No man gets left behind!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No man gets left behind!

Many of you may have seen this, but I found a couple of very good pieces about it.

L/cpl For of the Royal Marine Commando's was unfortunately killed last year in combat in Afghanistan (it now seems Blue on Blue regretfully). Whilst taking a Fort that the Taliban controlled, incoming armour rounds landed slightly off target and the Marines were just too close.

In the scrambled evacuation, there was a messed up headcount of survivors and when back at base, they realised they were a man down.

Command asked for volunteers to go back into an extremely hostile environment to get their fallen colleague. Without LB's in the Army Air Corp's fleet and time of the essence, it was decided that 4 volunteers would hang onto the sides of two Apache Gunships with one gunship covering!!! The US provided air support to the mission with an A10 and B2 on station.

Bloody dangerous but another example of what fighting forces around the world will do to get their men back, laive or dead.

Huge respect to those guys hanging on to a gunship in those conditions.... Bloody good stuff and typically British! Fair play fellas!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqpu4oGDQxE&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevFcbGkhO4&NR=1[/media]
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: No man gets left behind!

The first clip seems to give the impression that the Apache wings had never been used for transport before, but I seem to recall that the USAF trains their pilots in rescue scenarios that way.

Bloody awesome nonetheless.

Comment

A great video and honors the western modern military's motto leave no man behind :)
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

What a great coordinated mission under intense fire by the sounds of it. Respect to the royal marines and the apache crews for putting their necks in the firing line. I did notice the gunner in the Apache rapidly scanning for targets as they went in - interesting to see just how quickly that thing moves (digs out my copy of LongBow 2...)
        Jex.

Comment

The 30mm chaingun can be slaved to their helmet displays, enabling either the pilot or gunner to look at a target and put rounds down range accurately. They use the IR display for the precise stuff. So yeah, that gun can whip around as fast as you can move your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
            The 30mm chaingun can be slaved to their helmet displays, enabling either the pilot or gunner to look at a target and put rounds down range accurately. They use the IR display for the precise stuff. So yeah, that gun can whip around as fast as you can move your head.
            You should grab yourself a copy of LongBow 2 or Enemy Engaged in that case. Both work with XP and LB2 works even better on Vista. If you can put up with some pretty outdated graphics, you'll love the MP - handing of PFZ's to your wingman is great stuff.
            Jex.

Comment

why not just use the Apache addon for ArmA you can do almost any kind of apache mission with it and it has good graphics :)
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

In a sense you're right, but ArmA's flight model isn't as precise (or detailed) as a dedicated simulation's would be (such as Longbow 2 or Falcon 4.0). What's there in ArmA certainly works, and it is more challenging than, say, the Battlefield series, but it's pretty bare-bones compared to something more detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                  why not just use the Apache addon for ArmA you can do almost any kind of apache mission with it and it has good graphics :)
                  Because in LB2 or EE I can use FLIR, have a radar that works realistically, have counter measures, and can change the burst rate on my cannon. With the hellfires, I can set them to LOBL or LOAL, I have a ground radar and an air radar and I can shut down an engine if need be because of an engine fire. In LB2 I can also have a human gunner who is able to utilise the weapons using flir with the option to use white hot/ black hot and with him or just solo I can designate a whole group of targets with the drag of the mouse, duck behind a hill and ripple fire off enough hellfires to take them all out without having to individually lock each target. The map is far larger and both LB2 and EE have a dynamic campaign which don't require me to make missions for it and EE also supports 6 DOF. It also has a decent flight model, a HUD and different hud modes to choose from. I can also call in airsupport or artillery at the touch of a button.

Arma as a flight sim just doesn't cut it in any respect :)
                  Jex.

Comment

great videos, i heard about it when it happened, but hadn't seen any footge of it
                    sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                      The map is far larger and both LB2 and EE have a dynamic campaign which don't require me to make missions for it and EE also supports 6 DOF. It also has a decent flight model, a HUD and different hud modes to choose from. I can also call in airsupport or artillery at the touch of a button.
                      At one stage it was said that ArmA 2 would have a dynamic campaign like this. If it is still the case then that will make for one superb game!

Comment

The one plus to using the ArmA apache though other than graphics is that you can actully make the scenario displayed in the video and the ArmA apache isnt that bad you can have a gunner with flir that has white hot or black hot you can lock onto a bunch of targets pop up and engage them all and you can laser des stuff and have resuce flight (carry troops on side) I wouldnt call it the best but it sure beats spending money (even if it is only a few bucks)
                        |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

You're talking about a mod, right Socom? Do you have a link for us?

Comment

you must have the first link to make the apache work http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=804 in this pack is the apache http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=903
                            |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                              The one plus to using the ArmA apache though other than graphics is that you can actully make the scenario displayed in the video and the ArmA apache isnt that bad you can have a gunner with flir that has white hot or black hot you can lock onto a bunch of targets pop up and engage them all and you can laser des stuff and have resuce flight (carry troops on side) I wouldnt call it the best but it sure beats spending money (even if it is only a few bucks)
                              I'm sure it's pretty good, I just prefer something more detailed when it comes to flight sims. EE has had some great improvements from it from the community (and it's free) so if you like flying choppers you should check it out :)

@Davies A DC would be great for arma. Imagine a whole war going on around you and you're one small part of it :)
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X