Best MBT!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MBT!!!!!

I was just checking some data on the Challenger 2 and it's stats are pretty damn impressive!

70 RPG's in one attack...holy cow! This a god damn tough tank!

Challenger 2 had already been used in peacekeeping missions and exercises before but its first combat use came in March 2003 during the invasion of Iraq. 7 Armoured Brigade, part of 1st Armoured Division, was in action with 120 Challenger 2s around Basrah. The tanks saw extensive use during the siege of Basra, providing fire support to the British forces. The tank's availability was excellent and the problems that were identified during the large Saif Sareea II exercise of eighteen months earlier were solved by the issuing of Urgent Operational Requirements for equipment such as sand filters.

In one encounter within the urban area a Challenger 2 came under attack from irregular forces with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades. The drivers sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the commander's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit directly by eight rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile, and was under heavy small arms fire for hours. The crew survived remaining safe within the tank until the tank was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later after the repairs. One Challenger 2 operating near Basra survived being hit by 70 RPGs in another incident.[8]

There have been only two Challenger 2s damaged in combat and one destroyed:

A friendly fire ("blue-on-blue") incident on 25 March 2003 in Basra in which one Challenger 2 of the Black Watch Battlegroup (2nd Royal Tank Regiment) mistakenly engaged another Challenger 2 of the Queen's Royal Lancers after detecting what was believed to be an enemy flanking manoeuvre on thermal equipment. The attacking tank's second round entered the open commander's hatch of the QRL Tank and detonated internally, destroying the tank and killing two crew members. It remains the only Challenger 2 to be completely destroyed on operations.[9]
    August 2006 - the driver of a Challenger 2, Trooper Sean Chance, lost three of his toes when an RPG-29 penetrated the lower frontal hull armour (which is significantly weaker than that of the turret) during an engagement in al-Amarah, Iraq.[10]
    April 6, 2007 - in Basra, Iraq, an IED shaped charge penetrated the underside of the tank, resulting in the driver losing a leg and causing minor injuries to another soldier[11].
    The BBC quotes a British MoD spokesman as saying Challenger 2 was:

Well armoured but in an operational theatre it's not the case that you can have absolute protection. This was not in any way new technology - the device involved was the same type of shaped charge that we have seen used very regularly. No-one has ever said Challenger tanks are impenetrable. We have always said that a big enough bomb will defeat any armour and any vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenger_2_tank
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Best MBT!!!!!

the four main battle tanks in the world are all very impressive the m1a2abrams,challenger2,leclerc,leopard 2 as for rpgs these tanks can take many rpgs as long as they are not hit in the same place about 4 times the tanks will easily survive the leopard 2 and the m1a2 abrams are however much faster than the leclerc and the challenger 2 both the abrams and challenger have choppom armor but the abrams is more slanted and thicker but all in all todays modern tanks will stand up to almost everything and are very hard to kill
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Well the challenger could have won as best MBT but it wasn't produced in high enough numbers and didn't have the necessary fear factor against enemies. (yeah - what?) Both qualities that I'm really sure the crew would be asking for... "damn this accurate main gun and superb armour, why didn't they just make it more scary and have more of them??"

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mUiZNnEIuwE[/media]
      Jex.

Comment

LOL that was stupid. Tank isnt scary so it's not good enough.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Hmmmmmm sat in enemy armour within 3 miles of one of these puppies.....I think they would be plenty scared enough!!!

Clear best armour and firing system but not enough of them and not "scary" enough to be rated the worlds top tank!

What a load of crap!
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

abrams has better armor theres nearly 10000 of them and the gun is more accurate becuase the computer is better
            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Did you watch the video?

Challenger has better armor and best firing system.

The Gun has set records being able to hit a target the size of a football up to 3 miles away

Challengers armor is some of the best in the world, hell it's so good they don't want anyone else to know how to make it. It's secert

And there has only been 2 damaged and 1 destroyed (which was blue on blue fire)

Compared to the abrams which has had a number destroyed by enemy fire.

The reason there isnt alot of them is cause well number 1 who needs loads when what you got is the best out there.

and 2 The british army isnt about size it's about being the best.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                Did you watch the video?

Challenger has better armor and best firing system.

The Gun has set records being able to hit a target the size of a football up to 3 miles away

Challengers armor is some of the best in the world, hell it's so good they don't want anyone else to know how to make it. It's secert

And there has only been 2 damaged and 1 destroyed (which was blue on blue fire)

Compared to the abrams which has had a number destroyed by enemy fire.

The reason there isnt alot of them is cause well number 1 who needs loads when what you got is the best out there.

and 2 The british army isnt about size it's about being the best.
                Maybe the American military should consider switching to the Challenger 2. The M1A2 may be fast and excellent with APFSDS rounds, but it's not going to last in the 21st Century.

In fact, since Abrams had been developed in the 1980's, I would imagine that it lacks the networking capabilities of a Stryker.

Personally, I say, for the US military, stick with the M1A2 chassis, but use the Challenger 2's gun system. That should provide for a lot of mobility and range accuracy.
                Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NKato View Post
                  In fact, since Abrams had been developed in the 1980's, I would imagine that it lacks the networking capabilities of a Stryker.
                  As I understand, at this time all Abrams have been upgraded for the battle management system

Adapting Adept's statement to the Abrams..

Who needs to hit a football 3 miles away when you have 10000+ tanks.

The Abrams will roll for another 20 years. M1A2's are just updated original M1A1's and the M1A3 will be updated M1A2 and the same tanks that went into service as M1A1's will continue to serve as M1A3's, 4's.. heck.. the next gen MBT will probably be unmanned - maybe an unmanned M1A#?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                    Hmmmmmm sat in enemy armour within 3 miles of one of these puppies.....I think they would be plenty scared enough!!!

Clear best armour and firing system but not enough of them and not "scary" enough to be rated the worlds top tank!

What a load of crap!
                    Going by numbers alone, the F22 Raptor must be a complete POS and the japanese zero can kick its arse :icon_eek:

Oh and imagine 10,000 tanks being able to hit a football from 3 miles lol
                    Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                      Oh and imagine 10,000 tanks being able to hit a football from 3 miles lol
                      That'd be one messed up pigskin.. :D
                      sigpic

Comment

well PLs dont use stupid arguments repeating number like "well we dont need to be good we just have loads of worse ones so call ourselves better" tbh I like the challenger because I like in the uk . I'm assuming your in the us so will naturally support your millitary, as it should be IMHO. But if we are discussing which is better dont say who has more
                        |TG-XV|CryWolf

Thanks for the sig Bandaid (look at how well made my avatar is!)

Comment

Whatever dude.. I like all things shiny and new - Including the Challenger

The adapted comment
                          Who needs to hit a football 3 miles away when you have 10000+ tanks.
                          Is just a humorous dig at the shear number of M1A2's in the field.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeh sorry mate I did take it too seriously on second thought
                            I have a tendency to be a jackass at the moment
                            |TG-XV|CryWolf

Thanks for the sig Bandaid (look at how well made my avatar is!)

Comment

Cool.. no worries.. ;)
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed