1. Since the game is mostly Co-op, can you actually have teamwork with bots? Could you get a squad going that works the same as if you were playing with humans? If you can, how hard is it to do?
    Yes, but I personally don't really find this a compelling aspect of the game, although some people do. There is a radio menu system that lets you either address your AI squad as a whole (i.e. to put them into formation, move orders, etc) or individually (i.e. set watch directions, place AI in specific spots..). I would rather play than micro-manage AI.

Co-op with human squad mates is far more fun.

It's a little unfair to say the game is mostly co-op though...although I agree that 90% of the servers out there are co-op. I think that's just a result of a lack in maturity of the player base and a shortage of good, properly designed adversarial missions.

2. I've heard people saying they have to do qualifications such as Anti-Tank training? Must you do this to play online?
    No. Anyone that would say this has never actually played the game before.

3. How hard is the game to learn in comparison to games such as ProjectReality? How long would it take a newbie to become experienced enough to play the game without being looked at as a dumby?
    Depends. Being based on a simulation, there is certainly more complexity in the controls, but I don't think it's anything people can't easily handle. Most people can be comfortable with the controls just by spending a hour or two on the server. I would say, learn the basic stuff on your own, in SP (or try learning the mission editor, it's quite easy to place a few units then muck around), then jump on the server and ask questions. Everyone on there is willing to help new people out.

Thanks for the help and I think even if these questions aren't answered I'll still purchase the game. It looks really good.
    Download the demo. It runs like crap, but the keybindings and general gameplay is the same as the retail version, so it should give you a good idea of what to expect from that angle. But make sure you jump on the server as soon as possible and get your feet wet.

BTW, you can also buy ArmA off of steam: http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?...pId=2780&cc=CA

I'm sure more will chime in with their opinions too

Cheers,

Comment

1. I almost never use an AI squad, the time spent messing around with them is distracting and annoying. They can be usefull though to place one in a vehicle to help you driver or return a piece of equipment to base etc.

2. No - but I have an AT mission I built for the sole purpose of practicing with AT, it's good to get dialed in before playing in a mission

3. It's not a difficult game to learn but it does take longer then others to learn. There is just a much larger amount of buttons to use, allot of variables in the game you need to be aware of and the pace of play is different then most games. I would strongly suggest playing around in SP or creating some simple missions to try out different pieces of equipment. I came from PR when I started ArmA and it was a natural progression.

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot guys. Those answers were exactly what I wanted to hear. The game sounds great. I'll get it before the day is out.

Thanks again.

P.S. one for question that I was just curious about:

In ArmA can you use assets such as armour and aircraft?
        or is it pretty much ground based?
        |TG|
        ||||

Comment

It is like PR where you pretty much have the whole range you can go with. On TG servers we mostly just have missions that use foot troops and the equlivent of PR's APCs along with helos, but I have been on other servers with lots of people in jets and tanks.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by =Sonic_Striker= View Post
            In ArmA can you use assets such as armour and aircraft?
            or is it pretty much ground based?
            One of the largest differences between PR and ArmA is that instead of having a set amount of maps available (ala PR), vanilla ArmA is staged on a single landbase, which is a fairly large island (although people are releasing new islands all the time).

It's up to the mission maker to design and implement their mission, and generally decide the: mission objectives (can be game-modes like PR, whether it's co-op/tvt, or purely objective based), available equipment/units, geographical scope (use the whole island, a single town, etc), respawn/no respawn, etc. etc. In the end, most of this is only limited by the mission makers imagination (i.e. look up Sahrani life for an interesting use of ArmA)

In addition to the stock ArmA vehicles/units, there is a vast array of addons that have been developed (submarines, B52's, nukes, HALO jumps... to name a few) and these can be used in missions as well, but can require a separate download of an addon to work, so you won't see these a lot on public servers (including TG).

Some missions, like Evo or Domination require you to complete certain objectives or mini-mission before equipment is unlocked, but again, this is a function of mission design.

As bamboo noted, many people prefer infantry roles on the TG server, and this has partly to do with the fact that air assets in ArmA are an overwhelming force, and it's often more enjoyable for 10 people to clear a town street by street than have 9 people watch 1 person level it with an A10.

So, in short, yes. In long, depends what mission you're playing.

Comment

Ok Thanks a lot for your help guys.
              |TG|
              ||||

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse