Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool Sniper Addon (with video demonstration!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Sniper Addon (with video demonstration!)

Hey fellas, I've been playing on your server for the past couple days and I thought I'd share this with the community. It's an addon for ArmA that allows you to make sight adjustments with your rifles. I've been messing around with it today, and I wrote up some range cards for the M24, M107 and the M4SPR.

Basically, you can adjust the MOA on your optics so that you dont have to "lob" your shots visually at far ranges. I've managed to snipe targets at up to 1400 meters pretty consistently using this add-on. I created a video to show you guys what I'm talking about.

I don't have 15 posts, so I can't post the link to the video yet. However, if one of you can search youtube for "sniper demonstration arma", you'll find it. It's titled "Rahul's Sniper Demonstration". If you could link it for me, that would be great! I would link you the downloads for this, but again I can't. The name of the map I used is called "Sniper shooting range". The name of the add-on is "SightAdjustment".

The ranges of those targets and the MOA adjustments are in the youtube video description. I'll post up my range cards tomorrow, I've gotta get up at 0400 so I should probably hit the rack. Let me know what you guys think!
    Last edited by Thindian; 09-05-2008, 03:46 AM.

"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Re: Cool Sniper Addon (with video demonstration!)

Welcome to the forum, server, and community sir! Let me be the first to extend to you an official TG hug or handshake (your choice, but I'm wearing a very cozy sweater).

I've made several posts about GJM's Sight Adjustment (I'm pretty banal when it comes to bullet physics), and it really makes long-range warfare feel all the more realistic.

Your YouTube video is here.

PS: Real men use mil!

Comment

That's impressive. I'll have to look into that. It will be certainly very useful, since I lack any real understanding of sniping.
      Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

Hmm, not bad. I've gotten too used to regular sniping though.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
        Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
        Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

So far I really like the mod, nothing beats the feeling of sitting at 1.6km and sniping the SLA till they cry...

Comment

Originally posted by Parabe11um View Post
            So far I really like the mod, nothing beats the feeling of sitting at 1.6km and sniping the SLA till they cry...
            However it is shooting ducks in a barrel since they AI have no defence against it and don't retaliate making it an extrremely easy task to carry out, placing the user in no danger and requiring little skill to accomplish.

If all the other affects of sniping where modelled (i.e. wind, humidity, etc) and the AI didn't warp-skip at distance, it might actually be a challenge but in it's present condition, it's just sitting on a hill and pressing fire. This is the case in most cases and turns what in reality is a highly skilled profession into something that requires practically no skill at all.

As you can probably tell, I'm not to keen on snipers as in game as they tend to do there own thing and ruin it for those working as a team to take an objective and to quote an arma "sniper"

You guys wait until I've shot everything I can then you can go in and clean up.
            Try hitting a moving target at 400m with an iron site if you want a challenge, or getting into a town for some CQB. Having someone sat out of harms way pressing a mouse button kind of ruins it for those people working as a team as the sniper racks up kills and takes away the work the assault team were looking forward to.
            Jex.

Comment

In most games, the sniper role encourages lone wolfing or the mentality of that quote Jex found. At best a designated marksman role can be useful, but in most coop missions the sniper is an excuse for someone to pad their stats without taking risk. Very few players can "roleplay" the sniper and function with the unit.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                However it is shooting ducks in a barrel since they AI have no defence against it and don't retaliate making it an extrremely easy task to carry out, placing the user in no danger and requiring little skill to accomplish.

If all the other affects of sniping where modelled (i.e. wind, humidity, etc) and the AI didn't warp-skip at distance, it might actually be a challenge but in it's present condition, it's just sitting on a hill and pressing fire. This is the case in most cases and turns what in reality is a highly skilled profession into something that requires practically no skill at all.

As you can probably tell, I'm not to keen on snipers as in game as they tend to do there own thing and ruin it for those working as a team to take an objective and to quote an arma "sniper"

Try hitting a moving target at 400m with an iron site if you want a challenge, or getting into a town for some CQB. Having someone sat out of harms way pressing a mouse button kind of ruins it for those people working as a team as the sniper racks up kills and takes away the work the assault team were looking forward to.
                I frequently play sniper and I never engage enemies unless my CO or SL tells me too. Just because some people lack the grace to follow orders does not mean everyone who picks up a sniper rifle does.

Also, while yes in a way the ai reacts badly, I have not seen players react that much better when shot at from far away. If you as a sniper are engaging enemies who are ready then you are doing something wrong be it against players or ai.
                It is a role that focuses on recon and long range support and attacks of opportunity.

I find it rather simplisitc to say that because you are out of harms(sometimes not always) way it is not a class that requires skill. Not every role in this game is about getting as close to your enemy as possible or being in a vulenerable position. I would say try hitting the ai at ranges over 1.5km while they are moving or when you need to eliminate a high value target(gl, mg, etc) before your squad gets mowed down using 1 round or at worst 2 per target and tell me its shooting fish in a barrel.

Its like every game, a sniper can either be a noob with a scoped rifle who just runs in racks up kills and violates every doctorin for teamwork or sniping or it can be someone who provides recon and valuable support for his squad. The same however can be said for any kit. There are those who charge into CQB and just unload a clip or two, get some ai/player kills and then die doing essentially nothing for their team. So I feel it matters more how you play your kit not what that kit is.

I advise you gents to go play in an organized mission with a sniper/marksman who follows orders. Judging a class by those who basically abuse it does not seem very fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Parabe11um View Post

I advise you gents to go play in an organized mission with a sniper/marksman who follows orders. Judging a class by those who basically abuse it does not seem very fair.
                  Name a mission that realistically implements some sort of sniper role ... haven't played one yet.

That is a completely unfair statement ... are we supposed to assume all people with sniper rifles are the perfect sniper? No, REALITY is, MOST of the people with sniper rifles SUCK at it.

That is why I don't like snipers. Sure, there are some good snipers out there ... but they aren't the ones who will instantly grab the spot.

I agree with Jex here. Unless someone wants to design a good sniper mission, I am going to stick with the no snipers please" sentiment.

Comment

I am not suggesting we assume all people can even adequately use a sniper rifle however, I find it redunt to remove the entire kit because not everyone can use it. Are we supposed to remove all armor because some people are terrible using it. What about CQB, some people lack any tactics or skill when entering an urban atmosphere, does that mean we remove it from the game?

I am not saying it needs to be in every mission or should always be used but labeling it as unnecsary and classing it as a lonewolf kit with no teamwork uses would be like saying air support had no value in a mission/for a team because it can clear out an entire city by itself when used properly.

I am not really sure what you mean as a realistic implementation of a sniper role...
                    Obviously it will never be exactly realistic, but I do not see what is so unrealistic with attaching a sniper per squad ala High Mountains. You leave your sniper in an overwath position and voila you have recon and long range support or high value target removal. At some point we have to realize while ARMA may be a great simulation/game/etc it will never and should never be exactly like the real thing.

Comment

Some people this may help but who has the time to take out to make the adjustments while in game? If I am shooting at a target with the M107 I can almost hit it in the first 2 bullets, if not then a third may be needed at a long distance. I was shooting enemies at about 1300M away with the M107 last night, I usually take a pop shot to get an idea of where the first bullet is hitting and then move up or down as needed. If a person is usually far enough away the enemy have no idea of where you are at so no problems getting shot.
                      I can also do fairly good with the M24 but the M4SPR I think is a joke. This weapon is so underpowered at a distance that it usually requires 3 bullets to take down an enemy unless you do get a head shot. Of course I love sniping and do a lot of it in game. Only time I don't is when I first start out in a server and you have to earn enough points to get the sniper rifles. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside with any of the M16 rifles. Burst really helps out though, spray enough and bullets and one should hit the target.

Yeah, realistically a sniper can make the adjustment to the scope that may be needed but also if they come down to it they need to have a good idea of how that gun will shoot at different distances that aren't to far apart from the main target so they can take them down as well.

Edit:
                      if snipers do their job as they are supposed to in game then the game can be a very enjoyable experience. If they sit back and do what they want, when they want then it tends to get frustrating. In any game, ArmA, PR, BF2 whatever. On most servers though there is no teamwork or at least very minimal teamwork at the best. So if I do play on different servers that is what I play as.
                      Last edited by msdz; 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean to spark any arguments with my post, I just wanted to share a cool addon with everyone. I'm not one of those super-lonewolf snipers that runs around being an idiot. However, I do think it's unfair to disregard a whole class of warrior just because a lot of people fail at being effective as a team-based element. I put a lot of importance in scout sniper teams, they can easily make or break a mission. Just yesterday we were doing a TVT mission (I forgot the name) in which our team had to blow up a bridge and capture an HQ. We had a recon element that would observe and report at long distances. They had vanilla M16s, but if they had the long range power of an m107, the game would have ended very differently.

If you're really going for real life realism, then you should be focused on your team winning, not how many kills you're getting.

EDIT: I don't mean to take anything away from CQB, because that's where my heart's at. I'm a CQB instructor here in southern California (assistant instructor at the moment...).

"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Comment

I think people are missing the disagreement. It is not the kit, but the lack of an actual use for the kit in most missions(even if it is available). Scout Snipers is about the only mission I can think of that actual is meant to play out like a sniper mission. Most other missions that include snipers, there is no need because of the limitations of the A.I. response. A single sniper can take out squad after squad with no worries about repercussions or the enemy using cover leaving all other players with nothing to do. It is one of those times where people need to step back and remember it is a simulation game and not a perfect recreation of a real situation.

It's about having fun and using teamwork. No one has a problem with a recon sniper calling out troop movements. However, couldn't a foot soldier with binocs do to the same thing?
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

It's about having fun and using teamwork. No one has a problem with a recon sniper calling out troop movements. However, couldn't a foot soldier with binocs do to the same thing?
                            The foot soldier with Binocs could not bring accurate long range fire in support of his squad when the bad guys show up from an unexpected direction, or on order from his squad leader eliminate that pesky MG Gunner that has the squad ducking for cover.
                            Last edited by Dodger; 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM.
                            Someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger View Post
                              The foot soldier with Binocs could not bring accurate long range fire in support of his squad when the bad guys show up from an unexpected direction, or on order from his squad leader eliminate that pesky MG Gunner that has the squad ducky for cover.
                              No one is debating the practical application of snipers. We have the luxury of playing a sim game that the missions are pre-scripted. Most of the missions that include sniper rifles as an option, it is unnecessary to use that option or the players that typically choose that option have a tendency to do what you said, "Eliminate the officer, then the pesky gunner, then those troops at long range, oh that guy looks dangerous, he looks like he might suppress you so I'll get him, etc" until there is very little left. Yes, it makes it easier and safer to eliminate certain targets at range, but for game purposes of the things you mentioned only the MG is a practical use for the group as a whole. Eliminating an enemy squad leader in coop missions means nothing(unless scripted and noted in the mission briefing), long range fire does nothing but let you pick off targets that do not seek cover or return fire properly.

Look at it this way, a sniper to 99.9% of coop infantry based missions is like including an A-10 and cobra in every convoy elimination mission. Sure it is a realistic tactic and very effective to have close air support, but if the mission is not specifically designed to challenge the pilot or limit the effectiveness it might as well be a single player mission. Like I mentioned before, certain missions(Scout Snipers) are sniper missions and great. The mission requires long range shots on high priority targets, but it is not meant for 10 people in a coop environment.

Back to the original topic, I love the mod suggested. I have used it in the past with any kind of scoped rifle. The whole ballistics package you can add with it is great as well. I did have some issue with the range cards saving and since I usually prefer open or iron sights I just removed the mod.
                              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...