Looking for a joystick...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a joystick...

Well as the title states, im looking into buying a joystick.

Since I never owned, nor shopped for, one i decided to look here and get some advice to get the job done and buy the thing that I've wanted for a *long* time.

The main reason why I've decided to spend a few bucks is because, beside ArmA off course, I recently acquired Falcon 4.0 Allied Force and I'm slowly getting into it (which means reading the 700+ pages long manual)

Basically...what do I have to look for? Wich brand? Any special model?
    One more thing...i want the price to be fairly reasonable...
    ><

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Re: Looking for a joystick...

I use the Logitech Extreme3D Pro, works very well for me, especially the throttle slider, makes flying a lot easier! lots of hat swtiches as well to programme for different things like weapon selection, head views, next target, etc etc.
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I got the Logitech wireless one thinking it would save me from cord tangle. Instead, I get killed by battery-saving shutdown. Not during flight, but when I'm running to the helo after some ground combat and find all my trim presets have reset.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

As for brands, i have a MicrosoftSidewinder PrecisionPro for almost 9 years and it still makes my planes fly at IL2 and LockOn.

As for good joysticks you have Thurstmaster (with the top Hotas), and Saitek (with the X52). I really dont like the design of logitech joysticks.....

Almost everyone i know that plays FalconAF, uses the Hotas since it's a replica from the real F16, but some are real pilots and all good players.

Since it's the first joystick you will buy, i would look for something with the basics. A throttle slider, rotationary axis (rudder axis) and a trim configurator in the joystick (this one is harder).

Good luck finding a good joystick, when you buy it please report back to us.
        sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Good..ill keep you guys posted...
          I looked for joysticks reviews on cnet...the average price of the saitek x52/53 was fairly reasonable (it was under 100 buks) so i went to my local retailer's website and its 172$...that thing is effing expensive...

Ill look into the models you've suggested Jorge. Thanks alot.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

Take a look at this bad boy

Comment

How about the Xbox360 controller?

Anyone tried using that one?

I have the Logitech wireless and the 360 controller and need to see which one will work better...

Comment

I just got a thrustmaster flight stick x. It's quite cheap and I really like it.

Comment

xFire, i have been doing a research on joysticks (i think i need a new one) and just found this one, take a look:

Saitek Aviator (aka av8r)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    I just got a thrustmaster flight stick x. It's quite cheap and I really like it.
                    Looks like a good option too, is it strong or made of cheap plastic?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                      Looks like a good option too, is it strong or made of cheap plastic?
                      It feels sturdy and strong enough. There also is a protection at the base of the stick, which is very good if you smoke a lot while flying like me. Cigarette ash is not so good for that joint I've learned :). Also there is a sliding throttle, this is very important to me, because you can find a certain throttle position effectively without needing to watch the feedback that the game gives you.

In fact I bougt it because it seemed to be the cheapest decent stick with a sliding throttle.

Comment

Yeah the Flight Stick X is something im interested into...its not TOO expensive for a first joystick and looks sturdy and good enough...a work mate wants to sell me his Saitek ST290Pro (http://saitek.com/uk/prod/st290pro.htm) joystick since hes getting the HOTAS Cougar from Thrustmaster for about the same price...

dont know wich one to get...I tried it out during my work hours (ST290Pro) and its also a sturdy joystick and its like-new (and still under warrantee)
                        Last edited by Xmaster; 07-14-2008, 07:02 PM.

The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                          Yeah the Flight Stick X is something im interested into...its not TOO expensive for a first joystick and looks sturdy and good enough...a work mate wants to sell me his Saitek Cyborg Evo (http://saitek.com/uk/prod/evo.htm) joystick since hes getting the HOTAS Cougar from Thrustmaster for about the same price...

dont know wich one to get...I tried it out during my work hours (Cyborg Evo) and its also a sturdy joystick and its like-new (and still under warrantee)
                          Does the cyborg evo have a throttle whell? I dont see any and they dont talk about it in the specs too.

If not, i would go for the flight stick X.
                          sigpic

Comment

To put more gas? Yes...at the very base of the joystick, on the base's back tip (closest to you) Instead of a slider (like the flight stick x), its a little arm you push up
                            What I like about the flight stick X is that there's more buttons...but on the other hand...are they THAT useful?

EDIT: My workmate's joystick is the ST290 pro. Specs can be found here http://saitek.com/uk/prod/st290pro.htm

The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                              To put more gas? Yes...at the very base of the joystick, on the base's back tip (closest to you) Instead of a slider (like the flight stick x), its a little arm you push up
                              What I like about the flight stick X is that there's more buttons...but on the other hand...are they THAT useful?

EDIT: My workmate's joystick is the ST290 pro. Specs can be found here http://saitek.com/uk/prod/st290pro.htm
                              Buttons are very usefull, when in a dog fight, you dont really want to look to the keyboard and see what is the key for, switching on/off your radar, change the HUD, the ammo type, arming the missiles, deploying chafes and flares, etc... you want to keep your eyes in the screen.

What is the price of the T.flight stick x and the the ST290 pro, you have avaible to you?

I thinks is better for you to go to the Falcon4.0 forums, they will be probably more useful in your choice than us. I dont really play flight simulators as much as i did....
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...