arma v pr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arma v pr

ok guys im getting tired of pr, i would like to know how arma compares to pr. if you guys can do this i most likely will buy the game :)

Re: arma v pr

It doesnt compare. Arma and PR are two very different games, while pr is an fps shooter first and realistic second Arma is a reality sim first and a fps second. While in PR is made up of rushing an objective dieing and respawning, in a good mission for arma you die your dead end of.

PR was a good game I played it before i found arma, but it bored me after all it was just a harder version of BF2 really. When I found arma ive never looked backed to PR the size and choice avaible in arma is so much better than PR could ever have really.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

They are two different forms of entertainment. Abyss did a good job summing up as I had the same type of journey to ArmA, after playing ArmA all the "realism" of PR seemed silly as it is very artificial constraints put on the game to attempt to make the Bf2 engine a sim. The scope of ArmA is much larger and there is much more freedom in completing objectives(not just capture the flag).
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I went the Opposite direction.. From ARMA to Project Reality. I think mostly because the lack of time had to play... I can get in a Full PR Server for an hour and play a good game or so.. In ARMA..it may take 40 minutes just to get enough folks together and get your planning done etc..before you get moving. Now when ARMA get's rolling there is No Comparison.. ARMA is a much more in depth and involved playing experience. You get Vested in the mission. In PR... Eh..you just try a different approach if everything heads south..

If you have the time..and want a true SIM.. ARMA is the way to go.. If you want to play a game..have fun and move on.. Stick with PR.

Just my 2 cents..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Like the guys said. There is no way you can compare ArmA to PR and vice versa. They're both different game.

Like most of the guys, i started playing PR before making a move to ArmA. Never looked back ever since. Dont get me wrong, I had loads of great moments on PR (this is where i met the |TG| guys) and this game has its charm no doubt.

But the thing is, whereas PR only scratches the surface of teamwork, you have a whole lot different aspect of it in ArmA. ArmA is the icing on the cake when it comes to tactical FPS / Sims / call them whatever you like.

Mind ya that the learning curve for ArmA is a lot steeper than PR's. And aside the game's learning curve, you have TacticalGamer's learning curve. Whereas when you're done learning how to play ArmA, you have to set aside what you learned and start doing it the |TG| way. But once you're gone through all of this, this is where you actually start to discover's ArmA's real potential.

It has to be the best 30$ i ever spent on a game.

You can get it for like 5$ on Ebay nowadays, and its totally worth it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

from a pr players point of view....
            i like arma much more then pr. the project reality mod is great and blacksand did a great job with pr but arma is wat they are trying to make pr

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
              I went the Opposite direction.. From ARMA to Project Reality.
              ... and we sure miss you for it peardog.:icon23:
              Dizlor

Comment

Hey brown, i think Trallic was dabbling over here last week, maybe hit him up in your forums and get a few of you together, and have a basic entry night in domination, which is a persistant mission, and when you are on, dont be afraid to chat to the regs, they will steer you guys right!

Comment

Like the guys say brown, ARMA is a full realistic battle sim. Missions take much longer time than PR, the area to operate in are much bigger and the controls are many more. There is also more downtime preparing etc. And contact with the enemy also is very brief compared to PR.

It is a really rewarding great game though when you can get everything going right and the teamwork is there. The things you can accomplish are much bigger than in PR.

I just wish i had more time to play it! As Peardog says, ARMA is time consuming and can take a long time to get going. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Superfast View Post
                    I just wish i had more time to play it! As Peardog says, ARMA is time consuming and can take a long time to get going. :(
                    I totally agree and that's why I prefer missions like Warfare and Evolution that you can hop in with a few buds and get some decent gameplay. However, many pubbers can not handle free form missions and quality of gaming breaks down, that is the side effect.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

I have followed the same path, played PR for a long while and loved it. Then I hear about this ArmA game and tried it out. I just couldn't go back to PR after playing ArmA. It just left me wanting more.

However I think both games are as good as the people you play with. In ArmA though you can tackle a mission appropriate to your squads size, PR doesn't realy deal with that (not the mods fault though).

I love ArmA but do need to take breaks from it sometimes as I don't always have the time to commit or the patience. Time is key for this game because in some missions each soldier is critical for success, I honestly feel guilty leaving half way through a mission in ArmA.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                        I love ArmA but do need to take breaks from it sometimes as I don't always have the time to commit or the patience. Time is key for this game because in some missions each soldier is critical for success, I honestly feel guilty leaving half way through a mission in ArmA.
                        I originally tried to go back to PR for breaks with ArmA, but that didn't work for me so I do POE2 instead. It's different enough to be a break, but not as bad as playing vanilla BF2.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

I wrote a comparison a while ago and for the most part it's still accurate.

The number one difference about ArmA and PR (in a TG sense):

Players.

TG ArmA is simply NOT being played on a regular basis right now. you will be LUCKY to find 10 players playing on an average night, and if there is 20 players on a weekend, thats considered a great turnout. 70% of the time (and recently, much higher than that) the TG ArmA server sits vacant at 0 players. Dont believe me? Just check gametracker.com it will give you exact player populations history on both TG Arma server#1 and TG Arma server#2.

Compare that to the near 24/7 population of the TG PR server, where even at 4am you can find a decent game which is most of the time at top capacity (62 players) and it makes for a harsh comparison.

Also, if your looking for mostly TvT (players fighting players, not players fighting AI) in TG Arma, you will be gravely disappointed as it rarely happens and is never as organized as a typical round of PR. The player base is unfamiliar with fighting humans, and most do not seem to want to learn to get better at it, using simple tactics such as suppressive fire or flanking manuvers. This is a harsh criticism but from my perspective, is mostly accurate and I believe its due in large part to the complacency that comes with fighting an unintelligent AI system, where you can exploit the quirks of the AI to your advantage. However there are exceptions (just like in PR) and great leaders can turn that status quo around quickly.

There are however many merits of ArmA, it is definitely worth getting and trying. It is much more simulation orientated, has a much better feel and overall pacing, unforunately I dont think the player base has caught on to all that ArmA has to offer yet.

I would recommend ArmA to you immediately though even with its shortfallings, try it and then make your own comparisons, or you can search for that thread I made a while ago. Maybe I will repost that and update it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                            TG ArmA is simply NOT being played on a regular basis right now. you will be LUCKY to find 10 players playing on an average night, and if there is 20 players on a weekend, thats considered a great turnout. 70% of the time (and recently, much higher than that) the TG ArmA server sits vacant at 0 players. Dont believe me? Just check gametracker.com it will give you exact player populations history on both TG Arma server#1 and TG Arma server#2.

Compare that to the near 24/7 population of the TG PR server, where even at 4am you can find a decent game which is most of the time at top capacity (62 players) and it makes for a harsh comparison.
                            Ill take the smaller quantity of our ArmA players over the larger quantity of PR servers.... As much as I liked PR, and even though it is "different" than vanilla, the situation with the players still turned out the same, for me anyways. Just my opinion. I prefer lesser quantity/greater quality over greater quantity/lesser quality ANYDAY.
                            Dizlor

Comment

i would like to thank all of you guys and hopefully il see you on arma or pr some time :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X