Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maps/targets etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maps/targets etc

    I was on yesterday playing some and learning more controls. Thanks btw to Nixon for helping out and being patient.

    I got the rudementary infantry controls down and was able to get some kills in. It was fun!

    But i'm really confused about the map and where targets are. I have a compass and watch, and i keep seeing contact reports on the screen, but i can't really find out how to pinpoint them. Can anyone help me out? Or is it useless and eye-contact only?

    Other than that, i find this game very enjoyable! Although you need proper leadership to decide missions and lead troops, if not it's just chaos. But that means we'll need to step it up gentlemen :)




  • #2
    Re: Maps/targets etc

    There's no special HUD element to help you see enemy contacts, but there are several tools you can use to pinpoint baddies:

    -use your map. Unless you're playing on Veteran mode, every time a target is spotted, a marker is added to your map. Open your map with (M), and look for red icons signifying enemy presence.

    -use your compass. Ask for the bearing of a target, then line your compass bearing to match. Tango ahead!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Maps/targets etc

      Yeah Superfast your Leadership point is absolutely so true.

      My prob here in the UK is one of needing to be some what quiet as my wife goes to bed early which knocks me out from voip/ts.

      I try to stay with just messaging which is not totally in there with taking control of things.

      I look for a good strong leader and react to him by carrying out his orders as that is far simplier than me trying to whisper out commands.
      "I like a man who grins when he fights"
      Sir Winston Churchill


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Maps/targets etc

        Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
        There's no special HUD element to help you see enemy contacts, but there are several tools you can use to pinpoint baddies:

        -use your map. Unless you're playing on Veteran mode, every time a target is spotted, a marker is added to your map. Open your map with (M), and look for red icons signifying enemy presence.

        -use your compass. Ask for the bearing of a target, then line your compass bearing to match. Tango ahead!
        Ok thanks, i guess i still have some learning to do. :)

        Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
        Yeah Superfast your Leadership point is absolutely so true.

        My prob here in the UK is one of needing to be some what quiet as my wife goes to bed early which knocks me out from voip/ts.

        I try to stay with just messaging which is not totally in there with taking control of things.

        I look for a good strong leader and react to him by carrying out his orders as that is far simplier than me trying to whisper out commands.
        I have the same situation here mate, so i can't stay up late weekdays. However on weekends i move the computer into the kitchen and play there until 3 am. It's great, it's also where all the beer is! :madsmile:



        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Maps/targets etc

          It depends what your talking about for contacts.

          You have button to reveal target or call out contact, defualt I believe is holding down right mouse button? What happens is if you put your sights over an enemy and hit this button you will call out the contact. I have had lots of times where I have "called a contact" and have no idea what it is, nor could I see it. Sometimes it will be an infantry man, prone at 500m and I need my bino's to see him. Secondary is sometimes you will call out your own teamates as un-known man at 100m, very annoying.

          The other thing is when other people in your group or radio channel call out contacts. You could be 5 km away but if your in the same group or radio channel you will get the contact reports. Confusing when seperated from your squad.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Maps/targets etc

            Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
            You have button to reveal target or call out contact, defualt I believe is holding down right mouse button? What happens is if you put your sights over an enemy and hit this button you will call out the contact. I have had lots of times where I have "called a contact" and have no idea what it is, nor could I see it. Sometimes it will be an infantry man, prone at 500m and I need my bino's to see him. Secondary is sometimes you will call out your own teamates as un-known man at 100m, very annoying.
            I would advise against using that automatic calling out of targets. And I also would advise removing that function from the right mouse button, since "zooming in" is on the same button so it happens you might call out unwanted.

            This way of calling out enemies is imho a bad thing for two reasons: First, it clutters the communication (even though only group channel) to quite some degree. And second, what is called out rarely helps to spot the enemy. When you move in your squad, rather just use direct comms. Call out "Contacts", then a bearing and what you spotted. It won't make other comms (coming from command for example) unreadable and will make your SL's life easier. Through use of direct comms he can hear where you are in his group and can quickly get over to you to have a look by himself. Also for the other members of the team, it's easier to follow your bearing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Maps/targets etc

              If this is the case, this is one of the most annoying features of Arma for me, when contacts are continually called out just becasue you are zoomed in looking for things. It almost blocks the comms at times.

              As of now I am going to unbind that feature, as I also find it a bit of a cheat when a target is called out that cannot even see. I would encourage all to do the same.

              Best
              BD1
              BlackDog1




              "What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Maps/targets etc

                I think there is more than just the right mouse button binding to calling out targets. I have completely removed that function from my keys and still I call out targets once in a while. But I have no clue why or how to stop that. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great, because I would really like to get rid of it completely.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Maps/targets etc

                  Originally posted by bert View Post
                  I think there is more than just the right mouse button binding to calling out targets. I have completely removed that function from my keys and still I call out targets once in a while. But I have no clue why or how to stop that. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great, because I would really like to get rid of it completely.

                  That is a server setting ... Autospot = 1;

                  Turning it to Autospot = 0; gets rid of it. Nothing you can do client side to stop it .. well I guess you could look at the ground all day ..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Maps/targets etc

                    Originally posted by bert View Post
                    I think there is more than just the right mouse button binding to calling out targets. I have completely removed that function from my keys and still I call out targets once in a while. But I have no clue why or how to stop that. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great, because I would really like to get rid of it completely.
                    It happens in Single Player as well. The computer decides that you must have spotted the target your looking at but it hasn't been called out. It usually only happens when you are very close to the target and looking right at it, or if it's something big like a tank.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Maps/targets etc

                      This is exactly why i posted. I noticed lots of contact reports and thought i was missing something. But if it's just spam, we could turn it off?



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Maps/targets etc

                        I don't know if there is anything else connected to setting autospot to 0, but if there isn't, I would find it a *very* good thing if autospot was shut off. Who has to be contacted for that request? TheBigC?

                        And while we are at disabling features: Maybe disable the scoreboard as well? :-)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Maps/targets etc

                          If it's the audio side of the contact reports that bothers you, it's very simple to get a radio replacement mod that will effectively "turn off" all the robotic AI voice stuff. You can download one version here. I've been using that since the start (WGL for OFP had something similar), it's great.

                          As to the comments about changing server options... nospot is a good one to disable, but as long as you're at it, it would make sense to turn kill messages off for "Veteran". Scoreboards, well.. I prefer them off, but considering the nature of the TG server, it might be wiser to keep them on for Cadet and turn them off for Veteran. Along those lines, I'm still not sure why Vet on TG has VON ID's and tags off. I've yet to see that cause anything positive - it seems to only result in cluttered comms, looser teamwork, and unnecessary confusion.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Maps/targets etc

                            Originally posted by bert View Post
                            I don't know if there is anything else connected to setting autospot to 0, but if there isn't, I would find it a *very* good thing if autospot was shut off. Who has to be contacted for that request? TheBigC?

                            And while we are at disabling features: Maybe disable the scoreboard as well? :-)
                            I second that, and Dsylexci's point about name tags too. I also think we could remove map markers too and make it the players priority to use the map to mark targets as the "magic marker" is too much of a cheat.
                            Jex.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Maps/targets etc

                              Originally posted by jex View Post
                              I second that, and Dsylexci's point about name tags too. I also think we could remove map markers too and make it the players priority to use the map to mark targets as the "magic marker" is too much of a cheat.
                              I agree ... it ruins Team vs. Team when the enemy "shows up" on the map .. or you can just check your scoreboard to see if that RPG team in the house was killed or not ... it removes a VERY large uncertainty that is necessary for a good Team vs. Team game.

                              And no, we can't just set it to Veteran for Team vs. Team because it is 10x worse with the kill messages ...

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X