TG.. Map?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG.. Map?

Recently we have begun to allow the operation of third party maps on the TG server. This offers some diversity both for mission makers and players. And certainly a lot of hard work has gone into the development of these maps. They each offer some unique opportunities. Uhao has step interior mountains and picturesque shore-side roads. While Avangi offers intense urban combat in a middle eastern setting.
    But what about a map designed specifically for the unique needs of TG? One with diverse settings from urban to agricultural to woodlands. One which offers chances for small unit training, infantry movements and combined arms including boats, rotary craft, fixed-wing aircraft and armor. I guess my question is, what is exactly involved in creating a map? Documentation seems thin, what tools are necessary? What do people want in their ideal map?

Re: TG.. Map?

Good idea Sam!

For the during week - 30 minute to 2 hour - missions we don't need a map the size of the stock one to cover.

My initial thoughts would be to set up areas or zones that cater to a certain scenario. That way we could have users create missions in certain areas of the maps based on what they need.

However as I started writting out my ideas I realised that's to limiting and after a few missions we would be bored with it.

The beatifull thing about the stock map is that it has some diversity and enough towns to keep mixing things up.

I would think something similar to stock but not as large. I would like to see more fortified locations to attack. Something like a small forward operating base with sand bags and wire but then some more large scale items like a whole air port with sand bags wire, watch towers etc.

Perhaps a more complicated city would be nice to work with as well? Most of the "Cities" are really actually small. If we had a large city that had a look to it of already being under attack (burnt buildings, debris etc.) that could be used in a variety of ways.

I would also like to see some more missions based on destroying objectives. As such adding in more substantial bridges with defensive structures or Communication towers with defensive structures would be nice.

These are all just ramblings really. I think that if someone sat down and just made medium sized map with a few islands around it that looked realistic and believable then the missions could flow from there. :row1_14:

Comment

If you were to get into "island" creation, I would request a REAL map.

Just take an area of a country (European, Middle Eastern, North American, whatever) and get a Google Earth image of it and make it as close to reality as possible. Fortifications can be made in the mission.

Make the road network intelligent, make the town/village/city layout as it actually is. Who cares if in the whole 30x30km area, you only have 2 major "towns", as long as those towns are done realistically, it would be awesome.

It may just be my bias (go living in flat-country), but avoiding extreme elevation changes would be nice. It is too easy to exploit the AI with huge hills and ridges, when everything is on roughly the same height, the AI has a much easier time, and makes for better missions.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
        ... avoiding extreme elevation changes would be nice. It is too easy to exploit the AI with huge hills and ridges, when everything is on roughly the same height, the AI has a much easier time, and makes for better missions.
        Excellent point! Do everything possible to make the mission difficult (but please, no night maps).
        sigpic

Comment

E-male, I am referring to constructing an island, similar to Sahrani and Uhao, not a specific mission. Although that certainly is an understandable confusion.

But the main sticking point so far is.... where to even begin? Is there a guide? Some tools? Anything? (Google yields little help thus far).

found something: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/V...l#Introduction

Comment

Guys,

This is already being created by some and as admins we are already looking at "opportunities" with these map makers. One such map is an "actual" island mapped and detailed exactly as the original.

Little steps though please people. We are making a few changes, see how these go and then go on to bigger and better things.

I can assure you from the conversations I have had so far with map makers, it is a HUGE task and one which takes a long time to get right. Most of them taking up to and beyond 6 months of careful creation.

BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
              Guys,

I can assure you from the conversations I have had so far with map makers, it is a HUGE task and one which takes a long time to get right. Most of them taking up to and beyond 6 months of careful creation.

BD1
              So what your saying is you "guys" should have started a few months ago? Whats the frig'n hold up, lets go people I want a new map :row__590:

After playing a bit last night and thinking more on it I think our main focus should be a map that caters to small unit tactics. We rarely see over 20 players on, usually closer to 10-15. That may have more to do with the missions themselves but some consideration could be given to it?

Another thing that I hate is the severe lack of cover in game. I'm tired of having huge expanses of land with only 3 rocks to hide behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                Another thing that I hate is the severe lack of cover in game. I'm tired of having huge expanses of land with only 3 rocks to hide behind.
                Have you seen pictures of Afghanistan?

:D

Its rocks rocks and more rocks! oh and the occasion "dung" building that would no more protect than a cotton candy space suit!

But yes I get ya point! :)

BD1
                BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

a cotton candy space suit!
                  omg i have to have one :P

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                  So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

cotton candy space suit!
                    Mmmm, cotton candy all over my private parts...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                    The BigC

Comment

oh dear god why, WHY!?

Comment

Have you seen pictures of Afghanistan?

:D

Its rocks rocks and more rocks! oh and the occasion "dung" building that would no more protect than a cotton candy space suit!

But yes I get ya point! :)

BD1
                        Yes - some fallen trees, tree stumps, ditches, etc (a la vietcong) would be a really good addition to maps so we actually have some cover, rather that concealment.
                        Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X