How realistic is ArmA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How realistic is ArmA?

Okay, I just ordered a copy of ArmA for like $9 (shipped).

Before I actually get the game and install it, how realistic is the game in MP?

What about jumping? Is it limited by stamina?

I presume I can run it seeing how I am running on my new rig. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: How realistic is ArmA?

Is this the original ArmA or ArmA Gold (with Queen's Gambit expansion)?

There is no jumping. Unless you count vehicles flying off cliffs because some nitwit didn't check the topography.

And about realism...it's realistic. Very realistic. The problem is the enemy AI. In vanilla ArmA for MP, they can be extremely frustrating (I call them Bulletproof Cannon Fodder).

But at TG, the servers have been configured to operate on a far more realistic principle than most servers. So don't worry about realism. :)
    Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

I would say that it is one of the most realistic infantry oriented games out there particularly for coop play. As for Multiplayer PVP I would say the nod still goes to Project Reality, but others would probably disagree.

What I find makes it realistic is the scale of the gaming world that you have to play on. This coupled with its detail makes it an awsome game.

With a new rig and a high speed connection, you should have no probs, just be aware that it does have some awkward klunky bugs.

PS, there is no jumping.

Comment

ArmA is very realistic that is why both the USMC and the Aussie defense force trains with it. There is no jumping but then again not many people could jump with 100+ pounds on their body. As for MP it is the greatest most tactical realistic mp ever. There are many different missions/scenarios you can play on. There is PVP in a game mode called Warfare where there are two teams both with AI and there is an independant forces which is all AI. The objective is too capture cities and towns to earn money and to destroy the enemy base. Bases must be built using money and you get an over head perspective while building so its like an rts. There is also a mobile HQ which is an apc it can be driven so that you may set up more then one base. you can build all sorts of stuff like vehicles to use defenses and artillery to be used by AI to give you fire support missions. Both bases start out in random locations so there is no such thing as base rape as the enemy for most of the game wont know where your base is plus you can just move your base if it gets attacked. Warfare is great but Coop is where ArmA shines. There is a game mode called Domonation in which you must seize cities one by one while fighting AI but thats just a breif summary of domonation its much better. There are also missions where you save hostages and tons of other intresting small missions. There are also new missions almost every week becuase you can design your own. There are also tons of addons and there are new ones every day go to armaholic.com to get some or alot :). You can also you lots of mods at once so hypothetically you could have aliens in Iraq using world war two weapons. Also you can host your own game off your comp so you can play special missions that you made with your friends using lots of addons while keeping it private so others may not join. All in All ArmA is by far the most realistic, tactical multiplayer intesive game money can buy. By the way dont waste your time on single player it sucks and is nothing like online if you want I can train you as it is hard to pick up ArmA at first if youd like to be trained send me a PM
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

:o Such fast responses... :p

(Oh I am talking about original since the one I ordered was not the Gold edition.)

I take it there isn't rampant cheating in ArmA?

What about stamina? Is there some stamina to inhibit how far a player can run in the game world?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

:o Such fast responses... :p

(Oh I am talking about original since the one I ordered was not the Gold edition.)

I take it there isn't rampant cheating in ArmA?

What about stamina? Is there some stamina to inhibit how far a player can run in the game world?
              As far as stamina, the game has it built in that it drastically affects your aiming and shooting until you control your breathing after running. I really like this effect and think it is pretty well balanced.

As for cheating, it is not a issue. We do not have the "kiddie" crowd that are interested in messing with servers. The game has scores, but that has nothing to do with the game. It is all about mission accomplishment, which is a huge turn off for the genre of the cheaters. It is always possible, but between checks built into the server and a community that would instantly recognize it, it is not something to be concerned with.

As for the version, it does not matter. As long as you have the 1.14 patch, you are ready to go ingame.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Ehh I wouldnt nescessarily say that theirs no cheaters at all, every once in awhile their used to be hackers that would make you just stop playing all together but the new patches released have practiclly stopped all hackers in their tracks (and redid the ArmA bots so they aren't Gun deitys). I'd suggest not playing the single player missions at all if not then just play them after getting in a couple of MP sessions.

For MP if you stop in on almost any server that has more than 5 people in it you'll be able to find someone willing to help you out with any ingame questions you have. The ArmA community is pretty big. It's like the BF2 community but a lot better with organization, timing, respect and etc.
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I would suggest playing some of the single player. Not because its very good but just to get used to the controls. There are delays in switching weapons or accessing equipment, even changing your stance. If you are not comfortable with the keys (I suggest playing around a bit with the keys but not much until you have played for a while) then life will be frustrating.

Be sure to jump on the mp and ask questions, we play allot of Domination on server 2 and it has a few unique options built into the mission like para dropping and mobile headquarters.

It is a realistic game and the mods running on the TG servers make it more so IMO. Domination is a little more fast paced but the no respawn missions are extreamly tense and realistic.

Comment

Acreo,
                    Grab me on x-fire and I will get you all patched up when the game arrives and can jump into a server with you for a quick tutorial on things.

I really came close to giving up on the game about 3 days after buying because I was playing the single player missions and they were completly bugged. On a whim I jumped into our MP server, and it blew my mind. Haven't tried single player since.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Agree with LongBow about the SP missions. They’re a great way to learn the nuances of the game while customizing the keyboard and tweaking your settings to your liking etc.

Some say the SP may be a little buggy but to be honest, I haven’t found any game destroying bugs myself yet.

True that MP is probably loads of fun but at least in SP you can tweak your settings, change your keys, try the different weapons etc. without having to worry about connection issues, ping, waiting your turn etc.etc.
                      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

You could download the demo and give it a spin while you're waiting, but expect the performance to be pretty crappy compared to the retail version (unless they've patched the demo too). This will give you a pretty good idea what you're getting you're self into :)

The stamina system is pretty rudimentary, but the recently released TrueMods has a slightly more complicated system, and of course, we're all waiting for ACE which will have a very comprehensive system.

There is no "jump" button in ArmA, but there are mods out there that will let you jump over smaller fences and obstacles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          I really came close to giving up on the game about 3 days after buying because I was playing the single player missions and they were completly bugged. On a whim I jumped into our MP server, and it blew my mind. Haven't tried single player since.
                          QFT
                          This here is the biggest killer of the community.. and I was in the same boat.. as with most of my friends who bought it, tried it and uninstalled it the same week. They never really give it a chance.

The game isnt made like any other title.. It is more of a FPS mission builder than a CoD or BF game. and the missions that are in the "SP" , that came with the game, are just not well done.. from old version? bad coding? or just bad mission build, not sure.. but the ones(missions/mods/maps) that the community have built are, and will always be better.. as they are built by the player, made the way the player wants it.

oh .. and jumping can be hazardous to your health.. as you shall see :row__685:
                          theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                          E Pluribus Unum
                          Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            Acreo,
                            Grab me on x-fire and I will get you all patched up when the game arrives and can jump into a server with you for a quick tutorial on things.

I just got the game in on Monday and spent most of yesterday downloading the big patches (:icon_eek:).

I got through Weapon Familiarization and Obstacle Course. (Got Expert Marksmen...felt very similar to AA.)

I'm not used to the gun swivel motion thingy. It feels like Freelancer almost, but a lot more complex.

I also couldn't for the life of me figure out how to reload, arm, and fire the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher.

Otherwise than that, I'm about to head over to a friend's house so hopefully I can catch Bam later tonight or tomorrow for a game or two. :)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I also couldn't for the life of me figure out how to reload, arm, and fire the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher.
                              Press "F" to change fire/weapon modes:

semi -> auto -> m203. Reload as usual.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...