TGU Classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGU Classes

Any requests or ideas as far as ArmA goes? Post in this thread, please.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Re: TGU Classes

Battlefield manoeuvres mate! I find myself taking a lot of time in game with large squads, teaching people how to move in Staggered Column, Line and even basic column.

I think people may like to learn how formations should be used and when, but are possibly to affraid to ask for fear of looking stupid, which they are not. If someone has never served before how are they expeted to know how a CQB staggered column works.

Just one suggestion.
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

it would be nice to teach people how to find good cover, also it would be nice to teach people when to engage and when not to engage.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Also more advaced stuff. I have noticed when engaged (and this is usually when someone gets the jump on us) we just hit the dirt ad return fire, but no-one moves position. I realise it is risky, but a simple move can win the firefight. If i have a squad pouring it on, i myself often try and get left or right, only maybe 15 metres, but its enough to get an angle on the busy ai....Some people just havnt considered it, and it sure would be easier if the squad helped cover! :) lol, i just start shouting in the mic, moving right, and away i go.....

Comment

I'd like to see a nice class on different leadership duties:
          fire team leader
          squad leader
          platoon leader

Comment

Great timing I think. All the ideas posted above are good.

A class that spell out step by step what goes into coop mission organization would help. People get really impatient sometimes but if they know why they are waiting it would help. This would also include a section on who should use what comms channel, how to place markers and a big one--CHAIN OF COMMAND.

Jeepo's got a good one with movement to fire but I think that's a little bit advanced. EDIT...adding importance of communicating correct contact reports.

I'd sugges you start with Blackdog's recommendation--a class on simple formations and movements of fire teams and platoons.

I also think you should run a server message advertising this to allcomers when people join the server. The people reading the forums for the most part don't need this training. It's those new to TG ARMA that need this the most.

I'd be willing to be an instructor for any of these programs.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

it would be nice if you taught people how to communicate as to what target they are firing at I am always seeing 4 or more people unloading entire clips on one guy
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

There a few things I would like to be taught, to make leading any size organization a bit easier.

#1, first and foremost, and BY FAR the most important (in my opinion) is to teach proper communications. It has come to the point where if there is more than 3 people talking on Side channel .. I will have to say something about it, since I can't get 3 seconds to issue any orders to my group because they can't hear over the radio.

First things about comms would be to teach what channel you are supposed to be on. It isn't as cut and dry as "Fire team leaders always use Group, Squad Leaders always use Side".

A little bit of "common sense" in game can go a long way. When you are literally, 30 meters from the other squad leader, there is no need to get ahold of them on Side. Simply move over to them and talk in direct. If you split your squad into smaller fireteams, and everyone is in the same group, the various fireteam leaders can use Group radio to get ahold of the squad/section leader. Group members should rarely use group channel, as it can interfere with comms between squads and platoon.

When a squad is trying to get ahold of another squad that is out of shouting range, Side channel must be used. The most important thing about talking on the Side channel is this: brevity. You need to remember, EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the server (in coop missions) will hear what you are saying when you are on Side channel. This can be VERY distracting in heated engagements. So, try to AVOID using Side when groups are engaged in heavy fighting. If you need to use it, THINK about what you are going to say first, THEN send your message, as quick and clear as possible. Diarreha of the mouth is NOT something that is needed on a global radio net.

Some simple phrases that can help with radio brevity:

"On the way" - you are moving out to where ever assigned (LZ, firing position, etc.)
                "Copy" - you understand
                "Break Break Break" - clear the radio net, someone has something vital to say
                "Sitrep" - give a report about what is happening, may be specific, may be general

There are MANY more, lots of available reading online .. however the use of some of them in ArmA may be questionable.

After comms have been sorted, I would like to see classes on the following (mostly re-suggestions from what people already posted):

Formations - Column, Staggered Column, Line, Wedge
                Contact reports - how to give them for various situations
                Chain of Command, Leading, and Being Lead - explain the various problems/difficulties associated with leading a large group of people and why certain things are done
                Contact drills - simple drills to follow when coming under fire in various situations (ambush, expected contact, unexpected contact)
                Fire and Movement - teach the principles of bounding overwatch in its various forms

There are TONS more I could think of .. but I think that is more than enough already :)
                Last edited by beita; 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM. Reason: Bad grammar.

Comment

Actually since the new version of domination seems to have fixed the squad bug, I think the communications should start going a lot better. But of course last night I was in a group and Grunt couldn't hear me on group channel. Said it was super quiet and hard to hear. But if I was on side or direct, he could hear me fine.

And I am glad you brought up Sitrep. I have said that a bunch of times both in PR and ARMA, and no one knows what it means. Is it my accent? :D

Also, Dslyexci has an awesome guide on his site:
                  http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html
                  with tons to learn about formations and everything else. Of course hands on practice it great too, but reading up on it is a good way to get started.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Sitrep is a very useful thing no one knows what it means. We also should teach casevac and we should also use abbreviations like SL instead of squad leader or FOB instead of forward operating base
                    |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                      Sitrep is a very useful thing no one knows what it means. We also should teach casevac
                      When in ArmA is there ever a need to casevac someone? No need to worry about something that is typically a non-factor, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                        When in ArmA is there ever a need to casevac someone? No need to worry about something that is typically a non-factor, right?
                        Most people do usally fight to the death, but when available I try to get people casevac especially when there is no revives or respawns
                        |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

I wish ArmA had bleeeeeding. : (

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                            Most people do usally fight to the death, but when available I try to get people casevac especially when there is no revives or respawns
                            Could you cite a situation in which you would do this? Curious to hear it. Bringing a medic to someone makes perfect sense, I just can't think of when you would need to completely casevac someone with the standard ArmA damage model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                              Could you cite a situation in which you would do this? Curious to hear it. Bringing a medic to someone makes perfect sense, I just can't think of when you would need to completely casevac someone with the standard ArmA damage model.

When no one comes in as a medic .... awwww crap.

I agree though .. casevac procedures are one of those things that you don't really need ... happens once in a blue moon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X