Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venturing into Multiplayer

Hi guys,

Well I would like to say I am very happy I found this community, purchased ARMA a while back and am loving the SP aspect of the game. Have also been putting considerable time into learning to pilot jets properly, putting myself through nav drills and setting up CAS situations in the editor. However I have yet to venture into the multiplayer side of the game, mostly, although im shamed to admit it, because it all seems quite overwhelming lol. There is SO much information around on the varying aspects of the MP game. I am quite new to this kind of level of tactical play, after coming from a more arcade type experience found in COD4 etc but it is something I had yet to find until I found ARMA. I just have some basic questions in regard to this.

[1] What is the best way for me to get "up to speed" with the multiplayer side of the game, most specifically in relation to the realistic way that TG seems to offer.

[2] Im kind of worried about joining the server and then making mistakes which would jeopardize my teams experience. Are the servers quite open for new players who have no idea what they are doing but very willing to learn lol ? Will anybody be able to assist me online and help me to learn the ropes ?

[3] Are any of the TG servers open 24/7 ? I see Server 1 seems to run Sunday to Sunday ?

[4] I realize fully that there are probably many more experienced pilots than myself, something which I am continuing to practice so as to be useful as a pilot and not just a waste of a valuable team asset but on which maps and at which points in the game do jets become available for pilots wishing to use them. Also what is the etiquette to taking vehicles.

[5] Can anybody who is a member of TG forums (like myself) join the servers ? Or are they just reserved for members who hold some kind of account ?

[6] Do I need any specific Mod's installed to play the TG servers ? Or just the vanilla game.

Anyway sorry for all the questions, I would just really like to experience ARMA as it was designed to be played and you guys over at TG seem to have exactly the game play style I have been looking for in a MP game.

[7] I don't currently have any VoIP software or even a Mic yet, is this essential ? Or do people still play successfully without it.

[8] I have read some comments regarding AI in the multiplayer co-op modes, however I take it most people do not use the option of your own team of AI when playing on this server ?

Thanks to anybody who can offer some assistance to a (very) new player joining a real tactical game for the first time.
    Last edited by Fortran; 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM.

Re: Venturing into Multiplayer

Well welcome Fortan,
    I have been playing here for a little while let me see if I can answer some questions of yours...

1. The best way for you to get up to speed on what we do, is simply come in and play. Let your squad leader know that your are new, and they will help you along.

2. Everyone makes mistakes. My first day, beta was leading a squad into a town. I saw a radio tower, laid some charges, and blew it up without warning. I think I killed 4 or 5 team mates. Again the best way to learn, is play.

3. Yes from what I know they are open 24/7

4. It's preferred that you know how to fly before you pick something like a helicopter. But if think you can, then go ahead and pick it. From what I have seen the etiquette on picking vehicles is a first come first serve.
    What we usually do, is when in a match everyone deselects them selves from their roles, then leader spots are filled. Once leadership is filled, then you can pick the pilot spot, if there is one.

5. Yes anyone can join

6. You will need the ACE Mod, check this thread to learn more about ACE, http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...vironment.html

7. You don't need a mic to play, only if you wish to lead a squad. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a mic though, as you will find your self quickly struggling to type, as well as fly if your a pilot.

8. It's people VS AI on TG. Not people and AI vs AI.

If you are going to do CAS, I can offer you a few lessons that apply in multiplayer.
    -Engines are very loud, don't hover a helicopter directly over a friendly squad, unless you want to start taking small arms fire...
    -Stay back until called, you must be patient as CAS. One way to make everyone very angry with you is to charge in and get killed first thing in a mission.
    -A lot of people like to fly, so be prepared to not get the CAS role every time.

Welcome!

Comment

New players are welcome indeed.

In fact, since you posted on the forums FIRST ... hop right in. Mistakes happen, new players and veterans alike make them, not a big deal, next mission (or respawn in some cases) is not that long off.

As for the VOIP, I would strongly recommend getting it. Times two if you plan on being a pilot. You can play without it, but it is much easier and more enjoyable with a mic.

Comment

Many thanks MrPerea great answers and also thank you beita! Very much appreciate the assistance. So just to clarify all TG servers run the ACE Mod ? Thanks again mate.

Comment

Hey ARMA People.

I'm Serjikal from BF2: Project Reality, and had ARMA installed a little bit, but then uninstalled it after I just could not get the hang of it.

After reading some posts, and looking into the ACE Mod stuff that TG has on their server, once I get back to campus I might re-install and get all updated, and join. ARMA sounds really interesting so we'll see how it goes. I usually play medic, so I was really interested in how it works. Also like to fly Helicopters, but I'm sure, like in PR, that all the Air Assets get taken pretty quickly.

Look forward to seeing you all in game. Just going to ask this now, but is the thread in the main General Discussion Sticky section updated to include everything we need, addon/other mod's wise, to actually play on the TG server?

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post

Look forward to seeing you all in game. Just going to ask this now, but is the thread in the main General Discussion Sticky section updated to include everything we need, addon/other mod's wise, to actually play on the TG server?
            4 things you need to play on both ArmA servers:

1. ACE Mod
            2. ACE Island Pack
            3. Avgani 1.3
            4. Afghan Village 0.6

To play on one server, you only need ACE, to play on the other you need the islands.

Comment

Welcome to both.

Don't forget about patch 1.15 beta. You can find the links for the AddOns here in the foruns.

@Fortran: My opinion is, do not spend any more time in single player, just jump into the servers and have a taste of multi player. If you need any help, everyone will gladly help you.

We don't have many missions with aircraft's, so I think is better for you, to practice with helicopters.

See you guys in the server.
              sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                4 things you need to play on both ArmA servers:

1. ACE Mod
                2. ACE Island Pack
                3. Avgani 1.3
                4. Afghan Village 0.6

To play on one server, you only need ACE, to play on the other you need the islands.
                ty much. might see me sometime next week.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Read the comms/ fire condition sop also, there are certain channels to use based on your role. remember to follow fireteam leaderrs, squad leaders, and plt leaders orders. not listening to those above you can lead to unwanted consequences. This isn't a server where you can run off and do as you please, once you see the level of team work here though, you will find the experience most enjoyable.

p.s. can anyone message me on how to get avgani, afghan, ace islands and beta mods working with ace? a link to instructions would suffice.
                  |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                  TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Yes I did take a look at the channel list earlier today, will make sure to stick to it. Many thanks for all your help guys, just downloading ACE, the 1.15 beta patch and the other suggested downloads. Hope to see some of you online. :)

Comment

Well Id say I look forward to playing with you tonight, but I booted up my computer this morning and it says Disk 0 not found :'(

Comment

Well I downloaded and installed everything as suggested:

1: Arma Beta 1.15 (had 1.08 from Arma Gold install and patched to 1.14 before adding 1.15)
                        2: ACE Mod (seems to be 1.0 beta)
                        3: ACE-Islands
                        4: Also another seperate mod folder that I stuck all the "suggested" addons compatible with TG servers.

However whenever I try to connect it just says "Bad Version, Server Rejected Connection"

I am using the ArmA Launcher with those addons/mods ticked to join (also tried with just the 1.15 beta / ACE and ACE-islands turned on). Am trying to connect to TG Server 1 64.34.178.169

Anybody have any idea where im going wrong ?

Originally posted by MrPerea View Post
                        Well Id say I look forward to playing with you tonight, but I booted up my computer this morning and it says Disk 0 not found :'(
                        Ahh thats unlucky mate, if you get it fixed and I can get connected I will see you on there :)

Comment

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I'd say this would be a good thing for you to read (along with the TG SOP etc):
                          http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html

Anybody have any idea where im going wrong ?
                          When you launch, look at the bottom-left to see what version of ArmA it says you're running. You're probably just not running the beta patch correctly.

Comment

Ahh! wow im honoured mate, I actually found your manual before I found myself here. It is a FANTASTIC piece of work! Seriously amazingly detailed. Am planning to try read my way through the whole thing over the coming week.

Anyway thanks again, problem is now resolved, the ArmA Launcher wasn't launching the 1.15 mod properly for some reason. I am now running everything from a shortcut with the proper switches added and joined no problem.

EDIT: Although now im constantly spawning out in the middle of the ocean lol ?
                            Last edited by Fortran; 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Re: Venturing into Multiplayer - Now Can't Connect ?

Originally posted by Fortran View Post
                              [1] What is the best way for me to get "up to speed" with the multiplayer side of the game, most specifically in relation to the realistic way that TG seems to offer.

[2] Im kind of worried about joining the server and then making mistakes which would jeopardize my teams experience. Are the servers quite open for new players who have no idea what they are doing but very willing to learn lol ? Will anybody be able to assist me online and help me to learn the ropes ?

[3] Are any of the TG servers open 24/7 ? I see Server 1 seems to run Sunday to Sunday ?

[4] I realize fully that there are probably many more experienced pilots than myself, something which I am continuing to practice so as to be useful as a pilot and not just a waste of a valuable team asset but on which maps and at which points in the game do jets become available for pilots wishing to use them. Also what is the etiquette to taking vehicles.

[5] Can anybody who is a member of TG forums (like myself) join the servers ? Or are they just reserved for members who hold some kind of account ?

[6] Do I need any specific Mod's installed to play the TG servers ? Or just the vanilla game.

Anyway sorry for all the questions, I would just really like to experience ARMA as it was designed to be played and you guys over at TG seem to have exactly the game play style I have been looking for in a MP game.

[7] I don't currently have any VoIP software or even a Mic yet, is this essential ? Or do people still play successfully without it.

[8] I have read some comments regarding AI in the multiplayer co-op modes, however I take it most people do not use the option of your own team of AI when playing on this server ?

Thanks to anybody who can offer some assistance to a (very) new player joining a real tactical game for the first time.
                              Fortran welcome.

The answers you have received are all spot on. The easiest way to learn is to simply let your teamates know when you start a mission that you are a little "green" and could use some help and I have no doubt you will get all the help you need.

A good way to learn is to stick close to some of the more veteran players, see and hear how they operate. Everyone has their own style and this is either based on RL experience or personal preference as to how they wish to play the game, but ultimately it is all about good teamwork.

Once again, welcome and enjoy.

BD1
                              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed