I Danced When the PL Died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Danced When the PL Died

I just spent an hour as PL on a map. I died in the last 4 minutes due to moving up too fast (my own error). After the map ended an individual (who will remain nameless) was heard to say in game chat 'We danced in the tank when E-Male died.'

I was greatly dismayed to see this poor sportsmanship (gamesmanship). The individual did not have a TG tag, but he was in an admin role (he is not one of TG admin's). I think he felt hard done by as he expected to roll into town in a tank or a helo and blow stuff up.

I have never seen such meanspiritness in a TG game.
    sigpic

Re: I Danced When the PL Died

After you left, I asked him to relinquish his admin. Told him how (#logout) and when he asked why, I gave him the truth - he displayed poor sportsmanship and was not a good reflection on TG. He went silent and quit the server a few moments later. No loss there. Unfortunately, before that, a number of players quit the server due to his attitude and admin status.

When it comes to a public ArmA server, the admin password should ideally be distributed amongst as many trustworthy people as possible. Examples that stood out in that incident would be E-Male and beta - both will obviously not exploit that power, and when it comes down to it, there's nothing really malicious that you can do with that admin privilege, anyway. The alternative is voting in a new admin, but unfortunately that tends to prove difficult at times.

As to this trouble player, there were several signs of his poor sportsmanship prior to that. He wanted to fly the Cobra - PltCo (E-Male) said no, no Cobra. He then quite literally whined about it. During the mission, he continually complained about not being "in the fight" despite the fact that his tank was being used appropriately considering the mission parameters and commander's intent.

By comparison, another player (sorry that I don't recall your name) joined up, and without knowing that the Cobra was off-limits, picked that slot. When told that the Cobra was a no-go and that he needed to be infantry, he complied - as any player on the server should. He was an example of how things best work, whereas this other joker was a prime example of the type of "Me, me, me!" attitude that sours the experience for all involved. The post-game bragging that Mr. Tanker did was not at all in keeping with the TG spirit.

Comment

i joined as he made the comment about dancing when e-male died.
      not the first time hes acted like that however.

-airdrop
      Last edited by xave; 10-11-2008, 03:18 AM. Reason: wrong account

Comment

Well, that is truly unfortunate. I apologize for the clowns that decide they cannot control their mouth that sometime play here. That is not the way TG member should ever act or behave. We pride ourselves on being consummate mature gamers and when fools like that disrupt our little world, it is bothersome.

As for you E-Male, I appreciate your respect for their privacy, but I have no patience for them. I if eventually find out who did it, not only will I ban them I will also make sure their name gets posted so people understand we take this seriously.

The Big C -sends
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

E-Male, I am so sorry someone took that attitude with you, as I consider you and most other PL,SL, and Admins very important to the overall time spent on the TG servers. I was very surprised that the admin last night even had that status, and it eventually played out to the very fruits of poor sportsmanship. I left last night for other reasons than a poor admin, but I have been on before with him and couldn't stand the constant urging, on his part to fly a cobra, even after the PL stated that we will not need one, and he continued to badger and complain throughout the rest of the mission.(Excedrin headache #69)

Anyhow, E-Male, just carry on in the same manner that you have been doing so well at. Don't let this get to you or discourage you. Those, who are out front like you, will have some insects (little pest) stuck in their front grill. You have been quick to step up, quick to lead, quick to adapt, and quick to learn, so I have chosen to be quick to support you.

BSR_SARGE

Comment

Thats a shame E-male. Very few people step up to take SL or PL, something I see you do often. It's a highly important but thankless job. You typically play conservatively, approaching the mission with a high regard for your teams "lives". That is appreciated by myself and others here. I'm as pumped up as the next guy and love to get into the fight but we all know that ArmA can be hugely rewarding without firing more then a few shots.

Keep up the good work and whom ever is the a$$hat in question, please find another server suited to your tastes.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I should have confronted him directly about his attitude at that moment. I know that such behaviour is not what TG promotes and the Admins and members do an excellent job of keeping the servers clean.

I was taking a bit too long at the opening of that round to get things going but was pleased to have Viper and Dyslexci as SLs. I did something I will consider doing more often as PL. After I laid down an initial battle plan I called the SLs into a conference to examin the plan and suggest improvements. This proved to be very fruitful. I will improve upon this process by explaining, very briefly, to the platoon that a command briefing is in progress and all comms are to go silent (interruptions just prolong the affair).

I did keep Alpha squad waiting some time while Bravo moved into positions of superior oversight, but I think this is a unavoidable aspect of tactical teamwork (as I am sure most understand). A good SL can keep his men occupied in these situations by changing formation, use of recon, and so forth.

I would also like to begin a very brief in-game post analysis between maps. As PL I need more immediate feedback on how the overall process transpired.

Anyway, it is always a pleasure serving the community as PL and I appreciate the patience you show me as I learn the ropes.
              sigpic

Comment

E-male, you did a good job. I really appreciate your professionalism. Oddly enough, sometimes you are much too nice and take responsibility for other people's errors. Responsiblity is the one of the signs of a good leader, but I think your generosity is wasted on some people.

I came in as the Cobra gunner late in the game, and heard the nonstop whining from the tanker. However, as I began to grasp the overall situation of the mission, it was crystal clear the tank was being used exactly as it should have. The tank saw plenty of action, racking up the highest number of kills on the old end of game tote board, so I'm not sure what this guy wanted (I can't remember his name or I'd post it) to do. Perhaps the rest of the players should have sat in base and let the tank go gallivanting around the island on his own?

I wouldn't let it get go you, as the vast majority of us really appreciate how hard it is to lead these missions and do our best to comply with orders given. That being said, I consider Beta, Grunt and Blackdog to be great guys, but they take absolutely no guff when they lead a mission!

Also, admin power should lie in the hands of a TG member, so we can excise any cancers and move on with the fun for the rest of us.

Comment

E-Male,

Permit me to second the comments others have already made in this thread - it has been a pleasure to see you on the ArmA server here at TG.

It is indeed unfortunate that such individuals as you have mentioned make it onto the server on occasion; I feel that they are more than balanced by individuals such as have already posted in this thread.

-BoD
                  BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This is an atrocious act of ingorance. Speaking from the point of someone outside TG, I have to say, this is probably the first person I've seen to enter any TG server or event to act like that. The shame is, there will always be people like this. When things like this happen, action must be taken immediately. Any PL, no matter who, is a PL for a reason, and anyone on the server shoudl be grateful enough to show some respect. I know it's only a game, the person in question should cop onto this, and worry about his own actions, and not about what he wants to do, or what others are doing.

Sorry, but that's just the way I see it.

Mark

Comment

Although I wasn't in attendance, I think it should be noted that HELLFIRE has caused problems in the past, and to the best of my knowledge has been banned from the server more than once (most recently to my memory on Operation Gloria, with beta/blackdog as commander).

At any rate, I echo the sentiments of this thread -- E-Male, you're a great commander, and TG is certainly above such poor sportsmanship. Don't take it to heart, sir.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about one player you upset who doesn't know how to play the game anyway. Don't worry about taking too much time either. Just stepping up as PL gives you the right to take as much time as you like to get organised since most people won't do it. If they won't do it, I don't see that they have a right to complain about anything. There will always be backseat commanders who think they know better but never actually have the guts to step and and take charge. As you can tell by the posts here, your the kind of player we want here, whereas the other guy isn't :)
                          Jex.

Comment

ALOT of the blame comes down to me. Obviously I was the older player in the tank and I take full responsibility. I volunteered as m1a1 driver knowing full well the admins' past behavior and after 35 minutes of staying in a parked position with orders for "Engines Off" the banter between Gunner, Driver, and Commander became degraded to a point everyone here would agree is... inexcusable. E-mail, playing with you both as my Leader and as a Peer is a genuine treat. I appreciate your willingness to lead and your style of leadership. I cant imagine another newbie like me having as much fun unless there was someone like you, BlackDog and all the other fine leaders around... you make TG what it is.
                            I cant make excuses for what any one of us said last night in that tank except staying that long without any action led to joking and riling to keep our wits along with our morale up. One of those jokes (on my part) was in regards that the admin would not see any action.. which set a tone that I deeply regret. I should have made the call to be relieved as driver as soon as I felt things begin to deteriorate.
                            One thing is for sure. I drove that tank that night and I am sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                              Although I wasn't in attendance, I think it should be noted that HELLFIRE has caused problems in the past, and to the best of my knowledge has been banned from the server more than once (most recently to my memory on Operation Gloria, with beta/blackdog as commander)
                              Yeah I remember him he got one of the SL roles and was spamming the Side chat with un important stuff Talking in all caps and just being a bother I'm not sure if he got banned for that as I had to leave shortly after.
                              "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X