Just a little dose of reality........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little dose of reality........

Whilst we are playing online a combat simulation, some of you have felt the real thing, others maybe only the TV news broadcasts. Guys are taking hits everyday in both Afghanistan and Iraq and there is no respawn there! Time is critical, squad leaders need to take charge and get people moving in the thick of of all the crap.....

One of our lads went down in Afghanistan and on this rare occasion it was caught on tape and the effort to clear a wounded guy from the battlefield. I knew of this unit and of this case but did not know the guy. I found the following two clips on Youtube whilst looking for film clips of the Chinook mod for ARMA. It really is worth watching both clips in order and remembering what our fellas and girls are doing in those god forsaken sandpits of hell!

Chris was also an online gamer, so many of those who play the games end up doing the real thing.

This is when one of your men goes down:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1otP5KWdI94&feature=related[/media]

This happened to be an Royal Air Force documentary being filmed at the time on the Chinook crews, when the call came in that Chris Gray was down and needed urgent medic evac. This footage is as it happened and NOT recreated. Both pilots and Chinook medical crew bust it hard and fast to get in and get him out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACA8wJ6dRWM

Unfortunately despite an amazing piece of flying and professionalism to simply get in and get the job done, Chris did not make it.

RIP m8 and to all the others fighting, keep safe fellas!
    Last edited by Blackdog1; 07-14-2008, 03:46 AM.
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Just a little dose of reality........

The footage is part of the UK documentary "Ross Kemp in Afghanistan". Highly recommended if you can get hold of it.

I shows how much "under control" anything is over there compared to how the media usually paints the picture.
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

That is very interesting I'll see if I can get some more information about that.
      Look under your chair!

Comment

both links show " video not available" firewall issue here???
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
          both links show " video not available" firewall issue here???
          They have the whole series on liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/browse?q=ros...=Search&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf View Post
            The footage is part of the UK documentary "Ross Kemp in Afghanistan". Highly recommended if you can get hold of it.

I shows how much "under control" anything is over there compared to how the media usually paints the picture.
            If you are like me you don't belive anything you hear on tv unless it happens close to where I live. I know better to do my own reserch if I want to know about something not belive what bias media has to say. I did lots of my own research while in the Army
            "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

I can assure you JRCobra that what you see in those clips is very much real.

While Ross Kemp is a bit of an arse, I knew he was doing this series, just didnt realise they covered this incident.
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by JRCOBRA View Post
                If you are like me you don't belive anything you hear on tv unless it happens close to where I live. I know better to do my own reserch if I want to know about something not belive what bias media has to say. I did lots of my own research while in the Army

This was as real as it gets really, My brother was in the regiment that ross kemp was following, altough he wasnt with chris greys team. Another incident was covered in the same series a blue on blue accident killed or injured about 4 people.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Didn't mean to sound like it wasn't real. I meant I look up actual videos taken by soldiers and things like that. I saw the Afganistan thing on youtube but I don't recall that part was that part of it or was that something else he did.
                  "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Oh geez. Condolances to the Gray family, and also a "Thank you" for letting us see this.

Dear old dad was a US Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Career. CW4. Instrument rated. A paper sack full of medals in a closet in the garage. He flew all of the helicopters of his day, but loved the Chinooks. He doesn't talk too much about the details of his wartime experience, so this footage is another link in trying to understand my dad.

I've been fortunate enough to fly with him in a Huey, and the preflight check shown in this video is absolutely amazing. A blur. It really affects me, the ability of humans to rise above themselves in order to save a life. It seemed to me that the co-pilot had to wipe away tears (of frustration? Sympathy? Stress?) a few times during that flight, but despite the emotion was sharp as a razor and did his duty and then some.

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Thanks Black for letting us see this. These guys out there are doing and amazing job despite what others say. That lad was so young...geez...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                      The BigC

Comment

It's nice to have a reality check. The games are fun, and it's easy to forget how scary a fight is, even second hand like this.

Comment

Didn't read the description in the beginning, was rooting for Chris on the edge of my seat the whole helicopter ride back poor guy... A sobering video for sure
                          "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

ross kemp in afghanistan was an outstanding miniseries imho.
                            also very good NGC's Inside The Green Berets, following an ODA in Afghanistan for a while.

you can find it on youtube, but i can't post any links just yet apperently.
                            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Anyone know the statistics of recorded weapons and ammunition used by the Insurgents? Already knowing the main weapon is the Ak (infamous rifle) and I'd be guessing that just about a;; the rounds are regulars but do any of the insurgents ever get caught with armor piercing rounds or anything?
                              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X