This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeamSpeak Radio for Leaders Solution

This is an instructional post made for the benefit of the bunch of leaders on the TG ArmA servers who use teamspeak to keep the leader talk away from 'side channel' and have been waiting for me to tell them how to do it with our new agreed-upon (a few of us at least) system with proper channels and all. I was going to tell them how to do it on TS but that's too slow and impractical.

As we already know, only the leaders need to use it. A Team leader who don't have it yet can be brought into it on the spot in a mere minute by binding 'whisper to channel "0_command"' to a key, so they can speak back to the commander. But the commander must have full functionality, otherwise he won't be able to hail individual leaders. If the other leaders have all binds too, they can speak directly to the leader of another squad/vehicle, which is practical ("Alpha, this is bravo, is that your men over by the church?")

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download the zip file: (copy and paste to address bar) rapidshare.com/files/183229644/ArmA_TG_Radio_stuff.zip.html

2. Load up TS and go to SETTINGS > KEY SETTINGS, then click "Import" and load the keybind file from the zip file.

3. When we play, just join the correct channel you belong to. Alpha goes to the alpha channel, commander goes to the commander channel etc.

4. Use the keys that are default to talk to the other teams and your commander, or spend time to rebind them yourself if you don't want to use the default numpad bindings. Consider rebinding your arma keys instead, as the system is hard to put anywhere else on the keyboard.

5. Don't forget to unbind these keys in ArmA or suffer key overlap issues.

* Irecommend binding all those keys in-game to 'direct speech', which will make your character heard by the people around you even when you're on the radio (and alerts them that you are busy). Realistic, practical and awesome.

OPTIONAL:

(copy and paste to address bar) punkr.de/download/download.php?f=TN1.0.4_Setup.exe

"TS Noise", a program that makes teamspeak sound like a VHF radio (military style), is free to download and easy to use. You just install it and run it at the same time as TS. Highly recommended, highly immersive. Even more bad-ass is that I included the radio-beep signal that is heard in the real life AH-64 Apache helicopter at the beginning of an incoming radio transmission. You will find it in the attached files. This really makes the 'radio' stand out and you pay more attention to it. And now when we have individual channels, you know that beep was meant for you. To use the Apache radio sound, just unzip the file "click1.wav" into your TS noise installation folder (yes, overwrite the original).

-----------------------

KEY CHART & RADIO CHANNELS

Here's a list of the radio channels available and which key is what channel. It is 'push to talk', hold the corresponding key to talk directly to that channel. It doesn't actually switch to other channels or anything (though that is possible with the shift key). To help you mentally organize this in your head, here's a mental chart. The numpad is organized in three rows:

Lowest key row: The Foot soldier channels
    1: Alpha
    2: Bravo
    3: Charlie

Middle key row: The Special/support Infantry + Vehicle channels
    4: Delta
    5: Echo
    6: Foxtrot

Upper key row: The Armor + Air Support channels
    7: Golf
    8: Hotel
    9: India

0: 0_Commander (the commander's channel)

Numpad del: Speak to all channels (might have binding issue since my keyboard is Swedish - you can check this bind yourself in TS if it doesn't work. It's the key between numpad 0 and numpad enter)

To make it even more practical, [LEFT SHIFT + channel key] will make you move into that channel instantly. This makes on-the-fly arrangements and changes super easy in game (and even more so the more people are on TS with this setup).

--------------------

On the TS server, the channel list should look like this. The channel names must be identical or the binds won't work:

ArmA TG Main channel (or whichever we're using)
    0_Command
    1_Alpha
    2_Beta
    3_Charlie
    4_Delta
    5_Echo
    6_Foxtrot
    7_Golf
    8_Hotel
    9_India

The channels can be created by anyone by right clicking anywhere and choosing "create channel", then setting it up to allow sub-channels, then adding each of the channels needed. If admins make it permanent we don't have to bother with recreating them from time to time.

----------------------

Admin of the TG server, I strongly propose you change the layout on the server to be like this:

-
    Armed Assault (Server #1)
    0_Command
    1_Alpha
    2_Beta
    3_Charlie
    4_Delta
    5_Echo
    6_Foxtrot
    7_Golf
    8_Hotel
    9_India
    ArmA Admin
    Command Element - BluFor
    Command Element - OpFor
    Dead :(
    -

Most of the old channels should be kept for when we play Team vs Team missions, where we must revert to using just one channel per team again.

-----------------------

There is one issue still to be dealt with regarding using TS + radio channels. What when a fireteam leader dies and someone else takes over?

Different (sometimes combinable) solutions to work around it:

1. Have a 'no.2' in the team who also on TS to take over if the leader dies.
    2. Have team leaders be much more vary about their own safety, not taking point etc.
    3. Have the remnants of the fire team join another fireteam that has its original leader.
    4. Have the substitute leader use typing when interacting with the commander, and having less pressure on that team to perform.♦
    Last edited by Mikko; 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM.

Re: TeamSpeak Radio for Leaders Solution

This sounds really good.
    |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
    TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Very nice we definantly need all these channels back. Cant wait to try it out
      PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Tried these tonight and so far they are working great.

Comment

I will be surprised if this actually catches on. Previously TG was using a variation on the ST channel setups, including channel commander etc. It wasn't a question of whether it was a good system, it was simply that the playerbase was not on TS enough, in a large enough percentage, and enforcement of the system was not made a big enough issue to actually get it used the way it was meant to be used.

This looks like it adds some additional (in my opinion unnecessary) complications to the system, which makes me even more curious as to whether it will be able to stick around here. Good luck with this, in any case.

Comment

I can't agree that it's complicated. Since most missions we play are not in a chain of command, it's just one commander directing a bunch of teams. No one in between him and the team leaders.

What it ends up being is just one mission commander, with all the key binds (Necessary) to talk to all teams.

The team leaders need only one key - to talk to the commander.

And beyond that, it's just the team leaders using group speak and direct speak to communicate with their little teams, like always.

Almost no extra work at all, and the radio is nicely silent most of the time, making it easy for the team leaders to focus on leading their troops.

There's enough hardcore team leader guys who hang out on TS all the time that we've been using it all evening already, and I know these guys go on often :)

Comment

I have to agree with Dsl on this one, this may suit a small percentage of "hardcore" users, but here at TG we cater for the majority.

We will certainly watch how this is received, but if it looks like adding complication or people find this just too mind boggling to get their head's around, then we will not use it here.

There is a very good phrase that is used often in the military, K.I.S.S. it! Keep It Simple Stupid!

The admins will observe and see how the majority feel about it.

BD1
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Hold now, one button to talk to commander isn't very hardcore is it? Assuming the person uses teamspeak already.

Comment

The hardest thing about this is figurine out how to get on tg teamspeak. After that, all you need to do is press the corresponding num pad key to talk to who you want. This can keep side channel a lot cleaner. Only issue will be that not all the team leaders in big games are even registered with tg.
                  |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                  TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Here is the deal with TeamSpeak and forcing certain channels. In the past we have required people to utilize a specific layout during open play and it was a miserable failure. People get confused and things deteriorate even faster when the server is open and we have guests here that may not even be using TS. For events and specific organized gatherings on a locked server we can make it work.

Of late, I can't even get the regulars here talking on the correct server. Most people join server #1 on TS, then end up jumping on server #2 to play. Can you imagine the confusion that has been causing people as you all talk? At least get on the proper server and once everyone gets comfortable with that, maybe we can talk about setting up keybinds and things like whisper,etc.
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

It worked and everyone (a large amount of people playing ArmA) was in on it. But since now the channels were deleted and we're not allowed to use it anymore, we'll never know if it would catch on or not.

Comment

Mikko,

Your missing the point. It's not about the single push button to talk, it's about getting people to read all that you posted above, then download a file, then in game remember which button to press, etc etc etc.

If people are disciplined and the mission is correctly set up, the VON can work perfectly well. Add in the basic use of TS for leaders and it's simple.

I agree with BigC, we have much more fundermental issues to deal with first before we start worrying about specific channels.

We very much appreciate the interest and the desire to help, so please do not take this as anything personal and I look forward to catching up with you in game soon.

BD1
                        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

They really don't even need to read what he posted. When you install it, it shows what all the buttons do. That's it you need to know to use it. If someone can't figure that out, I hope, for humanities sake, they never breed...
                          |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                          TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Your missing the point. It's not about the single push button to talk, it's about getting people to read all that you posted above, then download a file, then in game remember which button to press, etc etc etc.
                            I really wish I had simplified the post to the uttermost extreme, and left only the necessary instructions left. I was afraid that there'd be people who would take one look at it and go "wow, so much stuff?".

I'll give you an example of yesterday when we actually used it. In most cases, no one read anything, and they were merely asked to bind a single key on the keyboard. A few had me email the full binds to them. One or two got it from this thread but didn't read the post.
                            It's as easy as that, to bind a single key.

And this is for team leaders - the rest (by far majority) of players don't need to do anything, and they don't even need to be on TeamSpeak.

It's a completely optional system. When enough 'hardcore' leaders are on who like this thing, they can use it for everyone's benefit (seems to happen during periods every day). When not, people revert to whatever simpler or non-existant system they want. Most players don't go on TS and they don't lead teams nor play as mission leaders either.

Edit (forgot this part!):
                            If people are disciplined and the mission is correctly set up, the VON can work perfectly well. Add in the basic use of TS for leaders and it's simple.
                            VON does not work perfectly well. It works adequately when there's few players playing. There's (with more than 16-20 players) a truly enormous non-stop chatter going on with every single person having to listen in to the mission leader's conversations with all the other leaders.

With TS and every leader in a single room, the common soldier is spared the constant chatter, but the leaders are still forced to tune in to the chatter of all the others. If there are a good amount of people on (say 17-30) it is horrendous talk going on for the leaders. They cannot even speak to their team to give orders until there's a break in the teamspeak chatter.

I personally can not play as team leader with all the constant irrelevant crosstalk going on, and if people use side chat, I often turn off the radio channel all together in the sound settings. But then I can't put it back on when the mission ends. I also sometimes mute all the other leaders + commander + others but then I can't hear what they say in direct speech, and I can't unmute them in between missions.

Comment

Mikko, sounds like you have given this allot of thought but to most of the TG pubies it might be to complicated (me included).

Reason: what i look for when i join TG is a quick game not involving to much hassle, i can se my self join TS and get in a leaders channel, but sorting out TS and keybinds, getting everyone in a leader slot on TS and configuring their keybinds have them memorize all of them. It just sounds to complicated.

This might work for a scheduled event where everyone is on the same page! But not on a server where people disconnect and connect more then they tend to play the game.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X