Giving it another shot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving it another shot

If you don't care about the back-story, skip to the end. I can phrase it in one sentence there.

The last time I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I couldn't decide on whether to go the ArmA or CoD4 route, and as you can probably tell due to my absence from these particular sub forums, I went the CoD4 route given the appearance of ArmA2 and OFP2 on the horizon.

Well, I have another $50 bucks, and I figured before I get the urge to fill up my gas tank (haha), I can probably splurge on another game. Seeing as both sequels won't be coming out until late '09, and that I am a senior, and a military academy candidate (USAFA, USNA, or USMA in that order in case you care), I can't see much high commitment game playing in my future, so I'll carpe deim for my short life left as a care free civilian.

Ok, so I thought PR would dig itself out of the hole of self righteousness that too many of the players are wallowing in right now, but I was wrong, and I want to move up.

So, for somebody looking to enter ArmA, 1) How large is the community 2) How often do you play 3) What do I need as far as add-ons 4) What about your community makes it deserving of me? :D

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Re: Giving it another shot

Firstly, good choice and welcome!

Secondly, the ARMA community online is huge. Within that large Multiplayer world, you have a huge number of servers to choose from, some good, some strangely run, some a little too "cliquey" for my liking and then you get the idiots, teamkillers, lone wolves, points hunters etc, etc.

Inbetween all of that, you find the odd one or two servers where mature players get together and try to play organised realistic style play with structure and co-ordination and I am very happy to say that the TG servers fit that style of play. You will find everyone on here extremely helpful in getting you up and running. Many of us like our mods and things like sound mods, weapons, vehicles, etc from sites like Armaholic really do improve the game, however these mods can also cause servers some considerably performance issues with many crashes.

Some of the players are veteran ARMA players and others not so, some have real world military experience, others not. But we all enjoy the game. 12 hour online sessions have been known for some! :O

TG has a 2nd server which runs no mods at all and a regular bunch of guys are often found playing. Our latest thing seems to be Domination missions where everyone has their role to fulfill but most importantly, people listen to their Squad Leader's/Commanders and the structure provides the basis for a lot of fun.

If you have just bought the game, you will need to patch it up to the latest version then get online and give it a go.

It just depends the style of play that you want. If realistic as can be, is the way you would like to play, then this is a great place for you.

Best
    BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

ARMA is a more "intimate" game then PR or the other BF2 Variants.. by that I mean when you find a group of gamers you can play with and like their style.. Nothing else will do...
      You will not find the daily 60+ Players on an ARMA server... on a planned event you MAY get 40-50..and that is Rare (more like the low 20's).. but the Quality of Player you get in ARMA will out shine most that you find in games like PR. Gamers who like to F' around and do stupid things are not tolerated and grow tired or assimilate quickly.
      The finest ARMA game you will probably get into will include 5-10 of your regulars...and a Player created COOP map.. which will take you from the deserts of southern part of the island to the great mountains and forests of the north... Good Stuff....
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

So are there ranks and whatnot? Just assuming there are, what exactly do they do?

I've tried the demo many times, but I always felt as if I was only scratching the surface of a hopelessly deep ocean.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Originally posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
          So are there ranks and whatnot? Just assuming there are, what exactly do they do?.
          Nothing like that. Some user missions have ranks to control access to certain equipment, but there is no system, like bf2 or cod4, where your rank is dependant on points and other gamey acheivements. Your access to equipment is entirely up to the mission maker.

Comment

Following on from Jam's post, arma isn't designed to have that progression/power-up mode. It is nothing like BF2 (or it's type), this is more a simulation than a game and you either get to choose your wepon or it is set by the mission builder.

Something need to be said about missions as well - coop or tvt. With coop the AI do a capable job of making it a challenge to plat against them. TvT obviously is the same kind of thing whereever you go but the actual mission you play is down to the mission builder and the options are vast.

Sahrani life is a mission designed as a cops and robbers game. Well I say robbers but in fact you can choose to abide by the law and make money that way. This is totally off being what arma is, a war simulation and making it into something compeltely different. Want a mission where you fight UFO's and aliens - you can do that to.

That being said, most missions are along the lines of insert here, complete these objectives and extract, based along a military theme. The examples above are exceptions to the rule but indicate what can be done with arma (there's a few "night of the living dead" missions out there too).

Controls in Arma aren't particularly fluid and can be frustrating but you learn to play around them. The maps are large (i.e I spawned in the other day and my FTL was 16km away) and missions are designed locally, around an objective or across the whole map. Weapons are fairly realistic (i'm told) and there are plenty of vehicles to operate - if they are included in the mission and that's the crux - you only have access to what the MB puts in but as arma uses scripts to run it's missions, those scripts can practically achieve anything you want (fast roping is being worked on I think, as well as a ton of other ones).

It's a pretty large subject to explaing because of its scope but I hope that helped :)
            Jex.

Comment

Well I started out in PR a long time ago, then I switched to Arma and played it for a good while and then switched to COD4 when it was released. When COD4 came out Arma was still problamatic for me and the new game seemed to sap away the players.

I just recently came back to Arma with the final patch. What a breath of fresh air it has been coming from TG COD4 and a working ArmA. I enjoy COD4 for what it is but as your aware ArmA is a much different experince

The TG ArmA server has a really good bunch of guys playing on it. There is no arguing over rules and no a$$ clowns trying to ruin the game.

If you don't mind a slower paced game (though fire fights can be anything but) and have some patience to learn the game you should enjoy it. The controls and feel of the game take some time to adjust to; my suggestion would be to try out some of the single player to get a handle on them.

The nice thing with ArmA is that even with only 5 players on the server you can make a run at a mission if you work together. Since I started back at ArmA the player levels have been much higher during the week then they used to be.

Comment

One question: Do I need the gold edition to play with you guys?

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Originally posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
                  One question: Do I need the gold edition to play with you guys?
                  No. Which ever version you get, you'll just have to patch it up to 1.14.

Comment

Great, thanks.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Gave up on ArmedA initially as it simply ran like crap and was barely playable but after a slew of reading and the 1.14 patch it's running smooth as silk.

Right now I'm more or less in "training mode" trying to organize the key commands , and playing around with various assets in SP mode (lets face it , I ain't ever gonna get to fly an A10 in an online campaign).

And with summer , outdoor activities (yard work , house renno's etc ) hard to find a Saturday or Sunday to dedicate to a campaign but by fall after the snow flies , I should be up to speed with it and ready to go!! :D
                      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

ArmA is one of the greatest, most immersive games in the history of TheBigC.... and that is a loong time my friend!

Welcome back to greatness!!
                        Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
                          but by fall after the snow flies , I should be up to speed with it and ready to go!! :D

Living in Alberta that should be by the end of the week then, no?:row__593:

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
                            ...(lets face it , I ain't ever gonna get to fly an A10 in an online campaign)...
                            Bread-and-butter ground-pounding is where its at. Failing that, reconnaissance on enemy supply lines and threat compositions are thrilling, too. The subtleties and adrenalines rushes you recieve from this game far outweigh the thrills you experience in other games... just like other simulations. Invest in the game and what it offers, and you'll be well-rewarded.

For what it's worth, it simulates the pacing of real combat operations quite well (long moments of relative boredom, tense stretches of nervousness, and then frenetic moments of action... rinse and repeat), so if its realism you're looking for, this is as close as you'll get unless you go and do what a few of us here have done and served in your country's military.

Comment

Downloading now. Sheesh it takes forever.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed