The MRAPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MRAPs

Well, we've got over 7,000 of these suckers running around in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're top-heavy, meaning they're about five times as prone to rollovers as your average 1990 Ford Explorer. They're nine tons and up. They can ford water up to a meter high, maybe more. Mine-Resistant, Ambush Protected (MRAP). They've been through countless ambushes and survived largely intact. Some MRAPs come equipped with sirens for leading convoys through heavy traffic. They typically come with at least one turret.

Do you think we should have them in ArmA 2 (or if possible Arma1 by way of modding), and should the explosion dynamics in the game be altered by Bohemia Interactive so that it properly reflects the safety nature of the MRAPs?

ArmA uses a hitpoint system, as well as a localized damage hitpoint system (such as those for vehicles and infantry) from what I can see in gameplay. If we were to see MRAPs in ArmA as the engine is now, the armor on the bottom of the vehicle would have to be insanely strong to be able to resist the damage of multiple satchel charges - probably three to four satchel charges at best.

Let's discuss opinions about the feasibility of MRAPs in the military, in general combat ops, and for possible application to ArmA (or OFP2, if they come with 'em). I'm interested in knowing your thoughts about these vehicles. They could come in handy in insurgency simulations. :)

-NK
    Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Re: The MRAPs

do you have a picture or link about what you ar talking about
    sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

These beasts; [media]http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/2224/GR_PR_071112mrap.png[/media]

Do think they should be in ArmA though, would probably somewhat easy to get someone good to create one, armaholic has a bunch of vehicles you can download and put in for the editor and anything else, these would definitely get a good play usage in desert missions.

And to show the scale of these things: [media]http://www.qando.net/uploads/images/mrap-gatesx-large.jpg[/media]
      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Well they sure look cool when Marines ghost ride them [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXl3Pdxrn-k[/media] :-D

And I hope they get implemented in Arma 2
        "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

Originally posted by Jaman View Post
          Well they sure look cool when Marines ghost ride them [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXl3Pdxrn-k[/media] :-D

And I hope they get implemented in Arma 2

And they sure know how to have fun.
          Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

Marines gotta be the guys with the most character hands down.
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that every vehicle that can possibly be shoehorned into ARMA should be, and that the armor should be calculated based on the relative direction and force of impact, armor thickness at the location, presence or absence of fuel, munitions, and so on.

I want to see a system where a truck could hit a mine, lose it's front right tire and have the engine torn away from the chassis, the truck thrown over on it's back, the driver killed, passenger wounded, but all other passengers surviving dazed or lightly wounded, possibly ejected from the vehicle.

Or

A tank get's hit with an RPG, looses a track, but is otherwise fine and dandy.

Or

The same tank gets hit, the ammo cooks off, and the turret is blown out of the body.

Or

the tank gets hit and the shell goes right through the armor and kills the crew without doing much apparent damage to the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post

The same tank gets hit, the ammo cooks off, and the turret is blown out of the body.

Or

the tank gets hit and the shell goes right through the armor and kills the crew without doing much apparent damage to the exterior.
                The tanks have blowout panels for the ammo now, the jack-in-the-box effect only applies to older-era tanks.

Comment

Yea I have seen a T72 get hit by abrams and continuously blow up for about 15 seconds straight, neat to see a game put that in and the vehicles can be damaged in certain areas and have the effect done cause their turret to stop working or one side of the tracks partially stop working causing the vehicle to spin in circles...

ArmA is still probably the best game with all this out there, where you can light up a Helicopters back blades and it'll start becoming uncontrollable but still flying or you can damage a fuselage and the plane will rapidly loose fuel resulting in RTB immediately or even ejecting/emergency landing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X