Tech Question: New video card + RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Question: New video card + RAM

Aight for tech junkies out there (im damn sure b'boo will be alot of help here)...you guessed it by the thread's title. Im looking into buying a new video card and some ram for my desktop computer to be able to run ArmA just fine.

Here's my story. As some of you may (or may not) know, im currently playing ArmA on my DELL laptop.

Its doing great...except the fact that I think I might have busted something on my video card...why am I saying this? Well basically my screen does NOT work (pretty useful for a laptop uh?) either when I boot the bitch up or it *rarely* just stops working when im doing something else(once while on ArmA and another while browsing the web just to name a few) and it has recently stopped working on external display (when I hook my pc monitor on my laptop it wont work as it used to) and today, display brightness adjustment (you know on a laptop..when you change your screen brightness) stopped working. It might also be a loose connection inside the screen itself. Anyways i'll got have a chat with DELL this week on a day off.

Anyway...back on topic (btw if any of you guys have an idea how i can fix this laptop problem...). Last time I've been up to date with PC hardware was when I built my current desktop rig 4years or so ago. Back in the day PCI mobos where out of price range for a guy like me who had no job at all. All I had was the money to buy some good (not extra) PC.

Here's the trick...im now looking into upgrading my PC (ultimately, it needs a SLI motherboard, SLI video card and RAM update) just so I can play Armed Assault PERFECTLY fine and I dont have the money right now for a total revamp (saving for when ArmA 2 hits).

So I'm looking into a good AGP (guess most AGP cards are pretty affordable nowadays), maybe the best AGP Video card, that could run ArmA...Or is it just not possible?

What should I get?

Also I currently have 516mb of DDR 400mhz RAM (yes you can laugh...it was all i was able to afford) and I'm looking into buying something like 3gb.

To resume...
    Im looking into a great AGP card, maybe the best one out there, for an afforable price (dont mind if its an Nvidia or ATI, see 3 lines under for current motherboard on my desktop).
    2-3gb of RAM

My current desktop settings (RAM aside) is:
    Motherboard:Asus P4P 800 SE
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb

As I said, im not up to date with current hardware so this is why I'm asking fellow Armed Assault players what they think. My budget is around 275, 325 MAXIMUM, otherwise i know somebody (yes...a she) that might rip my head off.
    Last edited by Xmaster; 08-16-2008, 07:29 PM.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Re: Tech Question: New video card + RAM

Just thought Id post the specs of my desktop:
    Intel Pentium IV 2.8Ghz, FSB @ 800mhz, 1mb cache
    Asus P4P800SE
    420 Power supply

(havent posted the video card and RAM since im planning on changing them ;))

Did a quick search on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102730
    What you guys think?

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

I hate to tell you this, but your problem is similar to trying to put 22" rims on a tricycle: either way you slice it, it ain't going to work.

In my opinion, anything you upgrade will cause the rest of your PC to lag behind. The best thing I can offer is saving up your pennies and buying a brand new mid-range PC. I could price out a great rig for under $600 if you live in the US/Canada.

Comment

I would say buy a new computer and just upgrade that somewhat with maybe a better graphics card. it would be more pricy to replace things in that old rig and have it work well
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Xmaster, the guys above are completly right. AGP right now is like digging a hole and throwing your money in and covering it up. Even a $110 Nvidia9600GT will spank any AGP card, even one you would end up paying $250 or more.

Let me ask you this, is your computer case still good, so if we found you a motherboard/ram/cpu/gpu combo for super cheap, you could put it in? And how about the harddrive. Is it SATA?

EDIT:
          I see deals like this all the time:
          Barebone Computer Kit: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, MSI P6N SLI Motherboard, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 680W Power Supply, 10-Bay Computer Case $278 (expired)
          It's not that great, but would get you through till you can get something better. It is expired, but if you want me to keep my eyes open, I will.
          Last edited by Bamboo; 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The case is still good, I have a brand new sata 320go hard drive that I've bought about a year ago. So basically all I need to change is my motherboard, ram and video card.

I guess my processor is still good enough? Its a 2.8 GHZ (it is not a dual core)

The combo could be a good idea. Too be honest I dont want to throw up alot of money (1st cant at the moment, 2nd I will upgrade for a better PC eventually). Just so I can run ArmA (its all I have time playing at the moment and I'm pretty fine with it) perfectly fine and maybe some other games (starcraft II, diablo 3, and eventually Empire Total War).

Hit me up with any good suggestion bamboo, im open. I just dont want (and can't afford) spending 700$

The BigC

Comment

$500 is quite possibly the very least a new rig could cost you, bare-bones. Tell me what you want to run ArmA on (Low, Med, Hi), and how much you're WILLING to spend, maximum.

PS: Your CPU would have to go, too. The Pentium 4s are terrible.

Comment

X- check your PM's

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here is what I came up with at NCIX, a Canadian retailer, something I prefer over New egg as you will pay duty and taxes from New egg. Secondly NCIX is in BC so you only pay one tax, fast shipping.

Ram:
                  http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...2&promoid=1014

Video card:
                  http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...2&promoid=1014

Motherboard (open for debate :row__593: )
                  http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29705

CPU:
                  http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27784

Total is $468.86 BUT the video card and ram have mail in rebates for $30 a piece so your down to $408.86. Not bad, only a little outside your budget but will be leaps and bounds ahead of your upgraded computer in all areas! Of course when Arma2 comes out and you need more muscle you upgrade the video card at that time if you want. Or up your current budget and go for a ATI 4850 ($190 currently).

The prices here will change as allot of the rebates are only good until the end of the month. The CPU if bundled with that motherboard drops its price by about $15.

Comment

Either my motherboard and my video card busted in my desktop rig...definitely time for a new one!
                    Thanks for the quick tips guys! keep em coming...

im so effing lost with all of this hardware...unbelievable!

The BigC

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X