Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impromptu Sunday "Event"

This is very late notice, but ..

I wanted to make this thread to gauge interest in a "training" night for this Sunday (26 OCT 2008).

Start time would be 15:00 EST, end time 18:00 EST.

The server would be Server 2, passworded.

The mission would be "Merlin - Training System by Dr Eyeball" (link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3999). I don't think the mission is loaded on the server, so it would need to be loaded.

Basic plan would be to have a group of existing leaders become the "instructors", and create small mission scenarios that could be used as "drills" to work on things like:

- Reaction to Contact
    - Reaction to Ambush
    - Section Attack in Open Ground
    - Section Attack into a Built-Up Area
    - Combat Patrol
    - Reaction to Ambush (Convoy)
    - Reaction to Contact (Convoy)
    - Etc.

The first 30 minutes (15:00 - 15:30) would be dedicated to letting the instructors "get a feel" for how to use the editor, myself, I messed around with it some when I found out about it, and I will spend some time Friday/Saturday to learn as much about it as I can. Hopefully this will help answer any questions on how to use it, and make setting up the scenarios much faster.

I would like it to run as such:

1) A leader is chosen to be the Instructor. They create the Scenario.

2) A leader is chosen to be the Scenario Leader. They are given the details on the Scenario. They are given 5 minutes to set up a plan, choose their team, arm their team, and give a briefing.

3) Scenario is played out, try to keep them under 25 minutes.

4) After Scenario completion, EVERYONE is present for a de-briefing. This is where any comments, concerns, criticisms, questions can be discussed. This process should take no longer than 15 minutes.

5) Repeat until 18:00.

Each Scenario should take 45 minutes to complete. So, we should be able to get 3 of them done. Depending on how many people have to leave/want to stay, we could do more.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

If you would like to attend, post here. Keep in mind, I would LIKE that everyone there would be willing to lead a Scenario, but if you don't want to, that is fine, the more people that show up the better.

Depending on the numbers we could run 2 Scenarios at the same time, in different areas.
    Last edited by beita; 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM. Reason: Added more information.

Re: Impromptu Sunday "Event"

Would be up for it. Might come in late due to the fact im working 'till 17h00.
    If there is no problem joining in late, count me up. I'll help you out if you need.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

I'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
        I'll be there.
        ...And get your mic plugged in mate.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

I can't make it until about 20:15 hours but after that I will be available for several hours.

Comment

Great idea Beta. I'll be there if you're allowing people outside of TG to come to this.

Comment

Wish I could make it as it sounds like a good time, but i'm going camping this weekend. Could always use a little training/practice. Hope all goes well!

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.

Comment

I will be there.

Comment

I'll be there if you're allowing people outside of TG to come to this.
                  Everyone is welcome.

I read some more on the capabilities of the mission, if this does indeed go well, this mission would be a very, very strong candidate for replacing Domination as the "default" mission.

You can "save" mission templates and paste them later. If this can be done automatically, or even with a few simply clicks, presto, you have pre-made missions that could be used when population is low, or a more complex scenario isn't desired.

Really interested in trying this mission out, seeing how stable it is, see what limitations we run into.

Comment

Should be there. The entry at Armaholic has an impressive list of addons; I trust that we shall not need any of them to make it work?

-BoD
                    BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Originally posted by BarnacleofDoom View Post
                      Should be there. The entry at Armaholic has an impressive list of addons; I trust that we shall not need any of them to make it work?

-BoD
                      Well, I was just messing around with it offline.

As far as I can tell, you CAN use the addon by placing the addons units/weapons/whatever in the mission.

But you don't have to.

I am pretty comfortable with making units/buildings/objectives in it. Just need to get some people on to figure out the parts that need other people to work. Looking very nice so far.

Comment

Good idea...a couple of questions have formed in my head though as to implementation.

There are obviously a number of different ways to "train" per say or "teach". Therefore what is the goal of the session?

To introduce and train new leaders?
                        To inroduce and get people thinking of new tactics/appraoches to pretty standard routines in given scenarios?

Then there is the style of event. With the 3rd INf Training map, I could place a team in the field and tell them to go from here to here. I made up a very quick verbal brief then took a vantage point to observe their progress. During this time I was able to direct the guys in how they should approach certain objective area's, where they should be looking for contact, their positioning to best protect themselves from any inbound contact and target objective. Once they had this, I could throw a few enemy troops into the mix and it became a "Live" fire excercise.

By doing something like this, the Instructor is "training" on the fly so to speak and it works quite well.

The other way is to set scenarios and observe let the leader do their own thing then give a debrief afterwards. We can do that pretty much with any mission we currently have the server and that form of training is a little more geared toward "you do it your way first, then we show you how it might have been better".

Both methods are very good and different people take different forms of instruction/leadership in different ways.

I need to get up to speed on Merlin mission and will try to do so over this weekend and will try to make myself available as required for Sunday.

My other qestion is exactly what we wish to cover as 3 hours really is not that long when you start getting into things and the list of what we could do seemed quite long. maybe make the training a little more consise and focused?

Good idea, let's make it happen.
                        BD1
                        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

The primary goal is to have each person in attendance lead one (or all) of the following (in order):

- Section Attack in Open Ground
                          - Section Attack into a Built-Up Area
                          - Reaction to Contact
                          - Reaction to Ambush

Convoy stuff, patrols, etc. can be done some other time.

With Merlin, you can "reset" a Scenario VERY quickly. You Save the Scenario, then Reset the map, the Load the Scenario. Now it is ready for another attempt.

Ideally, each person present would run through the Scenario, using their own style. Once everyone has done it, everyone will sit down and go over what worked well and what didn't work well from the previous drill.

Repeat for each of the types.

The main idea is not to teach a specific way of doing things, that would not go over too well, most people would think their way is better. Instead, it is simply a familiarization with the various ways it can be done. Practice makes perfect.

I disagree that this can be done with any of the missions we currently have. Most missions take about 1 hour to complete. After that time, many people will not want to spend the next 10 minutes going over a detailed AAR about what happened.

Having the AAR after the drill, all fluid in game, will make it much easier to get immediate and useful critiques on what happened, instead of hazy recollections.

I am using "Instructors" as a loose term here. The Instructors will actually be part of the group or even leading the group involved in the Scenario. Depending on how comfortable people are with setting up Scenarios in Merlin, we may be able to get a bunch of different Scenarios made at start, then move through them for practice.

If 5 people make a Scenario for each of the situations (Section attack in open ground, Section attack in built-up area, reaction to contact, reaction to ambush), this will keep the drills fresh and useful.

I am open to any suggestions on how to run it, I just wanted to get something going as Merlin is a very useful tool from what I have seen and I think it could benefit TG greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                            The main idea is not to teach a specific way of doing things, that would not go over too well, most people would think their way is better.
                            Why would this not "go over well". Anyone who has served or as you are currently, learning the basics in the RW, surely realises that military tactics are not learned through commitee. But undestand what you want this particular event to do.

There is no reason why someone could not "teach" the exact same things they were taught. maybe we do a seperate session for different things like dealing with contacts dependent on environment. I'll show you how we can do this, with some of our existing missions.

We had a little ginger haired Welsh RSM who was the biggest "Ass" in the world, however he knew his stuff and people listened to what he taught. Whether they chose to do the exact same thing in the field is their decision, but there is no reason why "teaching" lessons cannot be useful.

We have lots of people on this server who have "experience" of situations and who have been trained by the best in their respective countries. If some people dont like being told what to do they should:

A: Steer clear of the military.
                            &
                            B: Take more leadership opportunities in TG ArmA to try things their way.

If Merlin is what people want to use then great, sounds good.

But there is a difference between calling something "training" and a group of people doing the same mission over and over to to see different styles of leadership, if ultimately we are saying there is no "right or wrong way" to lead, which we are. I think the value here is looking at how someone approaches a problem/scenario and that's probably the most interesting part of a session like this, which is useful.

We'll try an get it loaded.

Ultimately the objective is to minimise casualties and achieve the objective, how one goes about this is varried.

As I said, good idea.
                            BD1
                            Last edited by Blackdog1; 10-24-2008, 07:42 PM.
                            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

im down

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse