TG Domination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Domination

Over the past few nights when people have been playing domination, we have been setting out rules etc. No NVGs only one rocket only 1 gun. Well it got me to thinking why don't we just make a domination map with these rules already in place. This also means we can have complete control over the game and play it the way we want to play at TG. All we need to someone who can make missions for ArmA. So I'd like to start of by placing some Ideas I had for TG Domination.

* Only one Rifle no more backpack.
    * Only one AT round per person.
    * Remove the ammo crates for Blackhawks and Drop options.
    * Admin option to Remove Paradrop and MHQ
    * More forms of basic transport already at base. MH6, HMMWV etc
    * Remove the pointless helo attacks at base
    * Mando missles or a revive script version.
    * Better spawning of AI. So it's not just a load of Inf and tanks dumped on the map. Make them patrol, scout, guard parts more than other etc.
    * Fix the Wreck Lifting and Service areas.

Post other ideas for this and hopefully someone out there has skill with missions and can make this.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Re: TG Domination

I'm completely in favor of modifying Domination in many of these ways listed, however I would be very careful about modifying the transport options. Taking away teleports and paradrops seems like a good idea, but in the end it may contribute to vehicle abuse. Yes, the transport vehicles quickly respawn after destruction, but this to me is more unrealistic than simply allowing the option of paradrops in the first place. Furthermore, if there are only 6 players on, they can ill afford a dedicated pilot to bring in reinforcements. The paradrop solves this problem by essentially providing a permanent transport pilot from which to airdrop from.

Also, I agree the attacks on bluefor base are ridiculous, but on the other hand they do add some realism to the game. Perhaps adding base AI to defend would be more accurate than simply removing them. I personally like the opportunity to down enemy air assets and repair them as we did last night.

As far as support crates, I would keep them. Why shouldn't a chopper be able to drop supplies for troops on the ground? Having to load vehicles is time consuming and often wasted when the vehicle is destroyed, leaving troops in the field unable to defeat whatever took it down.

Lastly, one thing that was mentioned last night - the flares need to last a lot longer. 20s is not realistic. They should be 1-2 minutes or more.

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
      * Better spawning of AI. So it's not just a load of Inf and tanks dumped on the map. Make them patrol, scout, guard parts more than other etc.
      * No NVGs, use flares instead
      * Only Medics have the ability to revive
      * If you get killed during a mission and respawn at base (if a revive is not possible) sit out until the mission is over (what you guys think? We haven't had the chance to try this out yet because well....nobody died on the field yet)
      * We need to improve our commo system: PlCo/Fireteam leaders/Pilots should the the only ones having access to Side Channel. Regular troops should only be talking using Direct comms. This should be like that when we're briefing for the mission and we're on the field itself...when its break time at base you speak in whichever channel you want.

Thats all I have in my mind so far.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
      The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
        I'm completely in favor of modifying Domination in many of these ways listed, however I would be very careful about modifying the transport options. Taking away teleports and paradrops seems like a good idea, but in the end it may contribute to vehicle abuse. Yes, the transport vehicles quickly respawn after destruction, but this to me is more unrealistic than simply allowing the option of paradrops in the first place. Furthermore, if there are only 6 players on, they can ill afford a dedicated pilot to bring in reinforcements. The paradrop solves this problem by essentially providing a permanent transport pilot from which to airdrop from.

Also, I agree the attacks on bluefor base are ridiculous, but on the other hand they do add some realism to the game. Perhaps adding base AI to defend would be more accurate than simply removing them. I personally like the opportunity to down enemy air assets and repair them as we did last night.

As far as support crates, I would keep them. Why shouldn't a chopper be able to drop supplies for troops on the ground? Having to load vehicles is time consuming and often wasted when the vehicle is destroyed, leaving troops in the field unable to defeat whatever took it down.

Lastly, one thing that was mentioned last night - the flares need to last a lot longer. 20s is not realistic. They should be 1-2 minutes or more.

I agree with all your saying. For small group this version of Domination would be stupid but these options are for a more "hardcore" version of Domination, for when we have enough people on and want a bit more of a harder chanellge. Normal Domanition would still be on the sever

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity

Comment

Good point, I suggest we remove the respawn of the transportation assets, I remember in Evo about a year ago on the TG servers if we couldn't 'afford' a dedicated transport pilot we simply drove, so the addition of some hummers to the start would be provide a good alternative as well.

I agree night operations without NVGs can be quite immersive but we all don't have the same brightness settings so perhaps leave NVGs in but make the choice to use them on the individual or fireteam level.

Also I would suggest we start playing in Veteran mode, it makes the player much more aware of their surroundings, makes close formations more important and self-enforces communications protocol.

Remove those silly map markers, although I'm sure the military uses blue force tracking I don't think every solider has a transmitter or receiver.

I think the revive/respawn system does need some sort of overhaul, I would be in favor of having medic only revive and you had to wait the full 200-300 seconds before you even had the option to respawn. Also maybe you would be revived in a wounded state, with broken arms and broken legs.

I also think we should remove the point and click BF2 style artillery in favor of something like this: http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?m=single&id=3522

Comment

Only problem with the artillery is that it needs manned, and people might not want to sit at base counting numbers

Comment

I guess it really depends on how "hardcore" you want to get with the mission.

Myself, I would like to go hardest of the hardcore .. but I know many people would disagree. So read my suggestions with that in mind. Here they are:

- Script that limits one M136 round to the players inventory, once a M136 has been fired, the launcher is dropped and deleted

- Removal of the MHQ and Paradrop options

- Removal of all respawning vehicles, no vehicle rewards

- Increase in the number of available vehicles
              - 6 x UH-60, 2 x MG, 4 x FFAR
              - 12 x HMWV, 5 x MG, 5 x GL, 2 x TOW
              - 8 x 5 Ton transport, all MG
              - 12 x 5 Ton service, 4 x Ammo, 4 x Fuel, 4 x Repair
              - 2 x Cobra gunship
              - 1 x Harrier GBU

- Every 24 (twenty-four) hours, vehicle delivery to main base, up to maximums
              - 1 x UH-60, FFARs first, then MG
              - 5 x HMWV, MG first, then GL, then TOW
              - 2 x 5 Ton transport
              - 2 x 5 Ton service, Repair first, then ammo, then fuel
              - 1 x Cobra
              - 1 x Harrier GBU

- Successive mission assignment, you go in an order similar to evo, however only one active objective at a time

- Mando missiles suite enabled, SAM sites covering the island, they do not respawn

- Merge of primary and secondary missions, make each mission area contain multiple objectives that must all be completed to move on, specific objectives are a combination of static and random objectives

- Proper Platoon structure, with room for vehicle support
              - 3 x 8-player rifle sections (2 LMGs, 1 GL, 1 AT, 1IC, 2IC)
              - 1 x 4-player Platoon HQ, (1 PL, 2 Medics, 1 Engineer)
              - 1 x 2-player Transport Helo squad
              - 1 x 2-player Gunship Helo squad
              - 1 x 6-player MBT squad
              - 1 x 4-player APC/IFV squad
              - 1 x 1-player CAS squad
              - 1 x 2-player Sniper/spotter team
              - 2 x 2-player weapons team (M240B, Javelin)

- Equipment limiting system, only players in the respective groups can operate their equipment (transport helo squad = transport helos, MBT squad = tanks, sniper/spotter team = sniper rifles, etc.)

- Removal of engineer capability to repair vehicles

- Addition of enemy minefields (APERS and AT)

- Lock all offensive enemy vehicles (BMPs, T72s, UAZs, etc.), leave transport unlocked, lock service vehicles (Ammo, Fuel, Repair)

- Each mission area would have its own briefing, and its own challenges (armour, infantry, air, combination)

- Removal of spawnable ammo crates, calling ammo crates/vehicles/AT guns

- Limiting fire missions, every 1 (one) hour, your firemissions are refreshed
              - 3 HE
              - 3 DPICM
              - 5 Flare
              - 5 Smoke

- Limited quantities of ammunition, every 3 (three) hours, the main base will be fully resupplied with ammunition, possibly via AI chopper
              - 300 Stanag mags (30 extra SD)
              - 50 M249 box mags
              - 100 M240 box mags
              - 100 M67 grenades
              - 100 smoke grenades (60 white, 20 red, 20 green)
              - 20 M136 AT weapons (1 round each)
              - 10 Javelins
              - 20 M24 mags
              - 50 M9 mags (10 extra SD)
              - 100 flares (70 white, 10 red, 10 yellow, 10 green)
              - 2 Stingers

- All players spawn with Binoculars, Primary/secondary weapons, 1 magazine of ammuntion for Primary weapon (except for first spawn on mission start, full load then)

- NVGs available to Sniper/spotter team, vehicle crews

- Removal of enemy special forces attack on player base

- Serious reduction in enemy amount, no larger than 3 platoons (includes any armour)

- No revive, 30 second respawn back to main

- Dynamic group assignment (team status dialog), upon a player's death, they are removed from the group

- Removal of player markers, vehicle markers

- Add some statics for briefing/debriefing, ammuntion/vehicle storage

- Respawn point relocated to military base near Parasio airport, land assets/ammunition located there, air assets located on the airstrip

- Removal of fog banks, rain banks, change weather over the whole island, weather changes take between 10-30 minutes, last for between 2-8 hours, severity can increase/decrease during that time

- Enemy spawned at objectives are to be given patrol points, they will disengage if drawn too far from objective, they will alert other units of any spotted players, there will be AI quick reaction forces that will actively attack spotted players, depending on mission area/availability, the AI may call for artillery (HE, DPICM, Flare, Smoke), helo CAS, jet CAS, paratroop reinforcement

- Enemy will not have an unlimited amount of forces and material, limited paratroop reinforcements, limited helos, limited jets, time limited arty
              - 1-3 paratroop reinforcements per mission area, size depends on mission area
              - 4-12 attack helos, depending on length of campaign selected
              - 2-6 jets, depending on length of campaign selected

- Enemy AAA/SAM systems will respawn if they are not in the current mission area, if in the current mission area, they will not respawn, respawn in non-current mission area is set at 30 minutes

Can ya tell I was thinking about designing a "campaign" style mission?

This is far from an exhaustive list, there are many more "features" that aren't listed ... mostly because I haven't thought of them yet :P .

Comment

I see I was a little late with my reply ... well it was a long one so ..

I also think we should remove the point and click BF2 style artillery
                Completely forgot about that ... I agree a more robust system is needed, perhaps not one with players manning it, but one where the shells actually travel is needed.

I agree night operations without NVGs can be quite immersive but we all don't have the same brightness settings so perhaps leave NVGs in but make the choice to use them on the individual or fireteam level.
                This is a very difficult topic and my answer to it is this: This is the hardcore version. Attempt to configure your monitor to be able to see in the dark, if you can't consider a position where you have access to NVGs (vehicle crew, sniper/spotter).

(what you guys think? We haven't had the chance to try this out yet because well....nobody died on the field yet)
                While I like the idea of a revive system, I think it seriously cheapens the players life. Until a revive system is created that is more complex than "I can always revive you", I think it is best to avoid it. Casualties happen, if you want a truly immersive experience, FORCING players to deal with it, and assign new leaders, reform teams, etc. will really show how far we have come ... and how far we still have to go.

Also I would suggest we start playing in Veteran mode
                To be honest, if you are going through the trouble to make a "hardcore" mission, Veteran mode is a given. Otherwise, simple game mechanics like not knowing where you are 'cause you can't read a map are ruined, there is much less need for planning/coordianted movement as you all know where you are all the time and can "tactical gaggle" your way to the objective area.

I agree, when screwing around with player transport, dangerous things can happen. But, the answer is simple. It is a hardcore version. DO NOT consider it, unless the WHOLE server is willing to TAKE THEIR TIME in organizing a game, planning a mission, and following the mission plan as best as can be done.

I am a big fan of slapping players in the face with reality.

Want to use you vehicles like disposable cellphones (woo!)? Well, whaddya know, you don't have any transport anymore! You have to wait until more is delivered, or get it together and GO GET IT BACK! I am sick of players making plans that effectively strand hardware in the sticks. What do you plan on using for the next mission, I ask.

Respawning vehicles are a crutch, going "hardcore" is getting rid of crutches. For a longer campaign, yes you are going to NEED more vehicles as ^$*# happens and they get disabled/destroyed, but you can't go losing 3/4 of your vehicles on one mission ... don't expect to complete them all like this.

Also, I agree the attacks on bluefor base are ridiculous, but on the other hand they do add some realism to the game. Perhaps adding base AI to defend would be more accurate than simply removing them.
                Yes, enemy base attacks are realistic .. but lets face it, ArmA is a CPU-intensive game. Placing extra AI that will simply sit and and shoot AI that lands stupidly on your runway is a waste of resources. In reality, your base would be well-secured, FAR more AI than would be feasible without having a serious impact on the mission's performance.

That is my reasoning for removing it.

I personally like the opportunity to down enemy air assets and repair them as we did last night.
                Requiring the use of enemy assets to reasonable complete your mission is simply bad mission design. It will SERIOUSLY unbalance a properly designed mission if you can get around your vehicle restrictions by simply repairing those 4 tanks the crew hopped out of 'cause there was a scratch on 'em. That behaviour is difficult to modify, allowing players to use enemy vehicles is not.

Yes, a chopper can drop ammo for troops. How? Load it up with ammo, and take it to the troops. Yes, loading it is time consuming, but that is what seperates a "hardcore" mission from a regular mission. If you barrel head first into a mission with no planning, expect to get completely overwhelmed.

Why not get the squaddies to load ammo while the SL/FTLs talk about the mission? Not everyone needs to hear all of the briefing, you can have a MUCH quicker debate with 4 people than with 14.

And as for the time being "wasted" when a vehicle is destroyed ... if THAT is your biggest concern in the mission, then the mission is obviously making you not value your transport AT ALL. Losing a chopper should be a serious problem, so you will plan your LZs so that you minimize the chance of them getting damaged/destroyed. No more landing on the sides of a mountain, or within 300m of your objective. If you lose that chopper, you might not have another one.

It would be nice (I checked on wikipedia, 40 seconds is the length of an M203 starshell), but this is something that has to be changed in a mod.

Comment

Completely forgot about that ... I agree a more robust system is needed, perhaps not one with players manning it, but one where the shells actually travel is needed.
                  I think a fair compromise of reality and game play would be to have a single player control a small group of 3-7 guns. And to limit the strain and boredom of having to sit back and calculate numbers maybe the artillery operator could be switched out for front line duty after each mission. In my experience at TG there is never a lack of players to take support roles.

While I like the idea of a revive system, I think it seriously cheapens the players life. Until a revive system is created that is more complex than "I can always revive you", I think it is best to avoid it. Casualties happen, if you want a truly immersive experience, FORCING players to deal with it, and assign new leaders, reform teams, etc. will really show how far we have come ... and how far we still have to go.
                  I agree that the current revive domination is a bit easy allowing everyone to revive, but what if medics only could revive a player, but they were still in an extremely injured state once revived, and the medic could not heal. Therefore the player would have to be evacuated via air or land to a MASH at the air base.

To be honest, if you are going through the trouble to make a "hardcore" mission, Veteran mode is a given. Otherwise, simple game mechanics like not knowing where you are 'cause you can't read a map are ruined, there is much less need for planning/coordianted movement as you all know where you are all the time and can "tactical gaggle" your way to the objective area.
                  I always assumed Vet mode would be the primary mode at TG, in fact I've been a tad disappointed we have not played more missions in Vet mode.

Comment

We can try whatever you guys like. But some of what you all are asking is going to be a real pain to try and attempt to do to with this mission. Some of you all really need to dig into these files and see how much work it really is for certian things. On top of all that, the new version should be out any time than we can address some of the major changes after.

As for some of the below ones....

That is easy if people want it. But I have a feeling that is going to be a contentious issue.

That one can be done with ease

I have to really look into that one. I do not know how it is scripted.

Won't happen without a serious rewrite to some scripting.

Can be done, but will take time

Can turn off

Mando is broke, plain and simple

It is manageged by a pretty complex set of scripting that would probably dork up the whole thing.

Xeno addressed in the upcoming version

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                    That can be controlled with the restrictions in the boxes, may be some issues with initial loadouts when you join, I will have to play with it.

This might really hurt the team if there are only one or two players ingame. I would hesitate to do that one..

* If you get killed during a mission and respawn at base (if a revive is not possible) sit out until the mission is over (what you guys think? We haven't had the chance to try this out yet because well....nobody died on the field yet)
                    Great for CoOp, but not domination that may run for a week. It would royally suck to be waiting around days....

* We need to improve our commo system: PlCo/Fireteam leaders/Pilots should the the only ones having access to Side Channel. Regular troops should only be talking using Direct comms. This should be like that when we're briefing for the mission and we're on the field itself...when its break time at base you speak in whichever channel you want.
                    There is some of this already implemented in the Team Status option. Breakdowns beyond that are going to really be a mess. I this it being overall addressed in the new version though.

As for Veteran mode, that is a simple option. The only issue I see with it is, you will really discourage newer players from joining. We experienced this effect where no one would join due to Veteran Mode being turned on. However, it would be perfect if we could organize on a Sunday or other day where it is run for a limited time.
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I'm not saying these are bad ideas at all, but just keep in mind that it's smart to strike a balance when you're dealing with public servers or else you'll back right into an isolated corner. I like Domination in its current form because it generally strikes a good balance - yes there are always improvements, but overall I've found it quite playable. Tweak it too much and you'll lose that balance - and players with it.

Just ask yourself which of these options you'd like to keep as options and which you'd like to harden into the game. Prioritize it and then try only the most important changes. For example, do you really need to disable ammo crates or can you just forgo them on a mission-by-mission basis? I personally would not want to lead a squad without player markers - nor a good number of the other changes being floated here.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post

- Removal of all respawning vehicles, no vehicle rewards

- Increase in the number of available vehicles
                        - 6 x UH-60, 2 x MG, 4 x FFAR
                        - 12 x HMWV, 5 x MG, 5 x GL, 2 x TOW
                        - 8 x 5 Ton transport, all MG
                        - 12 x 5 Ton service, 4 x Ammo, 4 x Fuel, 4 x Repair
                        - 2 x Cobra gunship
                        - 1 x Harrier GBU

- Every 24 (twenty-four) hours, vehicle delivery to main base, up to maximums
                        - 1 x UH-60, FFARs first, then MG
                        - 5 x HMWV, MG first, then GL, then TOW
                        - 2 x 5 Ton transport
                        - 2 x 5 Ton service, Repair first, then ammo, then fuel
                        - 1 x Cobra
                        - 1 x Harrier GBU
                        Don't like this idea, The game might not be running for more than a day so vechiles might not get respawned and if one guy has come online and acted like a ass destroying or disabling the vechices leaves the team at a major disadvantage. Basic transport should respawn faster than every 24 hours, Maybe every hour for HMMWV 2 hours for a Blackhawk. Also Removing the rewards removes the point in side missions.

- Removal of engineer capability to repair vehicles
                        I don't think we should remove the capabilty to repair vehicles in the field. just make it harder, To repair requires a repair truck near by etc

- No revive, 30 second respawn back to main
                        I like the revive option, altough it needs changed, maybe something like medics can only stop the timer for death, but the injured needs to return to base to be healed to full health again. Dieing also adds extra time unto the timer so people don't just choice to respawn instead of wating to be healed.

- Removal of fog banks, rain banks, change weather over the whole island, weather changes take between 10-30 minutes, last for between 2-8 hours, severity can increase/decrease during that time
                        Great Idea

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                          The only issue I see with it is, you will really discourage newer players from joining. We experienced this effect where no one would join due to Veteran Mode being turned on. However, it would be perfect if we could organize on a Sunday or other day where it is run for a limited time.

The whole point of this is not a Domination we would run instead of the Domination thats already on the server but something if say we had 20 people on and we wanted more realism/harder modes we could start up.

Comment

The whole point of this is not a Domination we would run instead of the Domination thats already on the server but something if say we had 20 people on and we wanted more realism/harder modes we could start up.
                            That's definitely a point worth clarifying. 'Domination co-op mode' instead of 'continuous support' mode.

I do think there are a few changes we might want to work in to the 'continuous' mode, though.

Comment

Don't like this idea, The game might not be running for more than a day so vechiles might not get respawned and if one guy has come online and acted like a ass destroying or disabling the vechices leaves the team at a major disadvantage. Basic transport should respawn faster than every 24 hours, Maybe every hour for HMMWV 2 hours for a Blackhawk.
                              I forgot to mention, that the times are just numbers I quickly made up, same with the number of vehicles.

But overall, I am more interested in impressing on the players that you have a LIMITED amount of assets, so DON'T waste them. If you lose a chopper to a bad LZ, either think long and hard about the next one, or simply drive.

As for one person coming in and ruining all the vehicles, it happens, restart the mission to start "fresh".

I don't think we should remove the capabilty to repair vehicles in the field. just make it harder, To repair requires a repair truck near by etc
                              I said nothing of removing the capability of repairing vehicles in the field, a repair truck does that already. What I do not like is an engineer can walk up to a tank that has been hit by a LOT of stuff and wave his hands over it and it is good to go.

I think engineers only being able to repair vehicles is not as important as having the supplies to repair them on hand, ie: a repair truck.

I like the revive option, altough it needs changed, maybe something like medics can only stop the timer for death, but the injured needs to return to base to be healed to full health again. Dieing also adds extra time unto the timer so people don't just choice to respawn instead of wating to be healed.
                              I agree, I too like the revive option.

But currently, it dilutes the gameplay too much, death is a rare occurance as you can be revived from a shot to leg or from a GBU to the head. It makes no difference.

If a more robust revive system is created, I will be all for it.

Also Removing the rewards removes the point in side missions.
                              I guess this wasn't made to clear in my post.

I want the "side missions" and "main missions" to be one in the same.

For example, your first "mission" in the campaign is to clear the area around Parasio and Somato. You have reports of enemy SAM/AAA sites in the area as well as light infantry and motorized patrols. Now, since there a SAMs so close to base, taking off in a chopper is suicidal. Your "side mission" for this "main mission" is to find and eliminate all the enemy SAM/AAA sites. Futhermore, you need to clear Parisio as there might be some troops hiding in the area. Finally, you need to make an assault on Somato to proceed to the next mission.

Now, some of these elements could be random, sometimes you will have foot patrols, some times motor patrols, sometimes both. Sometimes there will be SAM/AAA sites, sometimes not. Other objectives might come into play, say a convoy moving from Cayo to Paraisio that you have to destroy.

Basically, I want to make the mission less random, and more about clearing mission areas, but the actual objectives in the area are indeed random.

I agree that the current revive domination is a bit easy allowing everyone to revive, but what if medics only could revive a player, but they were still in an extremely injured state once revived, and the medic could not heal. Therefore the player would have to be evacuated via air or land to a MASH at the air base.
                              I would agree completely if that was possible.

Currently, you can't make it so the medic is unable to heal someone without gratuitous amounts of strange scripting.

What WOULD be possible is to have a different class (actual BIS Config class here) do the reviving, say OfficerW, or SoldierWMiner. However, medics would have to be removed, and the only option would be to get healed at a MASH/MASH vehicle.

I can look into negating a medic's heal, but it may not be possible to be done simply.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X