ACE Cobra/Apache Gunner Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE Cobra/Apache Gunner Questions

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to ArmA and ACE and I just fired it up with my buddies yesterday. We came across a Cobra Gunship and I'm pretty clueless as to what to do to successfully operate the gunner's role.

Some things I couldn't figure out, though a full explanation would be nice as well:

Is there a FLIR screen as the Cobra Gunner? Or is it just that overlay thing?

How come when I choose some weapons using the scroll wheel, some of them don't work and some of them lock my screen facing forward?

Other small stuff I can't remember, but I'll work with the responses.

Thanks in advance!

| |

Re: ACE Cobra/Apache Gunner Questions

The lock you forward because you have to enter the interface to use them. Mouse button 2 will drop you to your camera and you can operate the gun. Different types of ammo are selected here, such as High attack vectors, or direct attack. Main key is patience, most CAS birds don't make it past 5 minutes due to inexperience and lack of patience.

Comment

not sure if you would know this or not, but you can also go into the mission editor and place one (double click on the map, navigate the list of units until you find the one you want), set "Player as Gunner", and change its setting of "In Formation" to "Flying" ... then hit OK, hit the PREVIEW button, and fool around with it until you figure it out.

Comment

to look through the sights press V by default, the overlay is pretty much just an extended HUD. To use hellfire missles you must turn on the laser designator via the scroll menu. To use tows you must be stationary and all you have to do is have the tows selected then point and click where you want it to go. hope this helps
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys - I will go try this out now.

| |

Comment

Correct procedure to use Hellfire is:

1) Turn on FCS Overlay
            2) Turn on laser
            3) Select the 'AGM-114 (HF)' in the user action menu (and double-check it is selected as weapon)
            4) Point the laser on what you want to shoot and shoot.

Comment

socomseal hit it head on with the Cobra. I tried pressing V and it indeed lets me look down the sights. Very nice.

I'm not sure if the same is required for the Apache's gunner seat, and if not, I'm pretty sure Inkompentent's method will work for that. I'll have a look into the Apache later tonight.

| |

Comment

AFAIK the Apache received the cobras FCS in 1.02. But I have yet to test it.

I have seen many commanders loading up the cobra with only a pilot and then having this person provide CAS with only FFARS.
                Its like giving a soldier a state of the art assault rifle and then ask him to use it to club down the enemy.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
                  I have seen many commanders loading up the cobra with only a pilot and then having this person provide CAS with only FFARS.
                  Its like giving a soldier a state of the art assault rifle and then ask him to use it to club down the enemy.
                  Indeed. A Cobra without a gunner is total crap. Not that FFARs are bad. They are handy for pre-planned CAS strikes. But to have a present CAS providing cover to the ground troops it's simply retarded not to put a gunner in. It gets AT LEAST twice the situational awareness (I'd say many times more, since the gunner doesn't have to worry about keeping the helo in the air), the M197 cannon which I'd say is the most important weapon on the helicopter, and if it is equipped with such: TOWs or Hellfires.

If one doesn't want a gunner in the helicopter one could just as well send up an AH-6.

And to go further on the question of helicopter gunnery: It's very difficult to employ FFARs efficiently without either having visual cues, or without planning the strike before the ingress (i.e. having a FAC on ground to direct the strike), so at the very least; please bring your smoke markers for your M203s! Even if they don't land on target they are good to use as references.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                    And to go further on the question of helicopter gunnery: It's very difficult to employ FFARs efficiently without either having visual cues, or without planning the strike before the ingress (i.e. having a FAC on ground to direct the strike), so at the very least; please bring your smoke markers for your M203s! Even if they don't land on target they are good to use as references.
                    x2

If anyones interested in calling in CAS from rotary platforms. I have a revised/shortened version of procedure that works well with Arma if interested.

I wouldn't mind hosting a training mission for those interested and time available ofcourse.

I will post a separate forum on how it could work better.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Well I need the training:)
                      Last edited by sparks50; 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                        x2

If anyones interested in calling in CAS from rotary platforms. I have a revised/shortened version of procedure that works well with Arma if interested.

I wouldn't mind hosting a training mission for those interested and time available ofcourse.

I will post a separate forum on how it could work better.
                        I'm down.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X