Had fun!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had fun!!

Just wanted to say that the past couple of nights I have been on the TG server I have had some fun playing ArmA. Although there is still a lot I am still not quite understanding I am still enjoying myself.
    Last night though I did get a little ticked though, having fun and then I think a hacker came a long and had to ruin it for most of the people in the server. I tried hanging out for a few rounds but I ended up just getting so mad I left. Hope the admin that was on was able to narrow it down to who it may have been and kicked/banned that person. If it wasn't a hacker then it must be the maps that were being loaded full of glitches.
    Plan on playing some more on the TG server though, just remember I am new to the game and will have a lot of mistakes. I like to play follow the leader that way I have a better idea of what I need to be doing. My biggest thing I am having a problem with is letting the team know my position, I am so use to having the GPS when I bring up the map in other servers I have been on. So right now that is my question, how do I know my exact position? I seen enemy in my sights and relayed to my team and when asked my position I had no answer for them except "by the gravel road". Gravel roads were all around us I think, lol.

Re: Had fun!!

Finding your EXACT position can be very difficult (depending on the mission/difficulty mode). But, you can give an estimate by correctly reading the map.

On the upper edge and bottom edge of the map, there are letters in the middle of each square (Hj, Ie, Gd, etc.), also, on the left edge and right edge of the map there are numbers in the middle of each square (13, 24, 45, etc.). This is the ArmA's map coordinate system.

To give a quick estimate of your location, look for the red circle with a line sticking out of it, this is your player marker. Now, find which set of LETTERS the square you are in belongs to (Note: ALWAYS do the letters (top) first), next find which set of NUMBERS the square belongs to. Alternatively, if you have a GPS, you can simply check and see what coord you are in by looking at it's screen in the map view. It tells you right on it.

Once you know this, you can give a location by saying something along the lines of "This is msdz, I am in grid reference <Numbers> <Letters>" ie: This is msdz, I am in grid reference India Delta Two Four.

Note the use of the NATO phonetic alphabet, you can just say the numbers, but people have accents, the VON quality can cut in and out and some letters sound similiar (B and D for example), so using the phonetic alphabet helps. You don't have to use the NATO one, anyone word that starts with the letter will suffice.

Comment

It was good to play with you the other night msdz. And you kicked ass that first night and got a lot of kills in the tough Insurgancy mission.

As for last night, don't know about the hacker but some weird stuff happened while we were on server 2, and it lasted a few mins. then went away. So far I really like having a passworded 2nd server up, as the level of teamwork is through the roof (you were on the public server #1 last night).

We did a couple of awesome missions, one was named something about X-mas and was a trip at the beginning. The other was called Missionary, and was a great night mission with great teamwork leading to a win.

As far as situational awareness, you just have to stay close, use your compass, and some missions have a GPS screen if you hit right Ctrl-M.

Also, belive it or not, I keep in mind as much as possible actual map layout and directions in my head, either by looking at reference buildings going in, or the position of the sun if it is morning or evening. That way when someone says Contact East, I know which way to turn. And the awesome thing about this game is the more you play, you will actually get to know the towns, and it becomes so much easier to communicate. Jump on the Demolition server some and you will get to see a bunch of the towns over and over so you can get a feel for them. You start remembering where good overwatch hills are, good roofs to climb on, good compounds to hide in, etc.

Looking forward to playing with you some more.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I had the idea about the map and the letters and numbers but honestly, that can be a huge area to cover in that what appears to be a little square till it is zoomed in all the way. This would especially make it difficult in maps with wide open areas with no distinguishing landmarks such as a barn or house nearby. I guess I will become use to it though the more I play.
        BUT if BF Heroes comes out real soon I will probably give up on ArmA to start playing that, lol. I seen they are releasing more beta keys on the site!!

Comment

Was great playing with you. Great teamwork skills you've got there pal. Looking forward playing with you again.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

They announced I think yesterday that BFheros has been pushed back till the end of the year.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It was good to have you on the TG Arma servers MSDZ. C'mon back now ya hear!
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Good to see you on the server mate, as with any of the guys, you have any probs in game, just ask, we are all more than happy to help!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X