Time for a new pwd on server 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new pwd on server 2

Does anyone else think it might be time to change the password on server 2? I noticed quite a few players on last night that were not displaying an understanding of TG SOP - I observed many instances of lapses in effective teamwork and cooperation. Just a little slacking can really spoil it for a lot of people - we twice had operations interrupted when single players streaked through hostile territory.

Also, someone has to come up with a way of putting sound dampening in the briefing areas by the flagpole. Beta was flipping out about this last night as tanks and jets rolled around nearby.

Re: Time for a new pwd on server 2

Yeah, last night I was pretty pissed about the guy that paradroped into the enemy compound we were setting up to hit. All the planning and setup ruined.

And the noise in the main base is extremely annoying. It makes it hard to plan and talk. And the people doing it then act like it is personal when we ask them to stop.

Also extremely annoyed when we were loaded up in choppers, and I kept asking the people in the 2nd chopper questions and no one would answer. The pilot finally had to get out and go look in the back. How hard is it to type a reply in the chat, even if you don't have a mic.

On top of that, if it is not in the SOP we need to add in ASAP that you do not just randomly call in arty strikes or supply drops, and last night it was nonstop. I only called in 1 arty because every other time I tried, it was unavailable.
    If you need any kind of drop, you ask the people in charge of a mission. That should be obvious.

Sorry for the grouchy post, but last night was just very off from the high standard of the last few weeks.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Seriously, start kicking.

Over the past week I've also noticed lots of unknowns on the pwd'd server and was thinking along the same lines as AMosely

Comment

Yeah, password changing or not, there will be fools. That seems to be the problem with sheer numbers, the odds of having them rise. I can change the passwords, but it I announce it when I do....
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if we could modify Domination to have new players spawn into a special room where they had to be cleared by some kind of administration officer and be assigned to a squad before they could enter the environment? Established players would not need to do this, but newcomers would have to read the rules. That way, when a squad discovers some yokel running through the woods with his MG blazing, we could kick that individual without wasting any more time. Right now we have to basically say "excuse me, but what exactly are your intentions there rambo?" It gets old when you're doing that more than 3 times a night.

It's a tough situation. The two guys who separately waltzed into our target area (AirBadger and another guy) did come around after being asked to fall in line, but there were other infractions out there as well.

I'm not sure we even know who it was that paradropped right on top of an armor depot, totally blowing our coordinated assault.

Comment

There are a lot of new faces recently yet I don't see any additions in people posting here. I agree - change the PW and start kicking people that don't fit in. What's the point of playing games with smacktards running around. I'm not an SM but if I was I would be demanding these people be kicked for ruining the game for others. Administration should bear this in mind as it is the SM's that pay for the servers and they pay for a reason. Yeah I'm pretty narked about it as well and I wasn't even there but I know exactly how it feels.
            Jex.

Comment

Some of these problems can be solved by playing a non-AI version of Domination ... for example the "constant arty calls" and such ... play the revive or Mando version, and only the artillery operator can call artillery.

As for the noise on the airfield. Yep, I got pissed at it and chewed out anyone in an aircraft at base. Sorry if it offended you, but I don't know what else to do. I've asked nicely before, got me no where. When you have 20 people standing around for 5 minutes waiting for a briefing while a jet/chopper/tank/APC/whatever is twitching while trying to "park" .. I start to get upset.

I agree a new password should be implemented, the same password has been up for a good 2 months now. But I agree even more that stricter administration is what is really needed. If people constantly are causing problems, the admins shouldn't let it slide. Lately, I have seen some good admin action, and it really helped out the gameplay. When things start spiraling out of control, admins can stop it.

Comment

I wonder if the increase in the non-team-player population on server 2 is really caused by keeping the same password for too long. My guess is that if you change the password, you'll still get folks who look up the password and come on in to rambo around, just like always.

It's a tough problem to solve when you want to continue to keep the server relatively easily accessible to attract new team players. Perhaps instead of noting 'password on website' in the server name, we should instead simply write 'Please see TacticalGamer.com'. If I didn't know about TG and I saw the server in the server browser with a note that said see TG.com, I'd go check it out if I was serious and then I'd find the password on my own. Saying 'Password on website' might just be making it a little too obvious that they'll find the password with minimal effort on the website, which might be drawing in non-teamplay folks who want to connect to a passworded server just to feel like part of the 'in' crowd.

Am I making any sense here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe_NYC View Post
                  I wonder if the increase in the non-team-player population on server 2 is really caused by keeping the same password for too long. My guess is that if you change the password, you'll still get folks who look up the password and come on in to rambo around, just like always.

It's a tough problem to solve when you want to continue to keep the server relatively easily accessible to attract new team players. Perhaps instead of noting 'password on website' in the server name, we should instead simply write 'Please see TacticalGamer.com'. If I didn't know about TG and I saw the server in the server browser with a note that said see TG.com, I'd go check it out if I was serious and then I'd find the password on my own. Saying 'Password on website' might just be making it a little too obvious that they'll find the password with minimal effort on the website, which might be drawing in non-teamplay folks who want to connect to a passworded server just to feel like part of the 'in' crowd.

Am I making any sense here?
                  I agree that it is a little unnecessary to put "Password on website".

From my experience, a bunch the the newer players that have come to TG in the last little while have come because of a good experience on the TG public server (Server 1). It may just be me, but if I see a locked server ... I simply ignore it. I'm sure many filter them out. Now, maybe when there are 30 people on the locked server and it is the top of the list you will get some people interested, but usually, they will assume its just another clan server.

I think the best way to "recruit" new players for Server 2 is the regularly play on Server 1, gritting your teeth and dealing with the players who don't have mics, players who have very short attention spans, players who don't listen, players who teamkill, players who grief, players who hack, etc.

Yeah, it sucks and no one really wants to play in that kind of environment, but take last two nights for example: We had a LOT of players on the server, we had a lot of PROBLEM players, but a good 3 or 4 were very interested in the style of play, and will likely check out this website. Case in point, the latest player to post in the "New to Armed Assault on TG? Report in." thread, Bandit. Straight from Server 1 last night, referred them to the site, and they will likely be playing on Server 2 now.

This explains it all,

Have had ArmA since release, just never found the right server for it to take off for me.

If you have played on a non-TG server lately, you will notice the large, gaping hole when communication and general teamwork should be. LOTS of ArmA players stop playing because that is what they were looking for, but couldn't find it on any server. Then, once in a blue moon, when TG Server 1 is populated by people who care, they are amazed that such a community existed and become very excited over the game again.

Well, enough of my rant for now.

Short version: Play on Server 1 more often, and take a lead position. Yes, it will probably hurt a lot, but you will most likely "recruit" some people that may eventually become TG regulars.
                  Last edited by beita; 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: Made a little less offensive :)

Comment

I have to agree with Gabe, correcting and yelling in the server will not stop any nonteam conscience person from doing the same annoying action as I just read above. But, my agreement with Gabe is to maybe look at the way the password is accessible to the public. I first started to show up through invitation from Bamboo (BooBoo). Then I saw that all you had to do to get the password was to register on this site and there it was, like the old, put the key under the mat thingy. For a trial, change the password, keep it amongst proven teamplayers and recruit from server1 for server2.

Now, if I am, in anyway stepping on toes for just trying to help resolve a situation, I apologize upfront.

The password to server2 should be a privilege earned.

Comment

It's a passworded server. Being on there means you have read and understood the SOP's and the TG primer.

If players make it obvious that they have not completed the required reading, kick them, and explain they need to read the forums. IMO, any leniency to be had should be left on server 1.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to make TS mandatory for people on the passworded server. That way if they are kicked, they have immediate access to the admin to discuss the reasons why outside of the game. It also means that you know they are registered on TG. It would be much better to kick disruptive players (given fair warning of course) as a wake up call and let them back in 5 minutes later, than have the rest of the players put up with BS behavoir for 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I know this increases the administrative workload, but dispensing tough love up front will pay off in the long run.

Playing on server 2 is already a privilege, it just needs to be enforced. Knowing the password is of little consequence when you're player id is blacklisted.

Comment

By having the advertisement for PW on the website, it gets them into here to read the rules as Jex pointed out. We can take it off server 2, but when server 1 goes to a PW it will have it on there. This is to allow newer people some exposure to the site...
                        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I certainly agree to having the password changed, it can't hurt! As with many of you guys, I have noticed a few players who clearly have not read the rules and just do their thing! For example, that mission we played two night ago, beta was commanding, scope, barnacle and myself squad led. Near the end, a guy joined, didn't announce himself and opened up on scope's squad. For some reson his name wouldn't show up either, just called him at soldier I think!

I do like the fact that we occasionally play on server one, it attracts some good new players, and they are of a high quality! Howeve, like on the PR server, there will be people who won't read our rules and sop's and that's fine if in game we can lead them, they then tend to fall in line but I don't see a way of guaranteeing that they read them.

I think changing the password should be enough to ease the problem, anything else and I have absolute faith in all our admins to sort any other problems!

Comment

You can change passwords all you want, but until you start adding to the banlist, nothing will be accomplished.

Anyone using a PW is presumed to know all the rules. There should be zero-tolerance for infractions. Ban them and thin out the herd.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I was there last night for the transition of the game from Server 1 to Server 2. Initially, I thought it was a very slick bit of ad-hoc "advertising" for the TG approach, until I saw the already-described acts of non-discipline occur.

Maybe the PW could be PM'd to new members after they read the rules and acknowledge it with a post in a thread designated for such? Meh, I don't know.

The most irritating thing last night was folks using the Directional chat for typing messages into the center of the screen. The problem being that these "musings" are not tagged by author and the instant folks realized this, it got very stupid very quickly. Grunt literally stopped the game with a "Time out" action hoping to make someone 'fess up and promise not to do it again.

Another misused tool is the ability for anyone to anonymously add or remove icons from the briefing map. Some folks in the leader slots create an entire battle plan, with correct infantry and armor markers, RPs, OPs, FPs, EPs, and so forth, and it must be extremely frustrating to watch some yahoo erase the entire plan and/or add nonsense icons.

The only way to prevent this, IMHO, is to preserve the integrity of the password.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X