Strykers. I hate Strykers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strykers. I hate Strykers

So... I think somebody read the mission role wrong when they gave us these things. Apparently the stryker has armor proofed up to 7.62/.30. This is great. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would just love to shoot up US Marines with 7.62 MGs of various makes an models. They're probably all staying up nights wonder what they're going to do with their now useless 7.62s when a Stryker Battalion roles into town.

The thing is, none of these guys live on Sahrani.

Given that every conceivable mission in Arma puts you up against infantry with PKs and RPGs, trucks with mounted fiftys and AGS30s, ATGMs, 20mm cannons, 30mm cannons, various calibers of really big rockets, and the odd 100mm+ main battle tank cannon, driving around in a striker is basically a very fancy and expensive way to drive your own coffin to your funeral, and I would kill for a Bradley.

What? Bradleys? Those old things?

The BMP2 has, as armament, a 7.62 MG, a 30mm autocannon, and a quintent of AT missiles.

Let's run this down.

With the MG, it can kill you and your entire platoon. Then it can happily knock off your air support with the 30 auto, and bust your Abrahms (Maybe not in real life, but in ARMA) with a guided missile, while you sit in your ricky dink little stryker trying to pop holes in it with a .50. Then, then, get this! wait for it! I can swim! Yes, Swim! Up to your Air Craft Carrier, knock politely on the door, then ram the sucker and probably blow that up, too.

I do not like this, sam I am!

Now, I understand that the stupendously low survivability of armor in Arma is mostly down to how they coded it, but I have died so many times to such things as 1. A heavy machine gun, not ten feet away, trying to drill a hole in my armor while the AI was too dumb to hose it with the GL 2. Every damn RPG round fired at me, even the ones that missed me and may have continued happily on to the moon, and 3. Something. I don't know what. But suddenly I died and my APC caught fire. I find it frustrating.

So, in conclusion

Stryker vs. rag tag band of insurgents with 30 year old AKs and RPGs that they're not really sure how to use? Probably a good idea, especially since the driver and the gunner can... you know... talk to each other. And there are twelve guys in the back with at least twelve brains between them.

Stryker vs. Sahrani Liberation Army, where standard doctrine for this plucky communist invasion force dictates that every other guy has an RPG and that the first thing he should do on contact is run into a bush, go prone, wait for twenty minutes until every one of his buddies in five miles (except for all the other RPG guys, who are prone in bushes) is dead, then pop up to take a perfect rear armor shot on your (Choose One: Tank/Jeep/APC/Squad/Mom/Dog) = BAD! BAD BAD BAD!

To say nothing of the dozens of SU-34bs that the SLA has and can throw at you wave after wave, all of which mount missiles that can reliably lock on, target, and destroy your motorbike while the jet cruises by at a leisurely 55 miles an hour.

Argh! I love this game, but it hurts me so!

Yours truly,

Seriously Outgunned Sahrani

Re: Strykers. I hate Strykers

LoL... I feel your pain as I read this... Nice!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

This is why using armour in AA is a waste of time. You'd probably be better off using 4 brdm's instead of one stryker - Bring back the Bradley!
      Jex.

Comment

yes the stryker is awful but on the plus side if your a really good stryker crew you can take out a t72 with 150 .50 cal bullets also if your pissed off at the armor on tanks being weak then check out this link http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3141 this addon adds a heavy armor t72 and abrams the t72 can take 2-4 abrams rounds to the frontal armor and the abrams can take 4-6 t72 rounds to the frontal armor also the abrams can take many rpgs
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

I feel your pain. I've been on the bad end of the equation in Strykers as well. In my old IHS we used the Stryker almost exclusively when operating as mechanized infantry. We employed the Stryker mostly as a transport and supply vehicle but also used the MK19 GL for suppression and support when prudent. Our SOP's dictated that infantry deployment from the Stryker on footand only when the area was cleared by infantry did the Stryker move up. With proper infantry support use of the Stryker was devastating securing territory in an urban environment. Under no cirumstances did the Stryker move up if the threat of armor was still present. Of course this wasn't fool proof and we did see our share of catastrophes. That said, I think the MK19 GL is a powerful weapon that is underutilized for the most part--no so underutilized by the SLA forces, however.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

agreed in urban combat with proper infantry support but sending in a stryker alone to deal with enemy infantry is suicide. Also the mark 19 is a great weapon and is not used enough it can kill infantry in buildings with ease and clear enemies behind cover easily too I want to see more missions that use mechinized infantry and mark 19 strykers
            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
              sending in a stryker alone to deal with enemy infantry is suicide.

There's the problem and the solution all in one sentence. Don't send the Stryker in without infantry support.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Which, of course, is the whole problem with public play servers and even TG servers when you don't have enough people. On public play you can rarely ever get a gunner, let alone cooperation between infantry and armor. Or infantry and anybody. On TG servers it's sometimes difficult to get enough people together to have an infantry and an armor.

I think another problem, in my case, is that I have too high and expectation of what an APC is supposed to protect you against.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                  Which, of course, is the whole problem with public play servers and even TG servers when you don't have enough people. On public play you can rarely ever get a gunner, let alone cooperation between infantry and armor. Or infantry and anybody. On TG servers it's sometimes difficult to get enough people together to have an infantry and an armor.

I think another problem, in my case, is that I have too high and expectation of what an APC is supposed to protect you against.
                  Let's take a look at what APC stands for. Armored Personnel Carrier. It's not a main battle tank, nor a piece of equipment designed to engage in sustained combat. It's designed to get personnel in and out of battle zones quickly and with acceptable levels of protection. By "acceptable", I don't understand why some blithering git in the Pentagon thought it would be fine to replace the Bradley with the Stryker when the Bradley is still clearly superior in terms of ordnance.
                  Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

That's what I'm saying! APCs are for the birds. I want an IFV, dammit!

Comment

is it just me or does no one actully use an apc as an apc almost no one ever gets in the back of the apc and thats the problem if people just simply got into the apc and when the apc stopped in the target area then they people inside could hop out and give infantry support but no one ever does that
                      |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

What you want is a British Warrior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Warrior incorporates several design features in keeping with UK battlefield experience.

Passenger access is through a single electric ram powered door at the rear of the hull, rather than a drop-down ramp as in the American M113 and M2 Bradley APCs. There are no firing ports in the hull, in line with British thinking that the role of the APC/IFV is to carry troops under protection to the objective and then give firepower support when they have disembarked. Another reason is that it is not possible to fire accurately out of the ports of a moving IFV and access to firing ports would require internal stowage to be moved from behind the seated soldiers in the rear of the vehicle. The absence of firing ports also allows applique armour to be fitted to the sides of the vehicle.

Warrior Section Vehicles are able to carry and support 7 fully-equipped soldiers together with supplies and weapons including a number of anti-tank weapons for a 48-hour battlefield day in nuclear/biological/chemical conditions. The protection against small arms, missiles, RPGs and anti-tank mines was proven during the UN operations in Bosnia. Additional (applique) armour, such as "cage armour" can be fitted.

The Warrior is driven by a Perkins-Rolls-Royce V8 Condor engine through a 4 speed automatic gearbox. It is capable of a road speed of 46 mph (75 km/h) as well as incredible braking power. The fully rotating turret carries a 7.62 mm calibre coaxial chain gun machinegun alongside the conventionally powered RARDEN 30 mm cannon.

All Warrior vehicles are now equipped with BOWMAN radios for enhanced communications command and control. Thales Optronics battle group thermal imaging (BGTI) sights have been added to upgrade the night fighting capability. As of 2007, 350 vehicles were fitted with BGTI.

For more details:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_IFV
                        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

They're replacing the Bradley with the Stryker??? I thought they were just giving them to units that previously relied on vehicles like HMMWV's for transport. If they are that's insane, replacing an IFV with an LAV.
                          "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

I quite like the Stryker. Like Grunt said, it has to be used properly and very carefully. It's great at firing from cover if you coordinate your fire with the assistance of an infantry spotter.

It can be devastating indeed.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

black dog the warrior is pretty much the british version of the bradley and the stryker is great if used properly
                              |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X