Good idea fairies....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea fairies....

Ok, I want to point something out to you guys about mission editing here. Currently there are not a whole lot of peeps doing it, ok I have received 3 in the last 3 months (it was BlackDog and Beita). That means that all of you are sitting back sharpshooting missions like Domination saying you want this or you want that....... Well go and do it!!! I can count on one hand the TG creators of missions. On the server we have at best a dozen missions from people here at TG and half of them are mine. So what does that say for the other 170+ missions we are running that are not ours?

What made OFP great was that lots of people were contributing all the time to making missions, some more complex than others. *Note- elaborate and complex does not always mean a great game. But no matter the basis, people were always doing something. There was so much variety of missions that the game never got boring for years, it is still not. People were always trying to “out do” other creators by making something people would enjoy playing.

For some reason I have failed to convey to you guys the importance of mission creation/editing. We created a special forum to help people out and even introduced the ability to get mentored if needed. We have gone so far as to offer classes, where we had only two people showed any interest. I do not know where we went wrong, but I sit here every day and listen to people literally complain about certain works by outside creators. The only solution to it is to start digging into how a mission is designed, tear it apart and learn. You guys cannot conceive how difficult it is to make some of these things you call “minor”. Most of them are complete overhauls to an already functioning mission. Plus, it is hard to understand what the original creator had in mind when he designed these things. So for someone to go through and look at endless pages of scripting is a nightmare. I am here to tell you that I am no guru in that area and it becomes extremely complex and difficult at times. Changing values in the init.sqf and description.ext is in itself a is still a lot of work. Every time you want to change 1 minor value, you have to decompile, edit, recompile and finally test to see if there was not some script linked to one of the values. It takes effort and time.

I can adjust some other peoples work, but there becomes a point where it is not theirs anymore. It takes on a new life and by all means should become something different. Let me give you an example of just some of the ideas for Domination: Turn off Mobile CP, Adjust AI respawning, change comms, remove side missions, e.t.c. Well what is left of the original Domination by Xeno? Why not make something else from the ground up? You are taking out the original ideas the mission creator had and all the time he spent making this mission. It probably would be a whole allot easier than deciphering what is going on as well is it would not destroy one the best overall campaigns in years.

I am done ranting for now. What I want you guys to understand that no one here gets paid to do any work here for TG, let alone create missions, which is extremely time consuming albeit rewarding. This means that as a community, if we want to see fresh content or something unique to us, it takes time on our parts. The more people contribute, the more variety you will see. As a whole the ArmA community has sucked really bad (not just TG) with decent content. We have been relegated to a limited number of contributors for missions, just look on the BI and other websites. People are not pumping out missions like they did for OFP.

The Big C -sends
    Last edited by TheBigC; 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM. Reason: Corrected myself...
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Good idea fairies....

Big C we know it's alot of work and it's easier to sit back and tell people what we want (as we are doing) than it is to go out and change something for ourselves. We know that you do alot of work for ArmA and it wouldn't be the same without you making everything work so well :P. I would love to be able to make missions but I just have no skill in it at all and so far when Ive tried to learn all I've found are pages and pages of information which after reading the first couple of pages really puts me of trying to learn. If someday I learn how to make missions I would. You talked about classes, If you still up for doing that I would go.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Well then.

I direct you to these two threads:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...p-mission.html

Post #11.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-missions.html

Post #8.

Do you want me to PM you the links instead? I assumed that a Mod & Mission Development sub-forum would be the proper place to put them ...

Comment

Are server 1&2 different from the event server? Perhaps the event server could be setup as a testing server for usermade missions.
        Last edited by Brewski; 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post

Do you want me to PM you the links instead? I assumed that a Mod & Mission Development sub-forum would be the proper place to put them ...
          Beita, to you I apologize. I forgot about yours... I loaded the one you posted a bit back, it has been on server 1 for a little bit now. The other one I missed, plus I need it in a raw file versus a zip. To solve that issue I will create a thread in the forum that people can just link the .pbo, without any discussion. Thanks....

Normally once we find a mission wherever, we load it up on the test/event server and try and gather people to test it out. WE find that lots of missions run totally different than what the designer planned. It is critical that they are tested on a dedicated server versus some local host, it plays totally different. For some reason there is a glitch that does not allow the scripts to work properly.

Overall, it does not change the fact that creating basic missions is actually not hard, just time consuming to say the least. This has to be one of the easier games to learn how to make a mission, the scripting is another story.

I am always up to teach another class to the gamers her should you all be interested. Like I said before, the more people contribute, the more variety we have as well as more people that are technical experts to lead us into the future.
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post

The other one I missed, plus I need it in a raw file versus a zip.

Ah, I was unaware of this. I will re-post them with simply the uncompressed PBO.

Comment

Big C,

I have another mission near completion which I am going to finish with Beita's help to help make everything work. I would very much like to do a class I am working it out and placing stuff and doing the mission brief is the easy bit, using "scripts" to make people do things or set conditions like objectives, respawns, etc, I am having a nightmare with as all the "begineers guides" to a PC idiot like me, seem still complicated. I have read two 300 plus page versions now and still I cannot get some AI to do what it says on the piece of paper. However, once i have this cracked, expect a lot more missions from me.
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...