SOP's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOP's

Where are they? The post that says required reading contains a link to the SOP section. :row__690:
    Jex.

Re: SOP's

? Are you looking for something out side of the forums already? or are you looking for alink someone posted about something that may no longer exist?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

The only SOP there is for comms. I thought there used to be a lot more governing gameplay, server ettiquete, etc.

Comment

What Jam said - there's is only one SOP in that section.
        Jex.

Comment

We will look into it fellas.
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I think Jex is referring to the SOP found in this thread

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...on-replay.html

It did take me quite a few minutes to find this and I knew where to look !....so I can imagine a newer player easily missing it...(even though SOP's are supposed to be required reading).

I think we are talking about two different things

1. Giving the mission away by revealing spoilers.

2. Use of enemy vehicles and assets.

I was in command of the mission Jex is referring to and I didn't like the idea of one player sneaking off to the base at paraiso because he had done this mission before and knew he could acquire an enemy ka-50. Unfortunately, as platoon commander I sometimes fall into the trap of trying to make everyone happy all the time and that includes acquiescing to requests that may or may not have merit. In this case I thought we had enough people on the ground I didn't think one less would affect the outcome of the mission so I didn't put my foot down. Perhaps this conversation will spur me to think twice the next time something like this comes up.

Please read the SOP I linked above...In fact...re read all if you would. It never hurts to do that. I'm going to start enforcing the no spoilers rule and I'll also ask my fellow admins to be equally stringent as well.

As for # 2. It's not as cut and dried as #1. Give the admin team some time to discuss and we'll come back with more info. I see your point about overuse of enemy assets but there has to be a measured balance somewhere between the two extremes. If we disallow taking of enemy vehicles you just know this will be violated again and again by either ignorance of or sheer disregard of sop's--an admin nightmare really. Consider it under advisement for now and let me ask a favor of both new comers and regulars--think twice and ask your self if you really need to be in that enemy vehicle--does it enhance gameplay for the server or just for you.

Thanks
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Here is the deal, we are not going to write a hundred SOPs that everyone has to memorize and at all times. There are a couple key ones that get the general point across without having to be overwhelming. By doing it this way, it allows for adaptation in gameplay based on certain situations and allows for freedoms in certain areas. By not having a ton of SOPs, it also allows for the game to grow and adapt so this game can evolve into something better. The Announcement Forum is fairly good about capturing specific things that are specific to TG and the way we do business. We can roll up some of the threads to make it easier for newer player to more quickly grasp the fundamentals.

In general, the Primer here at TG lays out a concept of we are all about. The underlying theme to everything we do is team work and maturity. If people cannot grasp that most fundamental of ideas, they will definitely not follow dozens of SOPs that lay out in detail how the game should be played.

Now if people want clearly want a detailed explanation on how every action should be handled, we can do that, but I think it does not allow for the maturity part of TG. This game is not like any other here at TG in the crowd that we attract. We have predominantly seen a much older and usually much more mature crowd that could understand tactics and team work without it having to be drawn out in crayon.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                Here is the deal, we are not going to write a hundred SOPs that everyone has to memorize and at all times. There are a couple key ones that get the general point across without having to be overwhelming. By doing it this way, it allows for adaptation in gameplay based on certain situations and allows for freedoms in certain areas. By not having a ton of SOPs, it also allows for the game to grow and adapt so this game can evolve into something better. The Announcement Forum is fairly good about capturing specific things that are specific to TG and the way we do business. We can roll up some of the threads to make it easier for newer player to more quickly grasp the fundamentals.

In general, the Primer here at TG lays out a concept of we are all about. The underlying theme to everything we do is team work and maturity. If people cannot grasp that most fundamental of ideas, they will definitely not follow dozens of SOPs that lay out in detail how the game should be played.

Now if people want clearly want a detailed explanation on how every action should be handled, we can do that, but I think it does not allow for the maturity part of TG. This game is not like any other here at TG in the crowd that we attract. We have predominantly seen a much older and usually much more mature crowd that could understand tactics and team work without it having to be drawn out in crayon.
                Whoa. No one is asking for new SOP's, I just couldn't find the old ones.

There are a pile of irrelevant posts between the stickied posts and Strag's SOP's at the bottom. I would have thought all SOP's would be stickied so they are easily found. I know not all new people are finding and reading the bottom posts.

Comment

Sorry Guys...got my threads mixed up...my response was meant for another post Jex made entitled "Using Enemy Vehicles" Sorry for the confusion. I'll leave this up here as well but repost in Jex's thread.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                    Here is the deal, we are not going to write a hundred SOPs that everyone has to memorize and at all times.
                    The pre-exisiting SOP's have been at TG for years (literally). Nobody had any trouble memorising those then and do we want people who can't be bothered to adhere to a few rules (bearing in mind the existing SOP's have not been revoked)?

There are a couple key ones that get the general point across without having to be overwhelming. By doing it this way, it allows for adaptation in gameplay based on certain situations and allows for freedoms in certain areas.
                    The existing SOP's allow for just that - that's why they were put in place (no less than by a retired US Army Ranger Sniper). The only restrictions placed there are to ensure a higher quality of team based play - precisely why TG was created

By not having a ton of SOPs, it also allows for the game to grow and adapt so this game can evolve into something better. The Announcement Forum is fairly good about capturing specific things that are specific to TG and the way we do business. We can roll up some of the threads to make it easier for newer player to more quickly grasp the fundamentals.
                    We don't have a ton of SOP's. What were established were put there to ensure a better play experience that members here lapped up - people do like to get involved and learn different SOP's so they can play in a more realistic manner. People like learning things that add to their gameplay experience and again, it's what seperates us from the majority of servers out there.

And there are plenty of other servers out there for those kinds of people to play on. I don't see why we need to nerf our experience to accomadate these kinds of people that we clearly don't want to see on the servers.

Now if people want clearly want a detailed explanation on how every action should be handled, we can do that, but I think it does not allow for the maturity part of TG. This game is not like any other here at TG in the crowd that we attract.
                    You're making it sound as if we're looking to write up a complete field manual on how to do things - this is way over the top. If people didn't want to learn how to do things, why have the TGU? People like to learn infantry tactics, formations, battle drills, etc but the existing SOP's don't even touch this. As for this not being like any other game here, the Original Ghost recon, a lot like arma in playability, was why the SOP's were written in the first place and adopted by 100% of the members back then. For 2 solid years the GR server was full practically every night running under these SOP's.

We have predominantly seen a much older and usually much more mature crowd that could understand tactics and team work without it having to be drawn out in crayon.
                    I'm not so sure that is correct. I find people barely know how to move and fire - cover each other, cover themselves, protect their flanks, etc We've got people who just want to jump in choppers and blow stuff up, people who want to sit on a hilltop with a big sniper rifle and plug away at targets, jump in captured armour and roll through town on a killing frenzy - they clearly do not understand tactics and teamwork and perhaps do need it drawn out in crayon for them ;)

As said earlier, the SOP's are not there to restrict gameplay but to provide a better gaming experience and environment - something I hope I have addressed in this response :)
                    Jex.

Comment

Jex & Et al,

As most of you all know by now, I am extremely open minded and can take suggestions to better the community. Please don't think I am saying we do not need certian things spelled out to help the newer players. Maybe I am making the wrong assumption that the players coming here can pick up the concept of the game fairly quickly based on the genre of ArmA. I may be wrong but I always try and have a little faith.

Hopefully you all notice the messages that pop up when you join the servers, they give a brief introduction to players passing by and hopefully have a impact. I have found the messages people read in short format at the beginning are more effective than verbose and detailed SOPs in the forum, which the casual player will never read. We have to get them into the forum 1st, then they will read it. If you guys think some other short bullet comments need to be added, by all means post em up and I can add them so the newer players see them when they 1st join the server.

You mentioned the TGU and learning, that has been sort of a disappointment with me. We have run several classes that we prepared in a professional manner and tailored specifically to ArmA. Some of the classes had to do with basic leadership concepts as well as other topics. The turn out for them was pretty poor for some reason, which is a disappointment. I would love to have classes all the time, but for some reason when it comes to people actually showing up they never seem to commit. That being said, I am committed to having more classes run of people are interested.

As for the clowns that like to jump into a helo and crash them, you know I will instantly ban people for that. I have zero tolerance for lonewolfing it. The admin team is steadily growing as the player base does. Hopefully that will help a bit with the unruly tards passing by.

I really do welcome any suggestions by the community of what will make TG ArmA great into the future. We are ever growing and becoming more popular every day. I hope this trend will continue through the release of ArmA2 and beyond. The admin team and I cannot do it alone, we do need the help of the community as a whole for suggestions and recommendations on what is needed to better ourselves. If certian SOPs need to be outlines, by all means tell us which ones are needed and we can go from there...

V/r,
                      The Big C
                      Last edited by tHa_KhAn; 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X