Nice to see praise from Petraeus!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to see praise from Petraeus!

The SAS has helped to defeat a murderous web of al-Qaeda car bombers in Baghdad that brought devastation to the capital, the top US commander in Iraq said yesterday as he heaped praise on the unit’s efforts.

General David Petraeus, who is due to leave his post in Iraq shortly, also dismissed the notion that American and British military relations had been strained by the recent offensive in Basra, emphasising that the problem of tackling militias in the southern port city had been rightfully Iraqi-led.

The four-star general, looking ahead to his next posting in charge of Central Command, said he would draw on lessons learnt from his four years in Iraq on how to fight an insurgency when tackling his new area of responsibility, which includes Afghanistan, Iran, Syria and Lebanon.

He said that Britain’s special forces in Iraq worked alongside their American counterparts on “many, many cases of very important operations".
    “They have helped immensely in the Baghdad area, in particular, to take down the al-Qaeda car bomb networks and other al-Qaeda operations in Iraq’s capital city, so they have done a phenomenal job in that regard,” he told The Times in an interview at his office in Baghdad’s fortified green zone.

On one occasion, SAS troops rented a pink pickup truck, stripped off their body armour to blend in better with the local population, jumped behind the wheel and drove through the traffic to catch a key target.

“It was brilliant, actually,” General Petraeus said. “Who dares wins,” he said, quoting the SAS motto. “They have exceptional initiative, exceptional skill, exceptional courage and, I think, exceptional savvy. I can’t say enough about how impressive they are in thinking on their feet.”

The SAS has had at least two squadrons in Baghdad, operating alongside their American counterpart, Delta Force, and other elements of the American special forces.

Their principal role is to track down al-Qaeda, still seen as the biggest threat to stability in Iraq, and catch would-be suicide bombers.

They are also engaged in hunting for hostages, including the five Britons who were seized from a Finance Ministry building in Baghdad in May last year.

One SAS soldier, named at an inquest as Nicholas Brown, 34, was killed in a firefight in Baghdad with Shia fighters in March. He is understood to have been part of a snatch squad sent to arrest a senior militia commander that ran into an ambush.

About ten members of British special forces have been killed in Iraq since the 2003 invasion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No wonder Gogeta has been sulking.....seems our boys stole his pink pick-up!
    ;)

BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Nice to see praise from Petraeus!

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
    No wonder Gogeta has been sulking.....seems our boys stole his pink pick-up!
    Its not the pick-up he's upset about...his favorite dress was in that truck! :D
    | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
      Its not the pick-up he's upset about...his favorite dress was in that truck! :D
      sonofa*****!!!!!!! I knew it!!! damnit. All that time sneaking around your moms house to get it ... for NOTHING!!! :row__628:
      Dizlor

Comment

Worked with Brits and Auzzie SAS when I was in the Green Zone. And what a great group of gentleman soldiers. Whereas our US SF and Black Water acted like cowboys with a third leg the above mentioned mates were a real joy working with.

But I'd be very careful how much praise you give GEN DaveyP! He is still a Clinton general and is not a soldier's general at all.

Comment

Originally posted by HAZMAT View Post
          But I'd be very careful how much praise you give GEN DaveyP! He is still a Clinton general and is not a soldier's general at all.
          Hehehe I know mate, was just nice to see some recog from a US General other than Big Norm....

For me personally, the man shall always be and will remain....THE MAN...step forward...... General Sir Peter Edgar de la Couer de la Billière!!!!

A true Soldiers General and one of the nicest commanders I ever met/served! Yet "Harder than the proverbial coffin nail"

:D
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

His autobiography is awe inspiring, that man has done so much, i particularly loved the early stuff, Aden and the old empire days, maybe that is the old romantic in me though....Also that speach he made a few years ago on the TV, was a cracker!

Comment

Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire!! Amazing!

Are his books good reads?

Also I saw that he was head honcho during the Iranian Embassy Siege which my father was also a part of! We had lived in Tehran since '72 since my father was working for a 3 letter US agency. We (the family) were on one of the early birds out when the uprising started but my father was still in the embassy when the students attacked.

Comment

I personally found his book a cracking read, and i would advise all who get the chance to pick it up!

Also, when are you 13th guys goig to make an appearace in ArmA?!

Comment

I can and will start cat herding some of those guys to come try a true tactical sim.

What would be a good time and day of the week to do some walkthrus for some of these guys who are more accustomed to quick twitch first person shooters?

Comment

Usually find the server fill up around 12.30 GMT, so what ever that is to you,lol! It normally runs Domination, which is a persistant mission, meaing people can do main stuff, or smaller side missions, there is respawn, and you get to play with the cool toys. When it fills up however, we usually switch it to some Team vsTeam, or Coop, and thats when the realism really starts to play!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X