Leadership Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership Roles

A couple quick thoughts on leadership of late on the server.

Of late I have noticed some people joining and not taking their responsibilities seriously when it comes to fulfilling a leadership role, i.e. squad leader. If you pick that position, simply be a leader. Otherwise pick one of the many other roles. Some of you are finding out, I as well as the other admins will not tolerate crappy leadership. I will not hesitate to kick or even ban a player if they choose the leadership role and do not fulfill that role. I have zero tolerance for it because it ruins everyone else’s experience in-game. It is only amplified when there are 50 people in game under that leader. We will not punish anyone who at least tries, but you can really tell who is making an effort and who is not. Some people want to try and do it and I will afford them the opportunity to learn and possibly become a good leader, those people have my utmost respect for at least making the effort.

If you do not want to be in charge, that is fine too. There are plenty of roles (actually most of them) that do not require you to make any command decisions. Not everyone is a born leader and it can be a daunting task trying to lead a massive element. Just remember that you did not want to lead, so show your unwavering support for the person in charge. Or if it is simply not your turn turn, then back off! Let the people in charge do their thing no matter how skilled you are compared to them. Maybe offer them a little support, but let them work through specific missions and make decisions- none of us started as experts...

Support positions. If you are a Air/Ground/whatever support, follow the orders of the leader only. If you go rouge on some SL while you are a pilot and start engaging targets not designated by the SL, you will not last on the server. That is a peeve of mine when people engage anything unless the SL/PL/TL says so. Yes even things like CAS are support roles, so if you do not like it choose something else.

Lastly, my admins are not there to be the Squad Leaders every round. I personally was the SL in virtually every game I played over the weekend; that is not why we are here. I am confident that each one of my admins can successfully lead any mission, but they are there to keep order on the server and help groom up and coming players. That alone will distract them from being leaders every time. And when we ask for a volunteer for SL/PL, we are not asking to be a pain; we are doing it so we can help organize a smooth event so everyone else can enjoy.

***Now all that being said, I have really witnessed some fantastic leadership from some unlikely gamers as well as regulars. I applaud all of you that have done a great job on some tough missions of late. You guys stepping up are making the server great and showcasing how fantastic gaming at TG can be!!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Leadership Roles

Not stealing BigC's thunder, and not preaching. That being said: It's not that tough. Seriously, you don't need to exhibit Napoleanic levels of strategic mastery to give a good performance as team/squad/platoon lead. If there's ONE lesson you can rely upon, remember a simple battle drill. When your unit is in contact, have one part lay down suppressive fire while another seeks a concealed route to the enemy's left or right flank. It's an easy tactic to remember. It works in real life, and it works in the game, too.

Bite off what you can chew. Start at the team level. Lead 3 or 4 dudes. You're not making any tactical movement decisions, but you'll be conducting command and control of those guys (telling them what sectors to cover, passing spot reports from them to your squad leader, carrying out squad leader directives, etc.)

Even when you get up to squad/platoon level you just have to remember: it's a game. There's no lives at stake, so any crazy idea that happens to result in your command being wiped out... you simply learn from.

If you're afraid of some asshat not following your rules, don't. Everyone here is generally (sometimes there are unfortunate exceptions) here to play some milsim, and are very receptive of orders. ANY orders. Don't feel stressed out about making quick decisions: make a sound decision before you make a hasty quick decision. BUT make a hasty decision in lieu of no decision at all.

If you're interested, check out some literature on leadership. Once you understand basic concepts on how to lead men in the field, it easily translates into a computer game.
    Last edited by Gill; 01-06-2009, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Teamspeak.. Leaders teamspeak please..
      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Good post C...It is only recently I have stepped up to proper team leadership in ArmA, I used to be happy with my small fireteams as 2iC but you know what, after last nights mission in particular, I am loving being an SL, you get credit when we rock;) and you get your section donkeys to carry all your crap so I can run away faster in a firefight!:) Seriously though guys, leading is a GREAT experience, do not be put of, this is TG, we are all here to have fun and support each other, hell, Gunner of Doom has had ArmA about 2 weeks and has led more missions than a lot of people. Do not be afraid to step up, and it gives us a rest, after a 4 hour marathon, the last thing you want in the next missions is to have to lead again!

Comment

Amen to that Biggie.

We also need, *sigh* again, to enforce the use of teamspeak especially from teamleaders. Lately we've had a good number of people joining teamspeak while we were ingame and kudos to that.

Still, if you lead something. Be it a squad, a section or a whole platoon, you should be on teamspeak.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

When I was a HMMWV leader in a convoy mission, I jumped on Teamspeak. I didn't like how I couldn't ever hear my crew in my HMMWV because people on Teamspeak were always talking. When each squad is a group instead of each fireteam, it makes the in game von work effectively in my opinion. Because of the way it was setup on the convoy mission, There were about 8 or more Leaders talking on teamspeak. I'm sure it works fine when there are only 3-4 leaders on teamspeak but when it is high numbers, it seems like it would be a bit of a pain.
            |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
            TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

We can rearrange the TS channels a bit, if everyone thinks it would help. WE could add things like various elements as well as vehicles. I will look at it tonight.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
                When I was a HMMWV leader in a convoy mission, I jumped on Teamspeak. I didn't like how I couldn't ever hear my crew in my HMMWV because people on Teamspeak were always talking. When each squad is a group instead of each fireteam, it makes the in game von work effectively in my opinion. Because of the way it was setup on the convoy mission, There were about 8 or more Leaders talking on teamspeak. I'm sure it works fine when there are only 3-4 leaders on teamspeak but when it is high numbers, it seems like it would be a bit of a pain.
                This is the biggest issue I have with TS and it can actually be counter productive to this whole comms issue. The in game VON works perfectly well if mission designers create squads that can use "Group" effectively.

As you say, when you get more than 4 people on TS + VON it can be a real mind screw, to try and gauge who is saying what. I have heard huge chatter on TS that has affected comms in game.

The main issue even if more channels are set up in TS, is channel selection. If channel selection on TS can be bound by a key, then it could work fine, if not you have to jump out of game, switch channel, then go back, etc etc, which is a pain. Likewise players who turn their TS headsets off, because they cannot concentrate, cant then hear when leadership is trying to get hold of them.

This is when TS does not work so well, however up to 4 leaders I think it works very well.

The VON can work very well, but as you say it needs the mission designer to consider "VON comms" when creating the elements of the mission to help reduce the babble that goes on.

But to be fair this is no different from RL, where you hear constant chatter and you just have to "tune out" your ears until you hear your callsign.

Use of callsigns is the main area that needs improvement on the server, rather than how we use VON and TS. Basic principles of radio use need to be understood first and foremost.

As a mode of practice that everyone should adopt is as follows:
                DIRECT CHANNEL - As your default channel. Pretty relaxed as to how you speak on this and is just like RL. If you start gobbing off or babbling constantly or messing around. Dont be surprised when your SL shouts across to you, to Shut up and concentrate on looking for enemy. Someone who is constantly chatting, is not concentrating on their surroundings.

GROUP CHANNEL - for Tactical in game information flow key to your unit, informing your SL and your team mates of situational awareness events. SL's will use this to convey orders to his unit.

SIDE CHANNEL - STAY OFF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That includes texting. Unless you are an SL, or you lose your SL, or units like air, armour or arty need to contact squads to check for position status etc. PCO and SL's should be the only ones using Side at all times when and where possible.

GLOBAL CHANNEL - GO ON IT AT YOUR PERIL!!!!!! ADMIN CHANNEL. Admins use this to convey messages relating to the game and to sometimes be a link between "the dead" and the "living" in game, if for example 1 person is left and 30 people are dead waiting to play. On rare occasion PCO's may use Global to get high level information to everyone, or to send a text message to new recruits joining the server to report in and who to report to.

This is the basic way we use VON here at TG. Obviously having Squad Leaders on TS helps in that the whole game does not have to listen to leadership discussion and adds a certain element of realism to this sim.

The game does not have a great high level, easy to use game radio system, but what we have can be used very effectively.

The main area everyone can improve is comms use. Whether you are talking to your SL, PCO or other team members the following would be good practice to get into.
                For example:

Player - "Blackdog1 to Command message"
                then wait.......
                Wait for Command to note your request he may simply say "Go" or "Blackdog1 go" or "Blackdog1 hold" or "Blackdog1 standby". If no response is given, say again "Blackdog1 to command message". make sure you wait at least 30 seconds before requesting again as there is nothing worse for a PCO to get multiple incoming message requests and someone rerequesting every 10 seconds as they have not been answered.
                Platoon Command may be in the midst of issuing new orders, resupply, movements or involved in dialogue with another squad, so simply wait your turn and PCO will get to you.

This can work as follows:
                "Blackdog1 to command message"
                "Copy Go"
                "Command we have contact North, 4 Tanks, type unknown, with 2 infantry squads heading toward us, range 1000m and closing, over"
                "Copy BD1, Hold, take defensive position and weapons yellow, sit rep within 500m or contact over"
                "Copy command, BD1 out"

Looking at the very simple contact report above, you give the key information that the PCO needs in a simple and clear format. Do not ask "what do we do....Holy crap we have tanks coming at us or any other banter".

First and foremost, you give the direction of the contact. Either Front, North or degrees. It is easier at squad level to give direction as front, rear, right, left, etc. To other units nearby it is easy to use degrees to give them an idea of the direction of the contact and for command who may not be in visual range, simply the compass direction is usually quickest.

Then, what the contact is? (4 tanks, type unknown) and any supporting forces.

Advising the SL or PCO what the contact is doing is critical to the message. If they are stationary, moving either toward or away from your position, enables your SL or PCO to make a decision as to what he wants the squad to do.

Range lets the SL/PCO know roughly how long he has to make a tatical decision, combined with the "closing" let's the SL or PCO know in a calm manner that a decision is required and fast.

The response is simple enough to understand.

Many make the mistake of giving a burst of information on their very first broadcast to the PCO, hitting the PCO with grid co-ordinates, etc etc.

The above form of contact report is a simple way to manage basic information flow. Wait for the PCO or SL to request further more detailed grid co-ords, or detailed information on the contact type, exact numbers etc. Forcing a PCO or an SL to open their map and scan for the exact co-ordinate, can cost time and ultimately team-mate lives.

But the simple procedure of everyone starting any radio comm on a busy server with;
                "Playername to Command/SL/other message" will help radio comms on the TG server enormously and I really encourage all of you to get into this basic format when playing on the server.

PCO's and SL's try even when in the midst of other radio comms to recognize the message request as soon as possible.

I hope this helps some of our newer players to some basic radio etiquette and improves the level of radio comms in game.

BD1
                BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Im not sure if anyone else has this problem, but when I'm on TS and Arma my mic turns to static. If I am just on one, my mic is fine.

Comment

You need to have your TS on a push button on your keyboard not bound for anything else. Then you need to ensure that VON is off, when you push to talk on TS.

Should sort your problem out. VON and TS working together at the same time is not good.

BD1
                    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrPerea View Post
                      Im not sure if anyone else has this problem, but when I'm on TS and Arma my mic turns to static. If I am just on one, my mic is fine.
                      Known problem depending on your sound card. What kind of sound card do you have?

All I can set is you need to fiddle with ALLLL the settings related to your sound to get it work, and there are a lot of possibilities.

Comment

Everything BigC said is spot on. The 2 most important points for me are

1) Have respect for the person leading. Being patient with them and showing committment and interest makes their job a lot easier.

2) Don't expect the same person to lead all the time. It's enjoyable but can be a drag if it's all the time. Step up and take a go - it's fun :)
                        Jex.

Comment

Persanoly I think the should be only SL and supporting teams like air or armor on TS. Reast of the team should only use VON.

And about Direct Channel, I realy dont like to use it because it has very small area of effect (atleast for me). Something about 5m. You can bearly hear anything beyond thith range.

So only way you can use Direct Channel without fearing that person you talk to wan't hear you. Is when you stand face by face or can look at person you talk to. And thin can not be done in active combat. (Well you can do it but it can lead do awful consequences:))

My greatest dream is to add one more "Shout Chanel". It would be the same ass direct but will cover much larger area. Maybe 20 or more meters.
                          Sorry for my English :)
                          Indirect Fire - Basic: Advanced:
                          Basic Forward Observer -

Comment

Originally posted by Valtasar View Post
                            And about Direct Channel, I realy dont like to use it because it has very small area of effect (atleast for me). Something about 5m. You can bearly hear anything beyond thith range.
                            It's much more than 5m if you a) have your sounds settings set so that "Effects" is close to the max (or high relative to the other 2 channels) and b) if the person that speaks has its microphone set up correctly (i.e. the input maxed-out and usually also the 20db boost on). I can hear people speaking about 100m away and still understand them if they are 30-40m away.

Direct channel is the greatest thing, because it adds so much immersion and it helps a big load to locate the speaker. Also, in "hot" situations it's important to keep the group radio clear in order to not disturb your whole group with stuff you only want to tell the guys right on your side.

It seems true that sometimes people can barely hear you on Direct Channel, but I guess this is to their fault having the Effects channel very low in order to understand the Radio. Vehicle crews should definitely do this to understand the Radio of their other crew members over the loud engine. For infantry, there is not so much reason to do this, they should be able to hear what's happening around them.

My greatest dream is to add one more "Shout Chanel". It would be the same ass direct but will cover much larger area. Maybe 20 or more meters.
                            Just shout into your mic. ;)

Comment

Bert's right, your sound settings must not be set propperly, i can hear people a decent distance. another thing that helps is people relaying commands. I.E. traveling in a collum, front man gets contact front left, he will yell it out. then the person behind him and so on down the line. This way it is known everyone knows where the enemies general area is and so the last guys in line can hear. ussing side channel can mess with other units and get them thinking they have contacts. You will probably (hopefully) be with your squad and they can't hear your group channel because how the teams are set in most missions. shouting helps to when under fire :).
                              |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                              TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...