TG Teamspeak and Pilots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Teamspeak and Pilots

Unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise, I will only use pilots who have TG teamspeak (TS) available and can switch to TG's ArmA command channel for in-game comms. Command elements such as SLs and pilots should be prepared to use all available best practices such as TG's TS command channel.

It will take a while to communicate this to all of our regular pilots, but unless there is overwhelming reasons for not doing so, only those players who have TG TS enabled will be selected to be pilots when I am PL.

Obviously, I make no claim that this should be enforced as a TG SOP.

Comments please...
    sigpic

Re: TG Teamspeak and Pilots

as some one who likes to fly...i think this is a great idea
    -airdrop

Comment

Ditto that, shouldve been a requirement awhile ago; Should always be requirement that any pilot who has no mic can fly while on CoOp.
      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

its a pity the comms in arma don't allow for inter-group chat channels. Imagine being able to set comms channels to talk to each individual group.
        Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
          its a pity the comms in arma don't allow for inter-group chat channels. Imagine being able to set comms channels to talk to each individual group.
          Mixing the VOIP and TS is a great way to communicate int he game. The TS can be used for group intersquad comms, while the VOIP can be used intrasquad and global.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Good point. And this should've been enforced for a while now.

We need to start relying more on both TS and VON and less on VON only.
            TS should be used for leadership and special elements (exemple: Pilots, Armor, etc..)

Whereas VON should be used for intrasquad (group channel) and direct comms ONLY.

PL would brief SLs over teamspeak, and then it would be the job of SLs to brief their squad over group channel.

We have a channel commander feature on TS...lets start using it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
            The BigC

Comment

So all players need to be logged into TS then because at any point a 2IC may need to step up to SL?

I love the idea but we need to be very clear with the channel layouts and ensure all players that log into the server have a properly set up TS (something I haven't bothered with on my new rig as VON has been all we use). I would also suggest a server console type message to indicate that we are using TS as well now?

I say all this because I can envision us trying to get geared up for a mission and spending a good deal of extra time waiting on people to install, set up and log into TS.

< Pesimist :row__579:

Comment

I don't think it is necessary for everyone to be logged in to TS ..

Depending on the mission length, even the 2IC wouldn't have to be on TS. The more people you get on TS, the closer you will get to the "Side Channel" problems.

Even if people aren't talking on the channel, they are still HEARING the radio chatter. They aren't concentrating on what's around them, they are listening to the radio. That is fine for a leader, that's what they are supposed to do. But if EVERYONE does that, situational awareness goes out the window.

I very much agree with your pessimistic thoughts on setting up TS though. If everyone had to do it, it would take twice as long to start a mission. It can already take up to an HOUR to get a mission rolling, and I think it is starting to become a serious problem. TS was supposed to help with that, by reducing radio comms, not make it worse.

Whereas VON should be used for intrasquad (group channel) and direct comms ONLY.

PL would brief SLs over teamspeak, and then it would be the job of SLs to brief their squad over group channel.
                Exactly what I was thinking. Each squad member doesn't need a long winded briefing about how the battle plan is going to work. All they really should be concerned about is how their squad is going to operate, and where the other friendlies are. The leaders can worry about the rest.

Furthermore, the 2ICs of the squads don't have to be in TS, they just have to be aware that if their leader dies (in a no respawn) or disconnects, they will need to get into it ASAP.

Comment

No, I am not suggesting that all players need to be on TS, only the main command elements:
                  • PL
                  • SLs
                  • Pilots
                  • and Arty, as Arty communication should involve PL and SLs, but need not clutter all channels with '' move twenty meters west...".

An important issue was raised above regarding 2ICs. If we make this TS SOP a regular protocol then over time we should see a sufficient number of regulars TG TS-enabled, thus facilitating the readiness of 2ICs to jumb into TS if their SL is killed. I do not envision requiring 2ICs to have TG TS as a minimum requirement. At this point it would be better to focus on having SLs not die as a minimum requirement. The death of SLs is happening far too often and suggests that many things need improvement. This perhaps merits a separate discussion.

Again, I am not suggesting a writ-in-stone rule, but something that should be encouraged, and, more to the point, will be a factor in my decisions as PL vis-a-vis the minimum requirements for taking a command role (here we have seen other PLs also demand the use of TS for SLs and Air, so I am merely formalizing an existing protocol and announcing my own intentions). I have even seen an SL unilaterally announce to the platoon that he is only available via TS!

There is merit to the repeated insistence of the basic command element TG TS SOP outlined above as it effectively encourages regular players who gravitate towards command, air and arty to acquire TG Teamspeak. In this week alone I know of one person who has indeed installed TG's TS for this very purpose, so people will and do respond to the request to have TG's TS channel available if they are to be in command and related roles.

The point is not to make this a hard rule, nor to require all players to do so, but to foster best practices among the regulars.

While many SLs do indeed favour the use of TS for command comms, it is an organizational issue that largely rests on the insistence (or not) of the PL.

Also, not all rounds involve the number of players which render comms a problem, so this issue of TS command SOP should be seen as contingent on platoon size.

I'll repeat my original 'memo' here to highlight the limited scope of this ad hoc SOP:

"Unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise, I will only use pilots who have TG teamspeak (TS) available and can switch to TG's ArmA command channel for in-game comms. Command elements such as SLs and pilots should be prepared to use all available best practices such as TG's TS command channel.

It will take a while to communicate this to all of our regular pilots, but unless there is overwhelming reasons for not doing so, only those players who have TG TS enabled will be selected to be pilots when I am PL.

Obviously, I make no claim that this should be enforced as a TG SOP."
                  Last edited by E-Male; 10-15-2008, 01:00 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok, this sounds good to me now. Basically all the regular TG players should have TS set up and open but not in channel while playing. This will ensure that the most likely people to be PL, SL, 2IC, pilots and arty are ready in a moments notice to go live in TS should the situation arise. For the casual players and pubys they never need worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                      ... all the regular TG players should have TS set up and open but not in channel while playing. This will ensure that the most likely people to be PL, SL, 2IC, pilots and arty are ready in a moments notice to go live in TS should the situation arise. For the casual players and pubys they never need worry about it.
                      An excellent summary of the issue -- thanks.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X