Lack of SAMs in ArmA and real life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of SAMs in ArmA and real life

We have them as stationary turrets, sure. I just have issues with the lack of a mobile SAM vehicle for both USMC and the SLA, especially when you want to have it protect a vital convoy in a game like Warfare.

We've seen addons incorporating SAMs to ArmA, sure, but I'm wondering why in real-life that we seem to have a distinct lack of serious anti-air vehicular equipment available in the American military?

Of course, this doesn't count the Stinger which is a man-portable anti-air weapon.
    Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Re: Lack of SAMs in ArmA and real life

We have the Chaparral, hawks, avengers, patriots,ect. However, due to a recent pentagon report we have been phasing out the older Vulcan based systems in favor of missile based systems due to soviet ATGMs BVR capability and the Vulcan's limited range.

Why you don't hear about them? They are essentially useless against the insurgency threat we are currently facing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
      We have the Chaparral, hawks, avengers, patriots,ect. However, due to a recent pentagon report we have been phasing out the older Vulcan based systems in favor of missile based systems due to soviet ATGMs BVR capability and the Vulcan's limited range.

Why you don't hear about them? They are essentially useless against the insurgency threat we are currently facing in Iraq and Afghanistan.
      Pretty much, BWAHAHAHA! God, I'm going to laugh so hard the day an insurgent tries to fly a fighter jet.

Edit: I just realized one possible reason why Hussein had all of his Air Force's jets disassembled or buried - to prevent insurgents from getting their hands on them, or to prevent Iran from getting them.
      Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

Yet unfortunately, Iran is where most of the Iraqi Air Force buggered off too when they knew they didnt have a hope in hell in the sky over either Kuwait or Iraq.
        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
          Yet unfortunately, Iran is where most of the Iraqi Air Force buggered off too when they knew they didnt have a hope in hell in the sky over either Kuwait or Iraq.
          In Operation Desert Storm, yeah, the first Gulf War.

Comment

The Iraqi Air force refused to go into the air because they were so outdated with their planes, and I thought they had all the planes hidden or decommisioned to avoid getting bombed?

Anyways their are mods/vehicles you can dl to get AAVs in arma besides the shilka and the M103 or w\e the name is.
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

If I remember right Strykers and Bradleys can be modified to serve as mobile AA.
              "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

My new favourite set of scripts .. makes any player wanting to fly behave less gung-ho (maybe not ... but they die quicker). Mando missles.

Mobile SAM video here: [media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2zZ3XdFrpuM[/media]

Pretty nifty.

Comment

There is a mod for an Soviet intermediate range AA piece. I think it's an sa-7 Gainful? bloody useless, though. No radar screen. Mando seems to be the way to go.

Comment

Can't say I like the amount of infinite missiles that came from that BRDM though, and was anyone else pissed off when the 1.14 patch came out and air planes/helos still didnt have flares?
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Yeah .. the amount of missles seemed off, but I think that was more for demonstration purposes. Hopefully there is a way to configure that, I haven't really looked into it though ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                        Can't say I like the amount of infinite missiles that came from that BRDM though, and was anyone else pissed off when the 1.14 patch came out and air planes/helos still didnt have flares?
                        If you honestly expect to see a major gameplay feature like that be added in a patch, you're going to constantly set yourself up for disappointment.

Comment

Well they said it was going to be the last patch didnt they? And how much time have they have to fix everything up? I'm still being randomly blown up with no shilkas or enemy air in the area when I go on killing sprees in a GBU harrier, I'll drop all my bombs on targets, take out the enemy air with the MG and just blow up with no missile incoming notice or anything,

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                            Well they said it was going to be the last patch didnt they? And how much time have they have to fix everything up? I'm still being randomly blown up with no shilkas or enemy air in the area when I go on killing sprees in a GBU harrier, I'll drop all my bombs on targets, take out the enemy air with the MG and just blow up with no missile incoming notice or anything,
                            You missed my point. A developer like BIS, of their size, is not going to add a major gameplay feature at that late stage of the product's life. It's unrealistic to expect that, so if you do seriously expect it, you will set yourself up for disappointment.

Comment

Alright you basiclly repeated previous post and I'm understanding what you said and that probably was one of their thoughts as they released the patch but I'm still saying that ArmA is supposed to be a simulator putting in as much realism as it can, and having air assets entirely defenseless against enemy missiles is just unrealistic.. It's apart of gameplay in ArmA to have pilots just eject when they see a missile was launched at them but I'm saying it shouldnt be that way and in my mind they should've chosen to fix that rather than saying it would mess up the way the game is currently being played.

And with the jets exploding over allied territory with no enemy air/AA support in sight or even within KMs I guess is somewhat unexceptable that they just let that keep on going on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X