An alternative to Vet mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to Vet mode

Why don't we leave it on Cadet but turn off the stuff we don't want. If you go to your options - difficulty you can see that you can mirror the Vet settings precisely.

This way we can leave names on, turn map markers off, plus disable ai reporting and x-hairs too if we want. It's configurable far more than vet settings.
    Jex.

Re: An alternative to Vet mode

Combine those settings with TrueMods and ArmA has a whole new feel. That is part of the reason I rarely play on the no mod server, I like the reduced HUD and Menu items the less accurate cross hair.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
      Why don't we leave it on Cadet but turn off the stuff we don't want. If you go to your options - difficulty you can see that you can mirror the Vet settings precisely.

This way we can leave names on, turn map markers off, plus disable ai reporting and x-hairs too if we want. It's configurable far more than vet settings.
      I was just about to write the same thing in the domination thread. It can all be done just like you said, we get all the good things of the vet mode and dont lose some off the cadet mode :row__685:
      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

I don't want to loose the name tags either. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand them and don't think you need them with smaller groups where you play regularly with people but on an open server where you can't tell who people are it is a necessity. You cannot shout out a warning and with a lack of people willing to take even a Fire Team Leader role, it becomes completely unworkable.
        Jex.

Comment

Yeah easier to see who is who. Had that problem in RO would be like "Hey you in the corner there is a guy with an smg outside your window. Well there are lots of buildings and lots of corners.
          "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

What do you want to be disabled for "Vet mode"?

Personally, this would be my list.

Info on the flags here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Armor=0;
            FriendlyTag=0;
            EnemyTag=0;
            HUD=0;
            HUDPerm=0;
            HUDWp=0;
            HUDWpPerm=0;
            AutoAim=0;
            AutoGuideAT=0;
            3rdPersonView=0;
            ClockIndicator=0;
            Map=0;
            Tracers=0;
            AutoSpot=0;
            UltraAI=0;
            DeathMessages=0;
            NetStats=0;
            VonID=1;

Basically, everything off except hiding the ID of who is speaking on VON.

Why no tags? Note: FriendlyTag=1; // Displays information on friendly units. ONLY WORKS WITH 'Weaponcursor=0', eg crosshair on.

So, if you want tags, you need crosshairs.

I could live with crosshairs and tags, as long as everything else was off.

Will this happen? I highly doubt it.

So why would you make Cadet (easy mode) just as hard a Veteran? Why not simply turn on the VonID flag in Veteran?

Comment

I don't understand why we want tags for VON, people should be using correct communications protocol and stating who they are and who they are broadcasting to adjacent to their message anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by beta View Post
                I could live with crosshairs and tags, as long as everything else was off.

Will this happen? I highly doubt it.

So why would you make Cadet (easy mode) just as hard a Veteran? Why not simply turn on the VonID flag in Veteran?
                As stated before by Jex, tags really bring less confusion to the game. And the cross-hair, is really useful in the vehicles (like the Black Hawk, how would you aim the FFAR?) that don't have a iron sight.

Originally posted by Sam
                I don't understand why we want tags for VON, people should be using correct communications protocol and stating who they are and who they are broadcasting to adjacent to their message anyways.
                Personally I like to know who is talking and in what channel, otherwise I get to confuse since I really cant ditinguish who is who, where and why..... :row__536:
                sigpic

Comment

Because in Vet mode you don't get tags and as I listed above, that is one of the main reasons people don't like vet mode. As for VON id, I can't think of a reason why it should really be off.
                  Jex.

Comment

Fair enough, tags are important to lessen confusion.

But what about everything else? Would you still like to play without waypoint markers, seeing yourself on the map, seeing enemies on the map, third person, etc.?

I would think most people would be hesitant to give it up since everyone is used to it. People get lost without NAMES of people on the map (a la Domination) let alone not being able to see ANYTHING on the map.

Am I to understand that the only thing that scares people away from Veteran mode is the lack of tags?

Comment

Personally I would want tracer fire, that is perfectly acceptable as it is in the real world.

My options would be as follows:
                      Armor=1;
                      FriendlyTag=1;
                      EnemyTag=0;
                      HUD=0;
                      HUDPerm=0;
                      HUDWp=0;
                      HUDWpPerm=0;
                      AutoAim=0;
                      AutoGuideAT=0;
                      3rdPersonView=0;
                      ClockIndicator=0;
                      Map=1;
                      Tracers=1;
                      AutoSpot=0;
                      UltraAI=0;
                      DeathMessages=0; (what is this?)
                      NetStats=0;
                      VonID=1;

Yes I guess we could turn everything off, but I do like some of the "Game" elements, sometimes I just want to play a good game I dont want it to be a hard simulation everytime I go on the server.

Personally I would keep really tough missions for when we have a private game.
                      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I belive death messages or for people getting killed like JRCOBRA was killed or JRCOBRA killed somebody stuff like that for example.
                        "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                          Personally I would want tracer fire, that is perfectly acceptable as it is in the real world.
                          I agree, good point on the tracers Black dog. I would take off the Map option (I really don't need to know where the others are on the map) from that settings.
                          sigpic

Comment

That was my point.

People don't always want a hardcore simulation.

So, if you make Cadet into the hardcore simulation mode, you will have some upset players. Those that want the hardcore simulation will just have to live without tags.

I think it is fine as it is really ...

Comment

I like being able to mark up the map and being able to see where friendlies are at a glance. It's very easy to become separated from your group at night, and rallying up with them can be very difficult when you have no familiar terrain and you can't shout them in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X