Regarding Addon Legality On Server 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Addon Legality On Server 2

Although Server 2 is advertised as a no-addon server, it is (or at least has been in the past) accepted practice for players to put client-side addons into their stock ArmA addons folder to bypass this restriction. For the most part, it usually results in some moaning when an error message pops up after someone uses a function that other clients don't have access to, but I've never seen anyone be kicked for, banned for, or talked to, about any mods they may be using.

My question is that although server 2 is an addon-restricted server, is putting mods in the stock addon folder and bypassing this restriction legal (in terms of TG SOP & rules)? I ask this because I stumbled upon a mod that realistically mimics the ability to adjust rifle scopes using minute-of-arc changes, and it's something I'd like to use on server 2. I am positive it would have no adverse effects on the server or on other players (it is strictly a client-side addon that would amount to others seeing me slowly raise my rifle in-game), but I want to make sure here first.

Despite my own personal reasons, I think that any answers provided here would help clarify the entire situation as a whole. Are addons legal fare? If not, why? Are they considered "cheating", are you worried about server or client instability?

Thanks in advance,

-Scope

Re: Regarding Addon Legality On Server 2

TG allows whatever client side addons on Server 1 so as to allows users to have the ultimate experience they desire with certian additional enhancements.

The design for server 2 is to restrict it so as to allow smoother gameplay for all to be had. I understand there are things that can be done to circumvent this, however, if caught I will remove you from the server. The rest of the players on server 2 choose to forsake certian enhancements for the better gameplay. You are only ruining it for the fellow gamer by finding some work around. I am constantly trying to keep up on how to keep the server vanilla plus I can see if someone tries to connect with a MOD. As far as the question of cheating, it should be more of a guilt thing because the only one who looses is the other players online who suffer with people trying connect with MODs.

Now I have the ability to literally make it impossible to connect with anything but the stock everything that came with the game. I do not see the value in doing that for certian things like markers and the sort. But if I were to do that, it would add a serious drain on the server every time someone connects because it would verify all client files as you attempt to connect.

But all in all, very good questions and I hope you do not take it personal, just a brief explanation as to why it is the way it is.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Hi BigC.
      Just thinking out loud here and not sure if this is part of the same topic but here goes.

I play on a UK server where some special missions are set up.
      They call for some mods/ special kit etc to be downloaded.
      Mando Rockets - a sandbag fix - editor update but none of these I think work on the TG server so I assume I gain no advantage or kill the server.

Am I understanding this correctly???

I do get some odd messages flash up saying I haven't got something or other but you just hit the ok key and all's well tp continue.

If I have to remove things like this from my game I'm not sure I'd no where to find them so I would need some guidence there.

Cheers
      "I like a man who grins when he fights"
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

BigC,

Of course I don't take anything here personally; I appreciate your response, and even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, I completely understand and agree with your reasoning. Cheers!

-Scope

PS: Barnaby, if you have addons installed in your ArmA game, they will be located in ArmA\Addons, or ArmA\@XXX, where XXX is the name of the mod.

Comment

Ahh cheers m8
          Like your Sig reading your post its a play on Scope but shows a targeting graticle instead of the O, clever.
          "I like a man who grins when he fights"
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It was strange. I filtered for "tactical" so that I could find the TG servers, and Server 2 had a red X next to it. Now, I wasn't running any mods at the time, so I was wondering what was wrong. Clicked join, put in this password, and up came "Bad version. Connection rejected."

I exited ArmA, wondering what was causing this. I loaded up my ArmA Launcher and noticed only the DBE1 folder, which is the mod folder that includes stuff from Queen's Gambit (the ArmA "expansion"), was activated. I deactivated that, and it worked fine.

My question is: is there a reason for Queen's Gambit not being allowed on that server? If a mission is created without using Queen's Gambit, no error messages will pop up and the mission won't crash. Perhaps it was overlooked?

Keep in mind that Queen's Gambit is installed into the DBE1 folder and can only be used as a mod folder. Thanks guys.

Comment

The restriction on server 2 is clear-cutting, and there isn't some master list of restricted mods: ANY mods will trigger the giant X, not just specific ones.

Comment

Good news guys.
                Might want to read BigC's post here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ml#post1076967

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Looking forward to the changes! Hopefully this doesn't tamper with server stability, but I appreciate the open approach with server 2! Let's see how it plays out. Thanks again!

Comment

Hopefully this will also help a bit with server stability as well.
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I was wondering why everyone was able to join with all these mods yesterday and almost was going to post in the contact an admin forum until I re-read the server name :icon_lol:

I have to say that I really enjoyed being able to use some mods for a change. I don't know what the long term effects will be for the server but if you want to limit certain mods or the amount of mods per client, we could create a gentlemans/gentlewomans agreement to do so and have people digitally sign it?

Again this is only if stability is an issue and to keep stability via limiting certain mods would help?

Comment

I have a question. Could TrueMods (the HUD modification only) be allowed on Server 2? I have problems with the vanilla HUD/interface setup because it just really covers up too much of the screen. Especially the GPS.
                        Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

All mods are now allowed on server 2, sir.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X