Track IR 4 arrived

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track IR 4 arrived

-------------> admin please move this under the already present track ir 4 thread, thanks

Hi Gents,

just wanted share my joy about this momentous occasion. Yes its finally arrived. The track ir 4. I would appreciate it if the people that already have this great tool could give me some tips on how to get the most out of ARMA with it!

look forward to floods of info!!!!!!!!!!

best

RAMP OUT
    Last edited by Rampart_CH; 01-15-2009, 05:07 AM.

sigpic

Re: Track IR 4 arrived

To be honest all you need to get it working for arma, is put the settings to look up down left and right, any thing ells like zoom and lean usualy get in the way, and can often lead to death. In game of course lol.
    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

ok cheers U I will keep that in mind!!! 2 more hours then off from work......cant wait :)

sigpic

Comment

Track ir is a godsend, it really adds to the immersion of the game. I guess you have to fiddle around with the settings to find what suits you the best!

For arma i have to agree with ivan though up-down left-right is what tends to work the best for me to!

Remember there are allot of good games with track ir support other then arma be sure to try them out :)

Comment

I don't have much difficulties with the zoom and lean functions, i prefer it over using the keyboard to do it. Maybe its just a matter of preference. Just make sure you uncheck the "true view" box, otherwise it will feel awkard trying to zoom in while ur heads turned.

Comment

Recommend at least trying out this profile:
            http://dslyecxi.com/files/trackir_pr...py_of_ArmA.xml

Comment

Did anyone ever try doing a freetrack? I'm thinking of doing one, any suggestions?
              sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                Did anyone ever try doing a freetrack? I'm thinking of doing one, any suggestions?
                I have built one, it's extremely simple if you take the 1-LED version which allows turning your head up and down, left and right. Costs are about 2 euros and it works quite well. "Hardest" part was to get some power to my head which I solved by running a cable from a small 4.5V (or so) PSU along the back of the hat on which I put the LED. It feels like earphones with cables, so not overly problematic.

Unfortunately, I have no comparison to TrackIR. But I don't use it normally, because I find the need to keep your head rather straight and stiff to the display quite straining even with dead zones etc. The other big problem is to get your head back to the straight position once you are looking around. It's not like with Alt+Mouse look, where you can let go of the Alt key and you look forward again but you have to center the view by moving your head back. And very often I would overshoot so straightening my view would take 1-2 seconds which is way too long.

Chances are that I did not exercise it enough or didn't setup the dead zones good enough, you should give it a try yourself, the costs are minimal. Maybe I'll give it another try as well, it was definitely fun as long as the situation was not hot.

Comment

Originally posted by bert View Post
                  But I don't use it normally, because I find the need to keep your head rather straight and stiff to the display quite straining even with dead zones etc. The other big problem is to get your head back to the straight position once you are looking around. It's not like with Alt+Mouse look, where you can let go of the Alt key and you look forward again but you have to center the view by moving your head back. And very often I would overshoot so straightening my view would take 1-2 seconds which is way too long.

Chances are that I did not exercise it enough or didn't setup the dead zones good enough, you should give it a try yourself, the costs are minimal. Maybe I'll give it another try as well, it was definitely fun as long as the situation was not hot.
                  That's because you're using a 2DOF system. The 6DOF of TrackIR4 behaves very differently. I had a TrackIR1(?) IIRC, it was 2DOF - I never used it for exactly the reasons you cite. 6DOF TIR4, though - completely, utterly different. It's a thousand times more comfortable to use.

Comment

well gents thanks for your posts. I shall messing around with the setting this weekend so I will let you know how I get on.

best

Ramp

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                      That's because you're using a 2DOF system. The 6DOF of TrackIR4 behaves very differently. I had a TrackIR1(?) IIRC, it was 2DOF - I never used it for exactly the reasons you cite. 6DOF TIR4, though - completely, utterly different. It's a thousand times more comfortable to use.
                      Great to know, I still have all the parts it needs to build a 3-LED version. I'll definitely do that and hopefully succeed. :)

Comment

Originally posted by bert View Post
                        Great to know, I still have all the parts it needs to build a 3-LED version. I'll definitely do that and hopefully succeed. :)
                        If it works, please make a tutorial, saying which webcam you used (how you removed the filters), Led's, resistances, etc... and most important if it decreases your FPS.

I'll wait for that Bert.

Originally posted by Dslyecxi
                        But freetrack now supports 6DOF, that's why I was asking.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                          If it works, please make a tutorial, saying which webcam you used (how you removed the filters), Led's, resistances, etc... and most important if it decreases your FPS.
                          Well, most of it I can tell you right away: I used a MS LifeCam VX-1000 (cheapest model I could get with low CPU usage according to the freetrack list) and I did not remove the IR filter and used a red visible light LED. The drawback is, that you can't use it in bright daylight. But I did not want to screw around with the webcam. Resistors were mostly according to the freetrack manuals and to some calculations I did in order to not put too much current through the LED. My PSU also allowed to change the voltage so I could regulate the LED's brightness.

The 2-DOF version did not have a big impact on the FPS with a core 2 duo, the 6-DOF version probably has a slightly larger CPU demand, but with recent CPUs it's not crucial.

I'll post back here when I built the 6-DOF version, but that can indeed take a while.

Comment

Hello fellas

My system isn't exactly TrackIR, but a cheapish 6-DOF tracking system that works absolutely wonderfully. CPU load depends on the webcam, but should never be a problem with today's CPUs. I hear an excellent alternative for a webcam is a Wiimote, so if you have one you're already half-way there. I didn't have one and they're also very expensive up here, so I went for a 10€ Opticam(generic Chinese) webcam.

1) Get a webcam or a Wiimote and a TrackIR TrackClip Pro. The Freetrack forums have plenty of advice on different webcam models.
                            2) Remove IR-filter from the webcam(if it has one) and apply a visible light filter. A piece of that brown thing from an old floppy disk works great. Again plenty of advice in the Freetrack forums.
                            3) Plug everything in and install necessary drivers
                            4) Install Freetrack
                            5) Configure Freetrack
                            6) Play

This works in every game where TIR works, and tracking is extremely smooth and responsive even in broad daylight.

Comment

But does Trackclip pro have a light source? I though it reflected the IR source from trackir.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...